Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:28 PM   #1

The State Fair of Texas starts in around two weeks so I thought I'd drive down and check out the Fair grounds prior to the opening and see how things looked.

Fair Park has hosted the State Fair of Texas since 1886. In 1936 the state celebrated the 100th anniversary of statehood by contructing all new building in the art-deco style of the period. In 1986 all the buildings were renovated and brought back to their original condition from 50 years earlier and look fantastic today. I believe this is the largest collection of art deco-style buildings in one small area like this. Shot with my E510 and either the 12-60 f2.8-4 or 70-300 f4-5.6...

I love this next building, which is called the Hall of State. Lots of angles andstatues. During the Fair, they hang banners all over it and ruin the look..

The exhibit buildings are huge and have some great art on them..

These last two images are of the Cottom Bowl football stadium. 76 years old, it was the original home of the Dallas Cowboys, who moved out of it in 1971. SMU used to play their home games there. The annual Cotton Bowl football game is moving out in the next couple of years, leaving just the annual game each Fall between Texas and Oklahoma, so what does Dallas do? They are finishing up a remodeling of the stadium, increasing capacity from around 72,000 to something like 90,000.... for one game a year, but it is a huge game from both a sports and financial standpoint for the city of Dallas. I'm glad they did it..

Here's a view from one endzone where they've double-deckedthe seats to increase capacity..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:17 PM   #2

Hi Greg

Thanks for posting the pics and its nice to see that other parts of the world are having some sunshine ! My favorite out of the series is the second archers shot, it really jumps out at you.

Cheers

HarJ

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:43 PM   #3

Great shots Greg. Always good composition and colors, very artistic. I know you've mentioned it before, but share again how you are able to post all those shots with just one posting, instead of separate posts that the rest of us do.

(I was working in Dallas a few years back, andwent to the state fair one weekend. It was a great experience, but very crowded. It is interesting to see the same area without all the crowds.)

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Greg. Always good composition and colors, very artistic. I know you've mentioned it before, but share again how you are able to post all those shots with just one posting, instead of separate posts that the rest of us do.

(I was working in Dallas a few years back, andwent to the state fair one weekend. It was a great experience, but very crowded. It is interesting to see the same area without all the crowds.)

Steve R.
Hi Steven. Thanks for the comments.

Fair Park has several buildings open year-round, including the Science Place, the Hall of Stateand the IMAX theatre. If you go down there, the complex where these buildings are is always open to walk through...it's maintained as a public park, and yes, it's much nicer going through there while "The Fair" is not open!

The way I load multiple images is like this...

The images on my website cannot be protected in order to do it because Iuse the "copy and paste" method.

1. I open an image up on my website andview it inthe size I want to post here. I've found, on Smugmug at least, the best size to upload here for viewing is the XLarge size.

2. Once open to the size I want to upload, I place my curser over the image, right-click and select "copy".

3. I then come back to this page, place the curser where I want it to go, right-click and choose "paste".

4. Do the same thing again for each image after that.

One thing I like about doing the hyperlinks like that is, anyone can click on the image from here and a separate window will open up with where the image is on my website if they want to know more about it or see it orthe other images up to full size.

One of the things that's no-so-good about doing it this way is, if Smugmug is down, the images don't load here. Fortunately, I don't think Smugmug has been down 3-4 times in the 4 years I have had an account with them. They are very reliable.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:47 PM   #5

Hi Greg,

Not too much in the way of Art Deco architecture here on Cape Cod to appreciate. I reallly like the muted tones of the colors of the artwork on the walls. A really great gallery. Looks like the Sun was pretty bright....Are these all shot in RAW? and did you do any PP to bring back any lost highlight? All of the photosshow no lossof detail or clipped highlights.

Thanks,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:57 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Not too much in the way of Art Deco architecture here on Cape Cod to appreciate. I reallly like the muted tones of the colors of the artwork on the walls. A really great gallery. Looks like the Sun was pretty bright....Are these all shot in RAW? and did you do any PP to bring back any lost highlight? All of the photosshow no lossof detail or clipped highlights.

Thanks,

Zig

Hi Zig,

Yes, it was pretty bright. Close to mid-day, and Idid use RAW capture, processing them in Olympus Studio.

The original settings for both Contrast and Focus were -2, with Natural Color setting. In trying to remember which ones, I know in images 8. 9 and 10 I turned the color mode up to Vivid in the RAW processor andwith many fileswound up turning the sharpening orcontrast (or both) up to at least -1, depending on how I wanted the image to look.

Regarding the above, unlike Adobe Camera RAW and Capture One, Olympus Studio doesn't retain your adjustments so you can go back later and see what you did, so I'd need to start all over and try to duplicate what I did on these from memory unless I can find some setting to "turn on" that'll retain the settings used.

One feature I did utilize, I think for the first time ever,was the Test Picture function. I configured the "FN" button so holding it down while pressing down the release would render a test image with the histogram overlayed. Worked great for aday like this where I had time to mess with the settings. I used Centerweighted metering so I could take a reading for the test image and be assured the camera would meter the same way again once I had the exposure I wanted. With multi-segment metering you just don't know what the camera is placing an emphasis on from shot to shot....at least I can't.

The hardest image in terms of backlighting/metering came after I had walked the length of the exhibition buildings and looked back towards the direction I had come from, so of course I had to give it a try to see how much detail I could retain from one extreme to another..

Just for fun, I ran this image through a program called Shift-N to correct for the leaningstructures and wound up with this..

During the Fair, that center area will be filled with water and look much different.