Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:38 PM   #11

Good words to live by John, I use mine (tripod) whenever I can but I will try the mono. can't afford one with a tilting or ball head but I'll made the most of it.

Really nice shot Jack. Looks like a young 'un. Just after we had the last exchange I took thisfrom my deck. That's the Olympic Peninsula in the background with Whidbey the centergreen stripwith homes on. (Brigadoon !)
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:43 PM   #12

It's not the lying down that bothers me...It's the getting back up again!

Both shots with the E500 and 70-300 first at about 175mm (350) second was full 300 (600) a couple of hours later when I got back. Still a little mistyout there.
That's Saratoga Passage, just north of Greenbank and Homes Harbour.

Did you notice that the creature on your avatar with you, has a camera...!

Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:54 AM   #13

Scouse wrote:
Quote:

Yup, that is my problem too. That's why I liked that Sony H50 as I didn't have to lay on the ground like I did shooting that goldfinch.

Pretty place you live in. Can you see Mt Rainier from there?

If you look closely, the parrot was rolling her eyes at the creature. :lol:

BTW, how do you like your 70-300 lens? I'm planning to get one next month.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 7:19 AM   #14

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I will try the mono. can't afford one with a tilting or ball head but I'll made the most of it.
I don't think you'll miss having a ball head on a monopod - it's easy enough to shift the angle of the whole thing and thenhold it steady.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:19 PM   #15

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
Scouse wrote:
Quote:

Yup, that is my problem too. That's why I liked that Sony H50 as I didn't have to lay on the ground like I did shooting that goldfinch.

Pretty place you live in. Can you see Mt Rainier from there?

If you look closely, the parrot was rolling her eyes at the creature. :lol:

BTW, how do you like your 70-300 lens? I'm planning to get one next month.

LOL..!

If I go down the road to the State park I can see Ranier...way off.

The 70-300 is the best, terrific lens for an excellent price. Look at some of the back posts from Zig, Greg Chappel, Bob.....and even some of mine. Great detail and great macro.

Thanks Ted, thats what I thought. I think just beingexpandable would do the trick.

Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:29 PM   #16

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Ted, thats what I thought. I think just beingexpandable would do the trick.
Hi, Scouse

As I think about it, what I should have said is that most folks want to use a monopod in sort of a "grab-and-go" mode, because it's light and way faster to set up than sticks are. If you need the fine positioning control of a tilt head, you probably need to break out the sticks. Adding a tilt head to a monopod sorta defeats the purpose of a monopodfor most situations, which is why I said you won't really need a tilt head.

I use a monopod in a particular situation of low-light indoor available-light shoots where I need to move around but theZD 35-100 f/2 is too heavy to hand-hold without blur at lower shutter speeds. A monopod is great for that. However, where most folks would use oneis in outdoor photography where you are using a long telephoto but don't have the time or inclination to set up sticks (like wildlife photography).

FWIW, because the E3 and the ZD 35-100 f/2 together are rather heavy and I need to be as inobtrusive as possible, I opted for the low weight of a more expensive carbon-fiber monopod. So I use a Velbon Neopod 7, which is excellent but pricey at $130 especially because it doesn't include a quick-release. You probably want a quick-release (which should be standard with any monopod and is with many of them) because a camera screwed to a monopod is pretty unwieldy to transport, so I added a Slik DQ quick release (which is also pricey - you don't want to know how much...). There are less expensive quick-release systems but the DQ is rock solid which is important for me with that extremely expensive ZD 35-100 f/2 on it.

All that said, you can do fine with less expensive gear if you're using an E-5XX and a lighter lens.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:50 PM   #17

I've used a monopod with both the ball tilting head and without one. I've found that the ball tilting head on a mono-pod more of a hinderance than a benefit. If I feel I need a ball titling head, I'll go ahead and use a Tri-pod... it is easier that way.

Just my nickels worth here. :idea:
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:48 PM   #18

I went to my Corvette Club meeting last Friday and since I'm the webmaster and photographer, I was walking around taking photos and FOUR times that night someone asked me what camera I was using etc.

Now the reason I mentioned that fact is because the past year I had two other cameras, the superzooms: Canon s5is & Sony H50 and no one ever asked me about those two cameras.

Must be something about Olympus styling or it being a DSLR or something?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:39 PM   #19

I am thinking it is such a break from the norm. I mean everywhere I go that is picturesque and I see DSLRs its almost always Nikon and Canon.....so to some its curious to see a DSLR different than what they always see.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote