Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:20 PM   #1

Hi Guys

I've noticed a really odd behaviour that my E3 does when you change batteries:

Make a change to the settings - specifically from LSF Jpegs to RAW + Jpeg

Power off and replace the battery.

Power on and check the settings - any changes made are simply forgotten.

Has anyone else noticed this with their E3/E4XX/5XX ?

Cheers

Harj

: o )>

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:10 PM   #2

Hi Harj,
.................my E-3 was handy and I just now simulated the battery exchange after setting the camera to RAW + LSF jpeg from LSF jpeg. I removed the battery for about 20 seconds then put the SAME battery back into the E-3.

The setting for RAW + LSF jpeg remained set .

Was there not a recent thread here regarding the setting RAW+jpeg in the E-3 failing?

I believe I tested for whatever that was about and my E-3 did not do the 'funny' thing then nor did it just now.

There of course is a possibility of battery voltage level being below circuitry component requirements in which case I could believe the settings may not have been permed into the flash memory off the GO/OK function. Does the happening occur with any of your batteries regardless of charge?

I have one(1) off-brand battery in my collection that I no longer trust in the E-3 because it does not hold charge very well when used with the E-3 but I never saw anything strange except for rapid charge depletion. I do use that battery with my C7070WZ and with my E-300, it works about the same as the OLY branded batteries there.
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 3:15 PM   #3

Hi Bob

From memory this has been going on for a wee while - I just got on with it but it happens with any file type setting and not just RAW + Jpg. This happens with any of the three batteries I have ( 2 Oly and one big name brand). Today for example the low battery icon started to flash so rather than wait for the battery to get really low I swapped it for the non Oly one only to find that it lost the change I'd made earlier. At least now I know its possible that its my E3 only that has this quirk.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:02 PM   #4

........I have done more testing and can make the failure happen. It seems the settings are permed to memory as set only when the camera is turned to OFF following the changes.

I find.............................................. ...
Quick Menu OR standard menu sets

1. make a change, ANY change
2. remove battery -- do not turn to OFF before dumping battery
3. reinsert battery
4. check settings, the change did not perm

So, it is possible this scenario fits your steps................

If the camera is turned to OFF before removing the battery then the new setting is permed to memory, as long as the camera is in the ON condition then changes done by either menuing procedure will stay in place as last set. But if the battery is removed without turning the camera OFF then the settings will revert to last permed settings when the camera was turned to OFF

........this is how my E-3 works & I hope this helps.

EDIT: I just reread yout initial post and see the 'power on /power off' statements so perhaps my findings are what are goofy. But turning mine to off does work to perm changes so in that case it is not quite like yours. Now will someone else do the test to show which direction this will go?
_________
boBBrennan

Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:32 PM   #5

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
If the camera is turned to OFF before removing the battery then the new setting is permed to memory, as long as the camera is in the ON condition then changes done by either menuing procedure will stay in place as last set.
Harj - this is my experience also - changing batteries doesn't cause settings to be lost. I think there's a problem with your E3. You got one of the early ones as I recall, and if so I think it has some bugs in it.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:44 PM   #6

Hi HarjTT

The only way i can dublicate your setting is setting the camera to one of the my mode settings

make sure your not in my mode 1 or 2

if its not a simple oversite then i think its your E3 mate.

let us know how you get on
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:27 AM   #7
OCD

Just tried it on mine Harj and it resets back to the last used settings.

Have you updated to the latest Firmware?

Steve

OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:08 AM   #8

OCD wrote:
Quote:
Just tried it on mine Harj and it resets back to the last used settings.

Have you updated to the latest Firmware?

Steve

Steve,

.........I am curious, did you test by turning the camera to OFF before removing the battery OR did you follow the steps I listed and remove the battery with the camera system in the ON conditon? ....... OR BOTH

tnx,
_________
boBBrennan
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:11 PM   #9

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the replies regards this. Now I noticed several months ago that if I just swapped the batteries without powering off the camera that it would revert back to the earlier settings - learnt that the hard way! So I've made it a habit to power off and then swap out. The E3's got the latest firware - I'm going to re-test the camera and see how its behaving. Personally I would have thought once you've made a change with the camera powered on and applied them that these are written to memory and should be saved (its not as if your working on a cisco router and need to copy the running config to the the startup one to retain the settings).

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old Aug 22, 2008, 6:40 PM   #10

...........I'm with you on that Harj. It makes no sense to me that Go/OK does not mean, "I want it and I want it now and forever unless I change it again".

BTW, I did not know about removing the battery while in the ON condition not perm ing the settings because I thought the Go/OK made that happen.

Do let us know your findings.
____
boBB