Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:55 PM   #1

Question.

Im close to purchasing the E510 with the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm lenses for just under 600 dollars.

Now my question is...

Do you have to use an olympus XD card or could you use a Fuji XD etc card long as its xd.

I was sad to find out that it doesnt use the SD cards seeing how I have 4gbs worth of em but oh well.

Also would you recommend a 1gb or a 2gb. I believe a Olympus 2 GB XD Picture card type M 202170 is on for about 30 bucks. I think that would give me like 1000 pics or so. Or just go with like a 1gb for like 10 dollars and get like 500 pics out of it or so.

OR...can you tell me if they do take the SD cards...and im just getting the wrong info. Or if there is like a spefic brand card to use. I have a Fuji XD card well techincally my mom got it when I sold her my camera then I have the SD cards that fit into my Fuji S700.

Im rambelling...

What type of card does the 510 take?
lauralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:52 PM   #2

Longtime lurker here, but I saw you post and thought I'd give a quick reply. Any XD card from any manufacture should work fine in your E-510. I would suggest you get a Compact Flash card instead. CF cards tend to be less expensive and faster in reading and writing. You can obtain CF cards from many sources, but it is best to stay with reputable dealers. While I have no affiliation with them, newegg.com is a good source for flash memory with good prices and fast shipping.

The E-510 cannot accept SD cards at all. There may be some adapter to convert SD to CF or XD, but I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

Good luck with your new camera! I just got an E-510 myself and hope to give it a good test this weekend.
bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:56 PM   #3

The E510takes two types of cards....XD and/or Compact Flash. You can have one of each loaded at the same time if you like, but I would get Compact Flash and just forget the xd-card....compact flash is much faster and you can buy them in much larger capacity sizes....and they are very inexpensive today. The E510 can take any size CF card you can buy, so get two 2GB, or one 4GB, or one 8GB, or even one 16GB(!)....they all fit.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:59 PM   #4

The CF is the best way to go. By getting an oly branded XD though you unlock the panaorama mode. A CF alone will not do this, nor will another XD from what I'm told.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:47 AM   #5

Speaking of CF, is the Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB Compact Flash that much better than the Sandisk Ultra 4GB Compat Flash that I currently have? Does it justify the extra $$$?

I have the Olympus E-510 outfit.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:26 AM   #6

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of CF, is the Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB Compact Flash that much better than the Sandisk Ultra 4GB Compat Flash that I currently have? Does it justify the extra $$$?

I have the Olympus E-510 outfit.

For an in-depth review of card writing speeds using varous cameras, including the E-510, you may want to read this article:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-card.html

There are also a number of other articles on this site maintained by a fellow named Wrotniak,specifically dealing with the E-510 that you may find useful.

Zig

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote