Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:48 PM   #1

Well....wadda ya know....overcast skies, rain, and it didn't get to 90 degrees today!

This calls for getting out and taking advantage of the difussedlight. I may like this type weather better than sunshine. Maybe in my second life I'll go live in Seattle or Vancouver! Been to Vancouver and loved it.

Taken with the E510 and either 12-60 f2.8-4 or 70-300 f4-5.6..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:06 AM   #2

Very nice shots. I really liked #2 and 4.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:36 AM   #3

Hi Greg,

2and 4 are my favorites as well. My guess is they were taken with the 12-60mm.

The turning leaves, however, a sign of the change of seasons. I like the Fall because it offers a myriad of photo opportunities with the landscape and sky changing colors butthe Winter stinks.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:36 AM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

2and 4 are my favorites as well. My guess is they were taken with the 12-60mm.

Thanks. I like those too, and they were actually shot with the 70-300. The 60mm end of the 12-60 doesn't compress backgrounds quite as well as that.

A friend wants me to drive down with him to Waco for his schools' football game Saturday, which has an early start, but....we could be getting some badhurricane-related weather by then.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
The turning leaves, however, a sign of the change of seasons. I like the Fall because it offers a myriad of photo opportunities with the landscape and sky changing colors butthe Winter stinks.

Zig
Well, here in California, I'd say the leaves were burnt by the hot sun:G. We recently had a heatwave in the SF Bay Area with temperatures reaching 100+. I lost a few plants in a couple of days due to the extreme heat. Colors won't change around here until late October. And YES, Winter stinks (although I know many many people who love it to death).
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:22 PM   #6

Wow Greg,

I'm surprised that those were taken with the 70-300mm. As much as I love that lens, My images don't come out quite that sharp. But you're right, one of the aspects of that lens that I really like is how it renders the out-of-focusbackground.

Hmmmm....I'm going to take a look at what firmware version is in my 70-300mm..

Looks like the Hurricane Season is quite active this year. Good luck with Ike.

Tullio,

I'm jealous, our Winters in the Northeast should be as 'bad' as the Winters in the Bay Region. My in-laws moved to Mountainview in the '80s. So we had a lot of opportunities to visit your part of the world before they ultimately moved to Las Vegas. Talk about an arearich inphoto opportunities. Muir Woods, Redwood City, Chinatown, Napa Valley, the list just goes on and on.

Zig

Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:36 PM   #7

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I'm jealous, our Winters in the Northeast should be as 'bad' as the Winters in the Bay Region. My in-laws moved to Mountainview in the '80s. So we had a lot of opportunities to visit your part of the world before they ultimately moved to Las Vegas. Talk about an arearich inphoto opportunities. Muir Woods, Redwood City, Chinatown, Napa Valley, the list just goes on and on.
In one hand, you are right, this is a great area for photography but on the other hand, everything seems to be far away (I guess the fact that traffic is so hectic it gives that impression). I work in Redwood City and I can tell you that there is nothing there to photograph. SF and other parts of the Bay Area you mentionedare a different story.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:48 PM   #8

Hi Tullio,

Well, I haveclearly confused Redwood City with another area. I remember driving thru Redwood City ( I thought) in order to get to a park where we saw huge Sequoias. But this is going back to 1982 time frame. So, I'm not surprised that I've got it wrong.

Zig
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:51 PM   #9

Yep, not Redwood City...no Sequoia park close to RC.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:54 AM   #10

Another nice set of shots Greg.

When you decide to come and live up here we'll have to do some shoots together, got some great paces to show you, summer or winter. We don't get the extreme colds here like the NE. Just a short drive to Vancouver and a ferry ride to Vancouver Island and Victoria. With your eye for plant life you'd love Butchart Gardens.
http://www.victoriabc.ca/victoria/butchartgardens.htm

My wife has family in Texas and I haven't figured out why people live there.....:-)
This is the money side of the family though, maybe that's the reason.

Ken

And yes #2 is outstanding. Who'd a thunk an ordinary wet tree could make such a compelling photo.
Just get that blue thingy out of there......
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote