Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:09 AM   #11

No color bleed...
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:11 AM   #12

Lots of contrast, texture and a variety of color tones, all properly exposed and rendered.
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:13 AM   #13

Great exposure at Ev 0!
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:15 AM   #14

That's it, folks...this is the last one. Hope you enjoyed them.

Comments, opinions, criticisms, suggestions, are all welcome.

Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:23 AM   #15

Excellent write-up Tullio! And a great lesson about how much one can customize the settings to get exactly...or at least, almost exactly what they want!

Many things about the E520 dosound good compared to the E510. The stronger low-pass filter sounded initially not too good, but you've obviously gotten the parameters down right.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:14 AM   #16

Hi Tulio

Really nicely done and some fine pics too - fine varierty in the shots. I'm glad you've noticed a difference between the two cameras and that it does have that key improvement.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 7:05 AM   #17

Hey Tellio,

As one who has an E-510, I've been looking forward to this post ever since you mentioned a couple of weeks back that you ordered the E-520.

While I appreciate your assessment, thesubsequent photos are probably the most compelling statements to upgrade from an E-510 to the 520 that I've seen to date. Additionally, based on the images posted, looks like you've got the settings nailed.

I'm holding out doing anything with regards to a new body until after Photokina. My gripes with the E-510 has to do with the OPV-something which hasn't yet been addressed in an E-5xx series body.

BTW, does this mean we'll be seeing more posts from you?

Thanks,

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:21 AM   #18

Thank you all for your comments and kind words. I don't believe I ever used a camera with all default settings in place. To me, part of the fun in having a new camera is to play with the settings and try to understand its capabilities (and limitations, of course). Reviews usually provide some guidance and givehints as to what to look for in terms of potential weaknesses. However, I hardly ever make buying decisions solely on the reviews because real life experience is much different than a very controlled testing environment.

Greg, I think the NF is not as aggressive as it is on the E510 but the reason is because the entire JPEGimage processing on the E520 is different, producing softer images to begin with. When I play with different settings, this is what I do. I pick no more than three parameters at a time (say, NF ON/OFF, Sharpness +1 and +2). Then I go out and take the same exact pictures of the same subjects at the same angle under the same lighting conditions and switch the parameters (i.e. NF OFF, SH +1, SH+2 then NF ON, SH +1 and SH +2). Then I upload the images to Picasa and simply stare at each and every one at 100% crop. I also open the EXIFtool pgm and the ones I like, I go and check the parameters used and make a note of it. Hopefully, I'll see some consistency on my selction, which will lead to the ideal camera settings.

The improvement in DR was obvious to mefrom the very first shot (as I explained). Needless to say, the Sony A300 is going back!!!

Zig, unless you are thinking about some serious upgrade, I would not be too anxious with regards to Olympus announcements at Photokina. The reason is because the E520 was just released so I don't believe there will be anything new in that department. Now, an upgrade for the E3 is certainly a possibility. As for the OPV, I'm not sure Olympus will be able to improve it too much. I think the main limitation is the sensor (and consequentlythe mirror)size. If they couldmake it larger, it probably would not be as sharp. What I dislike is the info on the side. But then again, I think the location has to do with the 4/3 sensor but I'm really not sure. To me, the important thing is sharpness. As long as I can see clearly, I'm happy.

The bottom line here is that if you are totally happy with the E510, then I see absolutely no reason to upgrade (to the E520). If it wasn't for theE510limited DR and how much it bugged me, I would not havesold it. But, I'm glad I did because the E520has indeed a better DR and now that I have it customized to my liking, it is just a matter of going out and shoot, shoot, shoot!!!

BTW, I just checked Amazon and they have the E520 body going for $549, which is what I paid for.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:43 PM   #19

Hi Tullio,

Just noticed that I misspelled your name on the previous reply-sorry about that.

Agreed, I'm really not expecting anything groundbreaking in the way of the E-5xx series. Both the E-420 and the E-520 were just released so that leaves any major changes for both those cameras just unrealistic. And yes, I'm fairly satisfied with the E-510 that it will take quite a bit to get me to make an upgrade.

As for the E-3.....it's been around a while now and given how competitive the market is right now with Nikon and Canon both releasing new DSLRs, there just may be something coming out as a replacement.

My hope is that Oly comes out with a new improved E-3x with enough bells and whistles to make current owners trade in their E-3s for the newer model. That would reduce the cost of the E-3 to a price point that would interest me to pick one up. Everything I've read about it confirms that the OPV is significantly improved over the E-5xx series.

In truth, Photokina will most likely be the show where the micro fourthirds series of cameras will be showcased with little to nothing new for the fourthirds system. I think Oly's marketing managers would not want to do anything that would take away any focus from the release of the micro-fourthirds.

Anyways,....glad to see you back. Hope to see more.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote