Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:28 PM   #1

I got invited to a press event this week by one of the clothing companies that I've got know in the last few months. I took along my E3 just to shoot some candid shots and if I got the chance to take some cat walk shots.

What I came to realise the real benefit of the 2x crop factor and the FOV that with the E3 and the 35-100F2 gave during the event was how valuable it is to be able to shoot wide open F2 to F2.5 at ISO 800, without flash and get at 1/200 to 1/160s and enough DOF to get the right look for the shot. The main event photographer shooting with a D200 and my friends 40D were shooting @ f2.8 to F5.6 ISO800 and were' getting 1/10 to 1/60s unless they switched to flash. The FOV and the fast High quality esp the zoom lenses is a really big advantage in my book and made me really think of how good the 14-35F2 or the Leica D 25mm 1.4 would have been during the event (although we all would like a drop in the price of the top pro lenses!)

You can find 6 pics from the event just here:

http://fairygothmother.co.uk/blog/

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2

HarjTT: You lucky dog!! You neglected to mention that the clothing company was ladies lingerie! Don't try to fool us that you were working hard. I bet you had more fun than a barrel of monkeys shooting those ladies. I really liked the "two to tease" shot.

Okay, I guess you were really working, since you can remember all the technical stuff like f-stops, lensand speed,etc.

Good job. (Or should I say that it's a tough job but someone has to do it.) LOL.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:33 AM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
how valuable it is to be able to shoot wide open F2 to F2.5 at ISO 800, without flash and get at 1/200 to 1/160s and enough DOF to get the right look for the shot.
Hi, Harj

It's funny - my only real problem with the 4/3 sensor is that it doesn't have enough size to produce as low-noise an image at high ISOs, so I'm limited to shallow DOF at times when I need a lot ofDOF. I always figured you'd be happy with fast lenses wide open since you're doing portraiture but if you had to shoot scenes indoors where you needed a lot of DOF you'd be wishing for a good ISO 3200 or 6400 (which unfortunately gets you into the world of $5,000 camera bodies).

Ted

PS: great shots!

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:23 PM   #4

Hi Steve, Ted

I wasn't actually working but I was enjoying the tea, cakes and cookies during the day as well as getting to chat to some really fine ladies.

Now I only really thought about the FOV and DOf when I did start to take a few pics and the events main photographer was having to shoot at 1/60s and I was able to shoot at nealry 1/200s in the same light. I didn't want to shoot at ISO1600 if I could avoid it so you could say I was forced to shoot wide open but in some many ways it worked out really well. ISO800 is more than good in my eyes.

I think for an indoor event like that one with the 4/3's sensot we can shoot at f2 to f5.6 and get the right DOF from porttrait style shots to candids.

Regards noise, I stumbled across this little url over at dp :

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=37398

510, ISO100, Leica 25mm and banding problem SOLVED

"
It's the shading compensation setting. Turn it on- bingo, we have banding. Turn it off, and like magic the banding disappears. I don't know if this is the case for any other camera, but it is for the E510. I'm not sure if it's the camera's or lens's issue, but I hope Olympus or Leica can update their FW to fix it though. It about drove me crazy trying to solve it."

I've not checked the settings on my E3 but its pretty interesting that banding can be caused by Shading Comp setting and I'm wondering how ISO noise and banding at say ISO3200 is effected.

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote