Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:27 PM   #1

Well, today, My daughter, grandson, timmy who is 6, and I took a trip to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox.

Got to the Park at 9:30am so that we could take a guided tour prior to the game. Gong through security surprised me , iin that no one stopped me or inspected my camera and additional lens. I had the 70-300mm mounted on the E-510 and the 14- 54mm lens in my pocket. By the way, this is really a fine combination for walking around the park without feeling like a pack mule.

Taking the Tour was really great as we got to go into the Park early when few people were there. Only the workcrew preparing the field and the tour group.

Not sure how it is in other baseball cities arond the country, but Boston is simply nuts over the Red Sox. Today's game was an afternoon game played at 1:35pm. Yet, there was no shortage of people. This was a record 455th consecutive sellout and it's a Wednesday!!!

Running out of time, but I've posted a few of the photos, with more being added tomorrow.

Will try to add more as time allows.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2

Cool!...and I'm very jealous, but extremely happy for you. That had to be an experience with the folks you went with.

That shot underneath the second deck overhang reminds me of back in 2004 when I took my daughter to Chicago to see three Cubsgames at Wrigley Field. It was July and we sat underneath the upper deck and froze our tails off one day whenthe wind blew off the lake so hard., but the view is much the same..

Going to a game in a park like that, in the neighborhoods where they are located and experiencing the whole scene,for anyone who's never been to either Wrigley or Fenway...if you are a baseball fan, you've GOT to go to one of those places while they are still around. After this year, they're the only two places left where you can say you saw a game where Babe Ruth played. No other stadium in the Major Leagues is that type experience.

I want to see a game there on top of the green monster.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:03 AM   #3

.....hi Zig,

What a great time you must've had with your family at'the Park' .The pictures are great, please do put more on and let us know when you have a gallery done.I can tell already how you are liking the 14-54, it is a good one for sure.

Like Greg, I would just really like seeing a game there from atop the Green Monster. I've never been toBoston or Chicago.

Growing up in Missouri my team was the Cardinals and I one time got to see a game in old Sportsman's Park and Musial, Slaughter, Schoendienst,Garagiola.

My favorite picture here is the under deck shot, what stories those seats could tell.Thanks for sharing.....................

____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:05 AM   #4

Good morning Greg, Bob,

If you're a baseball nut who appreciates old ballparks like me, you just got to make a trip out to Boston and take in a game or two at Fenway Park. The stadium is so small that regardless of where you sit, you're close to the game. The fans are just into every play, pitch, andhit. It's a very different feeling from other ballparks that I've visited.

That's a great shot at Wrigley Field, Greg. There are a number of ballparks that are on my shortlist to visit b4 I or the Park expire and Wrigley is one of them. Camden Yards and Jacob's field, although newer are also ballparks that are supposed to be beautiful and are on my shortlist.

Bob, you're right, I'm really appreciating the performance of the 14-54mm. Most all of the images that I've posted using the 14-54mm are straight out of the camera with perhaps some minor cropping. It keeps impressing me everytime I use it.

The lighting coinditions in the grandstand was pretty tough because it was quite dark where we were sitting. While the Sun shining on the field was fairly harsh. The 14-54mm did pretty well. I did a bunch of experimenting with the 70-300mm to see what settings worked the best. Finally settled on ISO400, f7.1 to f8.0 and used Arperture mode. The images posted on PBase are pretty much all straight out of the camera with little to no post processing. Noise looked under control so I didn't do any noise reduction.

We got to the ballpark around 9:30am and had the place to ourselves but once the game started, it was virtually impossible to roam the park and take photos from different locations- just too many people. None of which were happy when you stopped in front of them to take a picture.

Most all of my action shots were thus relegated to my sitting in my seat which was the 5th row from the back of the Park- about as far away as you could get, while still being in Fenway. This left me pretty much taking shots of the batters at the plate. We also had a steel girder just to our left which blocked center field. Something you wouldn't see in a newer park.

Taking in a game with a 6yr old grandson puts the entire game in a different perspective. Seeing it thru his eyes for the first time was just great. Only trouble we had was we both needed to take a nap after the 6th inning.

Here's a link to the in-progress gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/fenway_park

Zig

Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:17 AM   #5

Greg,

I too want to see a game from atop the green monster. The view from that area is just amazing. Tickets are only 250bucks-yikes!!!!!!!!

The one good thing about getting tickets is that they make a certain amount available each day at the boxoffice. So, if you're in town while the sox are playing, there's a good chance you can score one.

Then theres always the scaplers that will sell you one for 500bucks.

Zig
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:33 AM   #6

I imagine planning a trip there to see a game, from airfare, to hotel, ticket and other "things" I'd want to do would require planning as detailed as it is for retirement! I need to start working on the "Boston trip savings plan" and go next year.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:39 PM   #7

I would bepleased to act asyour tour guide.

Zig
Old Sep 4, 2008, 7:38 PM   #8

..........hey Zig !!!

Just finished your Red Sox gallery............... terrific, I enjoyed every single photo. The stadium shots are composed very well to show off the old park. I can't really pick one best of those, but whoa NELLIE...........the one's of Timmy tell the story of the trip and he is wearing it all too. You gotta be proud.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:00 PM   #9

Thanks Bob, for the kind words.

Yes, timmy certainly had a good time...new hat, new batting gloves, new wrist bands, pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, m&ms, crackerjacks. and yes, the Red Sox came from behind and won the game 5 to 4 in the bottom of the 9th. what a fitting ending to a perfect day. "Life is Good"

As for the photos, When I got home last night and began loading the files onto my hard drive,I then realizedI had 172 images with which to work with. After reviewing each last night, I think I've deleted around a dozen throwaways. I had a really hard time bringing down the number of images in the gallery to about 32. I'm approaching my upper limit of hard drive space on PBase and don't want to buy any more space this year.

I knew beforehand that going to the game with my grandson certainly changed my approach to photographing the game and the park. I couldn't just run off and concentrate on shooting the game. He was a more immediate and important priority. All in all, I'm pleased with the results. And I certainly had a great time spending the day with him...It's what life is all about.

Zig

Old Sep 7, 2008, 1:04 PM   #10

Hi Zig

I really like pic No 3 and its the crowds in the stand that does it. No 4. is pretty fine too !

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote