Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:00 AM   #1

Panasonic just announced a new micro fourthirds camera on this website.

You can read it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pa...008_g1_pr.html

Been quiet here lately. This should start some discussions.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:21 AM   #2

Hi Zig!

yep .. I've been meaning to post some new pics but haven;t got around to it lately. DPR has a hands on preview of the first m43:

http://www.dpreview.com/Previews/PanasonicG1/

Cameralbas.com has a hands on preview as well:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa.../verdict.shtml

A few things that caught my eye were no HD movie mode which was a bit suprising, a 1.4MP EVF (50% bigger than the E420s OVF) and 3" 460k LCD, that the new m43 lenses were slow (although theres a 20mm f1.7 on the roadmap) and more importantly that the lenses are not Leica branded but Lumix. Not being LEica branded ususally with the Pana digicams means that they're slower glass, good but not to the same level of quality as the Leica glass. Stylingwise, Im a little suprised that they didn;t go for a rangefinder style look for cam but then again theyre aiming straight for the FZ superzooms. My hunch is that Oly will intro the fast weathersealed M43 ZD glass later on.

AF is only available on a select number of lenses - none of the pro or top pro lenses ZD lenses will work with the AF on the G1. Now, I wonder why that is ?

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:54 AM   #3

Some more pics of the G1 - inc red and blue models.

http://luc.saint-elie.com/2008/09/12...-les-coutures/

DC resource:

http://dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3794

A HD video version according to DCR is due in 2009:

One feature I was expecting that didn't show up was a movie mode. Panasonic says that they'll have a model that supports HD movie recording sometime in 2009. I was also disappointed to see the G1's battery life numbers (330-350 shots per charge), which are quite a bit lower than other D-SLRs, though those don't use live view exclusively.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:31 PM   #4

The lens rodmap includes a 14-140mm f4-5.6 O.I.S. HD for 2009. I'm guessing the HD means this lens will be required for movie mode when they introduce it.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 1:33 PM   #5

So much info is coming so fast that I really can't keep up with it. I'll need at least a few days to digest things. Incompatibility issues with many current lenses looks to be a big dissappointment for me but, as I said, I'll give the info a few days to shake out (early reports are often off base).

One positive that I take from all of this is continued 4/3 sensor development. We can't say exactly how this will affect "normal" 4/3 but we can take comfort that are engineers showing up for work everyday, trying to squeeze more performance of those sensors.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:54 PM   #6

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
Incompatibility issues with many current lenses looks to be a big dissappointment for me but, as I said, I'll give the info a few days to shake out (early reports are often off base).

One positive that I take from all of this is continued 4/3 sensor development. We can't say exactly how this will affect "normal" 4/3 but we can take comfort that are engineers showing up for work everyday, trying to squeeze more performance of those sensors.
I hear you,but so far it doesn'tmotivate meto sell my Oly SP-550UZ grab-and-go...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:23 PM   #7

This looks more to be more ofa Panasonic-biasedsystem to me, for a company that no longer wants to make an FZ50-type camera, and could not sell in any number that made economicalsense,a regular DSLR. If Olympus comes out with a model that "fixes" all the problems (see below)....still, I don't want to have to use an adaptor with EVERY lens, even if I could just leave it on as a permanent part of the body.

With no compatibility for my Olympus system lensesas far as AF or image stabilization, my interest in micro 4/3rd's ends here. I don't need two completely separate systems.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:38 PM   #8

My 7MP SP-550UZ has a 28-504 mm (eq.) F2.8 - 4.5 lens, is small and light, and was relatively inexpensive. I don't particularly like the EVF but it's a great grab-and-go digicam. AlthoughI applaud the evolution of 4/3 cam development, the micro-4/3has me baffled with those slow lenses.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:20 PM   #9

I think we just need to sit back and enjoy the show - there is so much info flying around. What I don;t understand is some of the negativity being aimed at the camera except for AF confirmation with most 4/3 glass and I'm sure there's going to be different styles from both Pana and Olympus. I've seen a pic of the m43 7-14 F4 and the 20mm F1.7 (pancake) and those are really small, esp the 7-14 and I'm curious why they didn;t go for at least one fast lens right at the start or produce a lens map with faster lenses (although the Leica D roadmap was mostly slow lenses as well).

Its pretty clear that the G1 is aimed at FZ users (I still have my FZ10 anda fine cam it is), although I do know that the Leica branded glass was and still is a big selling point for all FZ shooters so I'm a bit suprised that the first batch of lenses were not Leica G's.

Cheers

Harj

:? :G