Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:13 AM   #11

dnas wrote:
Quote:

What I would like to see, is a "smart" mount adapter for Canon EF & Sony/Minolta A to 4/3 mount. These "smart" mounts would have built in electronics that would "translate" AF, aperture, CPU information, so that Canon EF & Sony/Minolta A lenses could be used seemlessly with Olympus 4/3 (and Panasonic/Leica) cameras. That would add a HUGE number of AF lenses to the 4/3 world.
This sounds like an excellent idea and is something I have never heard before and sounds like something that could be done.

I guess the one issue I could see happening, is related to thenusing third-party lenses in those associated mounts, whichare re-engineered by those companies too, so you'd have, with a company like Sigma and then Olympus, two "third party" companies making products that need to work seemlessly with yet another companies primary product. If you have an E510 camera, an Olympus Smart EF Adaptor andtwo Sigma lenses, if the combination works perfectly with one lens and does not with the other because Sigma's introduced a new version with something electronically differentfrom their previous generation of EF-mount lenses, who's atfault and responsibility to fix the issue is it?Would you void the Sigma 7-10 year warranty using such a combination? Sounds like a warranty nightmare situation for Olympus and is probably one reason why we'll never see such an adaptor.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:45 AM   #12

dnas wrote:
Quote:
What I would like to see, is a "smart" mount adapter for Canon EF & Sony/Minolta A to 4/3 mount. These "smart" mounts would have built in electronics that would "translate" AF, aperture, CPU information, so that Canon EF & Sony/Minolta A lenses could be used seemlessly with Olympus 4/3 (and Panasonic/Leica) cameras. That would add a HUGE number of AF lenses to the 4/3 world.
Olympus is in the business of selling their ownproducts. .As tempting as your idea is to the end user, Olympus wouldn't benefit in any additional sales of their own lenses.

My suspicion is that the camera bodies are sold at a small margin so that Olympus can make a substantiallly larger profit on the additional lens sales that naturally get generated.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:47 PM   #13

Dangerous Brian wrote:
Quote:
unless you go above iso1600 then 35mm film at iso 1600 was just crap so come on guys get real. 4/3 might always be just behind ff sensers on the isopart. but has its own advantage over ff.
Well it's certainly true that with film we paid a penalty above ISO200 and a huge penalty above ISO400.

I've been taking pictures of events in a specific room since 1988. The lighting is maybe EV4 except at one focus point (equivalent to "the stage") where it is EV 5-6. I NEVER got a good photo with film at that lighting level, and finally started to get good images with the E500 but only at that brighter focus point. Even now, I can only do that with F2 4/3 lenses wide open and that only works because at that focus point I don't need much DOF.

So what I want is to take images at EV 4 with good DOF. That can only be done with sensor ISO capability at ISO6400 or better.

This is not as unusual as you might think - many photographers need to shoot at low EV without flash while requiring either good DOF or high shutter speeds (indoor events or indoor sports, respectively). So what I want from a 4/3 sensor is good ISO performance at ISO 6400 or better. And I want to use Oly or Panaleica glass, not the FF CaNikon glass.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:09 PM   #14

I remember the first time I used 800 speed film to shoot a wedding, but it was not 35mm. It was Fuji NHG film in medium format 220 roll film with a Pentax 645.The image quality was quite beautiful, but it did take the much larger mediumformat to get it at ASA(!) 800.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:41 PM   #15

If anyone out there was to make an adapter that would allow you to attach a Canon (or other mount) lens to m43, it would be the people who developed the Dandelion chips!

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The image quality was quite beautiful, but it did take the much larger mediumformat to get it at ASA(!) 800.
If I looked at the first ISO800-1600 pictures I took with film 20 years ago, and looked at the later high ISO films in the last few years, quality has improved dramatically over the years as film development didn't stand still. The films were still as sensitive to light as before, but the grain was finer.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:44 PM   #16

Interesting ideas and points of view from everyone. Ted mentioning a usuable ISO 6400 really got my attention and I'm wondering if we'll see it yet with the Pana NMOS sensors - now if they kept say the res to 10MP but were able to achieve a good and usuable ISO6400 with improved DR would that be enough, esp if the other manufacturers went to 15MP for APS sensors? I'm curious how Pana could improve the sensor to get a good ISO6400 - perhaps they could do something like Fuji's Super CCD sensor design ?

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:09 PM   #17

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
If I looked at the first ISO800-1600 pictures I took with film 20 years ago, and looked at the later high ISO films in the last few years, quality has improved dramatically over the years as film development didn't stand still. The films were still as sensitive to light as before, but the grain was finer.
Maybe so, but I'm guessing you don't want to go back to film...

Ted
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:13 PM   #18

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Interesting ideas and points of view from everyone. Ted mentioning a usuable ISO 6400 really got my attention and I'm wondering if we'll see it yet with the Pana NMOS sensors - now if they kept say the res to 10MP but were able to achieve a good and usuable ISO6400 with improved DR would that be enough, esp if the other manufacturers went to 15MP for APS sensors?
I do think that a useable ISO6400+ is way more important than more megapixels. 10MP or 12MP is fine for me -I don't doposter-sized prints. And I suspect that anyone who does, is a pro who has customers that can fund a $20K Hasselblad DSLR...

Ted
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:03 PM   #19

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
dnas wrote:
Quote:

This sounds like an excellent idea and is something I have never heard before and sounds like something that could be done.

I guess the one issue I could see happening, is related to thenusing third-party lenses in those associated mounts, whichare re-engineered by those companies too, so you'd have, with a company like Sigma and then Olympus, two "third party" companies making products that need to work seemlessly with yet another companies primary product. If you have an E510 camera, an Olympus Smart EF Adaptor andtwo Sigma lenses, if the combination works perfectly with one lens and does not with the other because Sigma's introduced a new version with something electronically differentfrom their previous generation of EF-mount lenses, who's atfault and responsibility to fix the issue is it?Would you void the Sigma 7-10 year warranty using such a combination? Sounds like a warranty nightmare situation for Olympus and is probably one reason why we'll never see such an adaptor.
I guess this would need to be developed by a third party, such as the developers of the "focus confirm" chips for 4/3 converters. From an Olympus USER'S point of view, a 3rd party could sell lots of these!!!
There's probably ONE advantage for Olympus. If such a system could to engineered, Olympus could steal market share away from Canon & Sony, even if those owners had Canon & Sony lenses!! e.g. You have a collection of Sony/Minolta lenses, and you are looking at a new camera body. You have aquired cheaply a Canon 80-200 F2.8 lens, but cannot use it! BUT, if you buy an Olympus, you can use Sony/Minolta lenses and the Canon lens if you have the "smart" 4/3 adapters.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:10 PM   #20

dnas wrote:
Quote:
I guess this would need to be developed by a third party, such as the developers of the "focus confirm" chips for 4/3 converters.
There's an echo in here.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote