Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1

This looks like a really nice accessory. Today I took delivery of this..

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

Ireceivedthe "Big Flip it" from the FedEx guy today. Now, no doubt I could probably go to the nearest crafts store, buy the "raw"products used and come up with something similar....yeah, right. It's too easy (yes, I am lazy)to just let someone else come up with this stuff and buy the finished and perfectedproduct.

The main thing I like about this compared to the Omni-bounce and Lumisphere is, less light lost due to thescattering in all directionsother thanthedirection I am shooting in.It's also MUCH less heavy and bulky than the Lumisphere. If I don't watch it, some dayI'm going to haveas manyflash difussorsas camera bags.

OK, here's some examples where I used my E510, 12-60 Zuiko and FL50 with the Big Flip-It mounted. I had it pointed straight up since in all of these shots I had relatively normal-height ceilings..

and last but not least, my 20 pound cat..

Over the next few days I plan to do some people tests since my plans are to use this in shooting my next wedding on September 27.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2

.........hi Greg,

That is a neat attachment and your samples show it works well, as well as being comfortably portable.

I have been cutting and using printer paper rubber banded (cut from a motorcycle tire inner tube) attachment on my FL-36 for some time now after seeing this ....http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/ d.com/.

I considered one of the 'flash bowls' but could never bring myself to find a way to carry the thing with me. The Stofen Omni stays on my big flash at all times and the paper has worked well for me on the FL-36.

The flipit looks like something I might like to have, thanks for mentioning it.
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:33 PM   #3

Hi, Gregand Bob

Both of your bounce card links note that they work better if the flash is rotated 90º. Butthe Oly flashes (at least my FL-50) don't point to 90º vertical when rotated 90º horizontally. Does that matter? It would seem that the FL-50 gets close enough to 90º, but I was just wondering...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:54 PM   #4

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Gregand Bob

Both of your bounce card links note that they work better if the flash is rotated 90º. Butthe Oly flashes (at least my FL-50) don't point to 90º vertical when rotated 90º horizontally. Does that matter? It would seem that the FL-50 gets close enough to 90º, but I was just wondering...

Ted

In looking at the Demb flash attachment mounted on the flash in these threeimages on the website, this is eactly how I have it fitted to my FL50..

The flash head is set to where the release button faces the rear so it's easy for me to just press it in and flip itup if I go vertical. Mine does point straight up when pivoted 90 degrees. I just took delivery of a new FL50R today, tried it and it does as well.

One other note regarding this accessory, the slanteddegree you setthe cardcan make ahuge difference in the quality of the light. By the timeit's tilted45 degrees forward, the light is almost strong enough itmight make as good a sense to just use direct flash with no bounce or attachment fittedat all.

Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:03 PM   #5

Good info there guys.....was looking into purchasing a flash and a bouncer in the future. Great info thanks
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:06 PM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Gregand Bob

Ted

In looking at the Demb flash attachment mounted on the flash in these threeimages on the website, this is eactly how I have it fitted to my FL50..

The flash head is set to where the release button faces the rear so it's easy for me to just press it in and flip itup if I go vertical. Mine does point straight up when pivoted 90 degrees. I just took delivery of a new FL50R today, tried it and it does as well.

One other note regarding this accessory, the slanteddegree you setthe cardcan make ahuge difference in the quality of the light. By the timeit's tilted45 degrees forward, the light is almost strong enough itmight make as good a sense to just use direct flash with no bounce or attachment fittedat all.

Here's a couple of quick & dirty images I snapped with my point & shoot of the outfit with the flash set to how I use this attachment. This is the FL50R, but I also set the FL50 the same way..

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:02 PM   #7

Which color reflector do you have and why?

"Color Choice: The Demb Flash Diffuser Pro is now available in classic black or retro redo n the back. Front color remains white. The black back has a matte white surface; the red back has a glossy white surface."
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:12 PM   #8

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro.

Did anyone have any comments on the previous question about whether to go with the mat (black) or shiny (red) finish on the reflector?

Also . . . Greg. Do you still use this diffuser. What's your thoughts now?

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:21 PM   #9

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro.

Did anyone have any comments on the previous question about whether to go with the mat (black) or shiny (red) finish on the reflector?
Quote:
The face of the unit where the light bounces is white with either unit. The black vs. red is purely asthetics, and I'm not sure I am ready for red-anything camera gear! Probably goes great for anyone using it witha red Panasonic G1 though.

Also . . . Greg. Do you still use this diffuser. What's your thoughts now?
Quote:
Still use and love it. I have since bought the Demb flash bracket too. Best bracket I have ever owned. Great balance whether I use it with an E1 with accessory battery back, or withthe much smallerE520.

Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:31 PM   #10

Hello Greg,

Wow that was a quick reply.

Thanks!

If there is no difference between the black or red, I kinda agree with you. Red is kinda flashy. <grin>

I was looking at the bracket too.

It does look really good.

Especially if you flash unit doesn't swivel.

But I'll just start with the bounce + diffuser and see where I go from there since my flash unit swivels.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote