Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:40 AM   #1

Wonderfully silent and fast to focus, this lens reminds me very much of the ring motor-USM Canon lenses I was using prior to switching to the Olympus system, and the image quality looks to be truly excellent. I can only imagine how fast this thing flies on an E3.At any focal length, this lens focuses REALLY close....no need to use an extension tube or closeup lens with this piece of glass...it can do it all by itself. Got it today and shotseveral images across the range and atvaried distances, posting them to my E510 page, they start here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...2_qosMV#P-1-15

Some of my favorites are posted below. Between this and the 70-300, a two lens combination covering a virtually non-stop range of24-600mm is quite nice...and easy to carry...

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:27 PM   #2

Quite beautiful......Love them.

What a winning combination of lenses. Like I said, perhaps next year.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:40 PM   #3

Hey Greg,

Ken has already stated what I was thinking....no need to repeat it.

I also did have a chance to look at the photo gallery. I like how you mounted the image of the Eiffel Tower-well done.

If you ever diecide to sell off the 14-54 lens let me know..................

Zig

My last sentence may be verboten...if it is I won't do it again.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:50 PM   #4

The 5th picture is the awesomeness!
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 6:37 PM   #5

Hi Greg

Some superb pics from the new lens and the 510. Now how do you think 12-60 compares to the 14-54 only in terms of IQ, esp as you now have experience of both lenses ?

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 7:00 PM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Now how do you think 12-60 compares to the 14-54 only in terms of IQ, esp as you now have experience of both lenses ?

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Hard to say based on the 30-40 images I took yesterday. Image quality-wise, they are probably very close.The 14-54 isn't an "ED" lens, but I've never had an issue with chromatic abberationssome might figure a non-ED lens would exhibit...I've looked in the past and just haven't seen it. I wouldn't necessarily rate optics as a main reason for buying a 12-60 if you already had the 14-54.

The differences to me come down to the wider view at 12mm vs. 14mm and the full-time manual focus where you can grab the focus ring and manually focus at any point without having to change from AF to MF.

The 14-54 has always had an AFaction where it gets 99% "there", then there's this little last adjustment and you're in-focus. The 12-60 just goes straight there.....extremely fast. I'm sure the E3 maximizes the speed even further, butthe 12-60AF speed isPLENTY faster with the E510 too. I'm hoping to give it a try this weekend shooting in some indoorlow-light situations with my FL50 to see if there are any AFhesitations in lighting similar to what I'd see at a wedding reception.

I've run into that a time or two where the timethe E510/FL50/14-54 combohesitated justlong enough it was a little disconcerting....the couple's standing there and....nothing....happens for 2-3 seconds and you know they're wondering why you didn't already press the release, when the reality is you did 2-3 seconds ago and the AF system hasn't settled in on focus.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:54 PM   #7

Well....didn't get to do much in terms of people shots, but I did get downtown today to try some landscapes and check out what the complex distortion of this lens looks like, which isn't that bad at all considering the convenience of the range.Iset upa folder for images shot with this lens..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...9_ZFBRT#P-1-15

I originally set contract to -1 and sharpening to -2. After 4-5 images, I changed contrast to -2 as well and didn't wind up adding any of either back in when I processed these in Studio, so I didn'texactly helpthe images to be as sharp as theypossibly could be, but I also didn't turn off the default sharpeningthat Smugmug applies. It's quite possible these could actually look better than they would have had I added any sharpening! Sometimes I can get a little carried away.

Distortion isdefinitely there and very visible in images like this of the John F. Kennedy Memorialwhere there are straight lines running through the image..

Here, I processed thefile again in Studio, using the distortion correction tool. The correction made was manual so isn't a complete correction, but it is close...

The distortion varies in appearance depending on the subject. Here, I decided I's just accept the image as/is, with no correction..

12mm is plenty wide...

But I still like and look forward to the even wider coverage of the 7-14 I used here, shot from the same spot..

I love the closeup abilities of this lens with no additional accessories needed..

I setthe contrast to -2 to try and avoid clipping highlights..

In hard glare, there was no avoiding it, but there was none of the blue-ish/purplefringing you often see around such detail..

At 24mm, you can do somefun near/far subjects..

Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:09 AM   #8

And a few more from the past couple of days. First, a set from the windows at the office. The complex I work in is gorgeous. I believe, when NBA (basketball)and NHL (hockey) pro teams come into town, they stay at the hotel..

Then a few from this afternoon in a park I visited..

The closeup ability of this lens at any focal length is extremely convenient..

Focus is fixed on just the very front portion of this bloom. At 100%, the sharpdetail in that areais quite nice..

At 12mm..

and 60mm..

As close as this lens focuses, you also don't need to shoot wide open to isolate small areas against nice, out-of-focus backgrounds. Here, I used f8 at 60mm, yet the depth of field is very narrow..

Old Sep 1, 2008, 6:19 AM   #9

good morning Greg,

As good as the 12-60mm is, your shots continue to reinforce the fact that the 'guy' holding the camera ultimately determines the quality of the image.............As for the E-510, Idon't seeanother camera body improving onthose images any.

You mentioned in the earlier post, that you set contrast to -2 and sharpness to -2. Did you use the same settings for these new images? Also, What mode did you shoot in?

:|

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:33 AM   #10

Hi Zig,

I used those same settings here too, and then added some of both back in in the RAW converter, as well as some exposure compensation as needed to stretch the histogram as far across the graph as possible without going off the right-handend and clipping highlights in the main subject. I've been using Aperture Priority the last several days. The shots at the office were all taken at f5.6, while the park shots were all at f8.