Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:37 PM   #1

Hi Guys/Gals

I've been thinking about a replacement to my broken FL50 and have been wondering what to replace it with - another FL50 (£300.00) or the Metz 58F1 for 4/3 or to go for a studio light instead the Bowens Gemini 500 (approx £380.00) ?

I;ve thought about the FL50R but its just a bit too expensive at £400 and too close to the price of the Bowens 500. I like the Metz as I think it has a modelling light, firmware upgradeable and has a bit more power than the FL50 and is fully complient. The Bowens is the same flash thats used at the studio - I could hire one as when i need too (£15/ weekend) but it would be handy to have one at hand. Only negative is the battery pack which is the same price as the flash head but then again the Oly ext. battery pack for the FL50 is the same price.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:17 PM   #2

I'd get the Metz if you don't wanna go for the FL50R (which makes sense in lieu of that price!)as I see the firmware in the Metz has been upgraded to work with the wireless protocol of the Olympus system.

I saw the announcement here..

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/news/
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I like the Metz as I think it has a modelling light, firmware upgradeable
Just for the record, Olympus FL-50 and FL-36 flashes have been firmware upgradeable since day one...I guess it's too late for your flash, but everyone else, next time your FL-flash is on the camera and powered on, select FIRMWARE from the menu, and it will tell you what firmware it is.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:36 AM   #4

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Just for the record, Olympus FL-50 and FL-36 flashes have been firmware upgradeable since day one...I guess it's too late for your flash, but everyone else, next time your FL-flash is on the camera and powered on, select FIRMWARE from the menu, and it will tell you what firmware it is.
Yes, and I wish there was a wayOlympus could "upgrade" the firmware in theFL50 to work with their currentwireless system that I eventually will have access to. Right now, doesn't mattersince I'm using the E510. It must be possible since Metz did it with their model, but I can see why there's no incentive for Olympus to do it since folks like me would then never buy the FL50R!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:51 PM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Yes, and I wish there was a wayOlympus could "upgrade" the firmware in theFL50 to work with their currentwireless system that I eventually will have access to. Right now, doesn't mattersince I'm using the E510. It must be possible since Metz did it with their model, but I can see why there's no incentive for Olympus to do it since folks like me would then never buy the FL50R!
Can't happen because it's a difference in hardware, not just firmware. Although Olympus could come out with both a sensor that attaches to the old FL-50/36 and attaches to the hot shoe of older E cameras to make the system work.

Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:21 PM   #6

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Can't happen because it's a difference in hardware, not just firmware. Although Olympus could come out with both a sensor that attaches to the old FL-50/36 and attaches to the hot shoe of older E cameras to make the system work.
I wonder though,how Metz was able to do it with the 58AF-1?

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electron...ash-units.html

I guess it could have come out originally with the ability to work with the E3...I have no idea how long this flash has been on the market....and then later updated to work with the newer models.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:36 PM   #7

Because Metz already had the sensor required for use with other wireless flash systems like Nikon's. So all it needed to work with Oly's system was the instructions that told it the codes required.

Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:08 AM   #8

Hi Guys

I think I may just go with the Metz - its quiet a bit cheaper than the Fl50R (currently at £230.00) and I'm planning to use the flash mainly off camera. I;ve seen the Nikon SB800 for £200.00 so thats pretty tempting too!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:45 PM   #9

I've been living on the edge myself the last 2-3 weddings I've shot with just my now 3 year-old"original" FL50 flash since my old Vivitar 285 backup died. Having two events upcoming and not wanting to roll the "my flash won't die tonight" dice, Ifinally sucked it up and bought an FL50R this week....just received it. Looks virtually exactly like the FL50 with a few detail differences.

Wasn't cheap, but now I can go to these events with a full set of backup equipment.