Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2008, 7:16 AM   #1

Hi All,

Irecently ordered and received a split-focus screen for my E-510. I bought it from JinFinance, an EBay vendor located in China. Pricing was$18.95US plus shipping. I think the total came to 24.50US By the way, be prepared to wait 2-3weeks after the item ships. Slow boat from China applies in this case.

Installation is quite simple- it takes about 2minutes to remove the OEM screen and replace it with the new one. For those interested, there is a video on UTube that shows the complete process on how-to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmoirUGx4nM

The link to JinFinance is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Split-Image-Focu...742.m153.l1262

As for the spit-focus screen and how well it works;

When looking the the OPV, it gives you the classic look and feel of a 35mm slr camera. When using AF, the screen seems to "pop" into focus. In manual focus, it works as intended. Like all split focus screens, it works best when focusing on an object that has some straight lines.

I bought it mainly because I use a fair amount of OM Legacy as well as Konica Hexanon Lenses. If you don't use non-ZD lenses, then I'm not sure there are any advantages.

A couple of caveats:

1, the red auto focus light no longer appears on the screen when the lens is in focus.

2, IMO, those of you who have been accustomed to using a split focus screen on your 35mm slrs will like the screen.Others, most likely will miss not seeing the lens focus confirmation light.

3, The screen looks well made. It is sealed in a plastic pouch then packaged in a plastic container. However, there are no instructions supplied with the screen. So, if you're interested, make sure and save the Utube link.

Zig

Addendum:

This posting was not meant to endorse a particular product nor manufacturer of that product. also, this was not meant to be considered a review of the split screen as I have neither the skill set, inclination, nor test equipment required to perform a detailed analysis of this or any other product.

In the time that i've been a forum member of this site, i've seen a number of inquiries regarding the use of a split screen as well as degree of difficulty in its' installation.

I simply thought it might interest those contemplating the purchase of a screen to know that there is a detailed video that explains how to install a screen. A video, by the way, that I did not make nor know the people who made it.

Additionally, I thought it might benefit those interested in a screen to know my experience to this point.

As for any metering issues, I have not been able to discern any problems. I did mention already that I have been using the screen primarily with OM Legacy and Konica Hexanon Lenses. I have not had a chance to extensivelyuse my 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, or 35mm macro lenses to be able to comment state wether any metering problems exist.

I apologize to those that may have misinterpreted this post.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:17 AM   #2

If you are doing a review of it rather than a commercial, you neglected to mention that the exposure meter will also be off when you install this type of focus screen.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:40 AM   #3

thanks zig, i had bought a really lousy one from gadget infinity - no tab/slides around& wont focus worth a poop. i see rj's has the tab:

http://tinyurl.com/6rdszz

maybe i'll give it a try

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:55 AM   #4

Hi Zig,

I installed the Katz-Eye version a couple of years back and I like it. Their instructions were a little ambiguous but it didn't take long to figure it out.

I didn't notice any appreciable difference with metering but in low light or confusing backgroung it's occasionally hard to get a lock. If you can, find an vertical edge or something for the lens to hold on and it's fine. I was told about not being able to get the 'red dot' to work but mine does just fine along with the bleep as it locks.

Let's know how it goes and "Enjoy"

Ken

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:32 AM   #5

Here are a couple of photos that I took over the weekend after installing the screen.

Everything seemed to perform as expected The 1st was taken with a 70-300mm

This was taken at sunrise with a 14-45mm

Old Aug 26, 2008, 7:06 PM   #6

......and both are good! I especially like the landscape.

I looked into the Katz Eye at one time but the makers would/will not give instruction for the E-300 at the time so I lost interest. I do remember how easy the focusing process was with my daughter's Minolta 35mm camera a long time ago and have always wondered, why not in the dSLR boxes.

Anyway, glad you got that thing installed, it surely looks to me that it works all ok.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 7:41 PM   #7

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments. I always had an interest in getting the Katz-Eye Screen but the price, frankly, deterred me a bit. Add to that, the unknown of how to install it since no explanation was readily available and well it just wasn't worth it..

ThenI saw this screen available from JinFinance and that got my interest going again.I remember that Gwillys had worked with JinFinance and had good thigs to say about him. Somewhere along the line I came across a thread that referred to the UTube video showing the installation. OnceI saw that, it was an easy decision for me

Obviously, I don't have aKatz-Eye to compare this screen to so I'm not sure how it stacks up against it. But when shooting under normal lighting conditions i've not noticed any anomolies.

As for the sunrise, I'm a sucker for a good sunrise. I always have the E-510 in the car. Whenever I see an interesting sky, I usually head out and see if there is anything worthwhile outdoors to shoot(with my camera). What else do you do at 5am each morning.

Zig

Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:18 AM   #8

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
I looked into the Katz Eye at one time but the makers would/will not give instruction for the E-300 at the time so I lost interest. I do remember how easy the focusing process was with my daughter's Minolta 35mm camera a long time ago and have always wondered, why not in the dSLR boxes.
The reason why Katz don't provide instructions for installing the focus screen in the E-300, E-330, L1, Digilux3, is that due to the position of the focus screen and the lack of room due to the mirror position, and they don't want you to damage the camera because it is so tight; and as an E-300 and E-330 user I agree with their decision, it's not a focus screen that should be changed by average users with no camera repair experience.

As for why they don't put focus screens with focusing aids in digital cameras like they used to do in SLRs, here are three reasons I can see...
1) It's cheaper to put a plain focus screen inside a camera rather than a ground focus screen.
2) dSLRs all have autofocus lenses now with focus confirmation, (in their opinion) there's no need if the camera can tell you if something is in focus or not.
3) If you use certain light meter modes your metering will be off; while Olympus never specified, those who have seen cutaways believe the light meter sensor is ABOVE the viewfinder (at least in the E-4xx bodies)...here is an E-400 cutaway and if you look above the viewfinder you can see another optic and a circuit board on the other end of it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...Elightpath.jpg

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:07 PM   #9

Hi Zig

Thanks for the interesting tid-bit on the split focus screen and your success with one in the 510. Now it'd been good to have a really high quality split focus screen as standard in all DSLRs.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:24 PM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Now it'd been good to have a really high quality split focus screen as standard in all DSLRs.
From what I can tell from the Katz site, adding one to the E3 would decrease functionality, so as much as I would like one in the E3 I decided not to buy the Katz.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote