Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:42 PM   #1

I too was at a football game on Saturday with my trusty 510 and the 70-300 lens. I work the Kansas State football games, so I didn't have a lot of time to get some shots, never did get time to switch to the 12-60, but I thought the 70-300 didn't do too bad. These shots were taken at a little before 7PM. The stadium lights are certainly helpful.
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:43 PM   #2

All these shots were taken from the center part of the very top of the main stadium, about 35 rows up from the field.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:45 PM   #3

The lens focused pretty quickly. All the shots were in apeture priority, most are ISO200, the aperture was set at either 7.1 or 8.0
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:50 PM   #4

Considering that I took these shots in a hurry, I think the lens did just fine.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:52 PM   #5

This is (of course) the student section. I was across the field from that area.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:04 PM   #6

I have to conclude with a Kansas State touchdown. I was lucky to get this during the few minutes I took a break.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:31 PM   #7

spedangie wrote:
Quote:
Considering that I took these shots in a hurry, I think the lens did just fine.
Hi,

I agree..........and yes, indeed, the lightingmust have been pretty good since you were able to shoot these at ISO200.

I'm curious, the colors in thelast shot look a little bit oversaturated. Did that come right out of the camera or did you pp and do some color adjusting?

Otherwise, real nice.

regards,

zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:28 PM   #8

You were correct, the last picture is one that my husband has been playing around with in Photoshop, I used his "in progress" by mistake. I looked at the EXIF on these pictures, 2 of them were at ISO 400, the rest at 200. The exposure time varied from 1/200 to 1/400 of a second. The longer exposures were for the ISO 400.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:56 PM   #9

What is it you do at the game? I'm suprised you can both work there and keep up with an outfit like that!

I can see those purple jerseys playing havoc with the white balance system. Some are a great purple, then some are almost blue on my screen. I'm glad to see K-State played well and took care of North Texas. Texas A&M wasn't quite as good against one of North Texas' conference opponents, Arkansas State!

Good job. One thing about working the event...I'd bet you didn't have to wonder whether or not you'd be able to get your outfit in.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 3:17 AM   #10

I do a couple of jobs--the first is early security which consists of being stationed at the gate that provides direct access to the field. In three years I've never had to deal with a terrorist though, just band equipment, TV trucks if the game is televised, vendor items coming in for the north end zone concessions, etc. Occasionally there is a proud parent wanting to get on the sideline to take some pictures of their student in the band that is practicing, pretty routine stuff. After three hours there I report to a different area and scan tickets, what fun. My husband and I cover a gate as a team. You're right, it isn't hard to get my camera in, since I don't have to have a bag search! The purple color is VERY difficult to get right, on TV it frequently looks more blue and believe me it is a definite royal purple! These are straight from the camera, some cropping of course and maybe a little brightening, but I mostly set the aperture and shot with the WB on automatic. I didn't have a lot of time to fool around with WB. Hopefully next week there will be more staff bodies to work the gates during the game and I can have more than 5 minutes to mess with fine tuning. Mostly here I was trying to see if pictures were even possible at an evening game.