Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:54 PM   #1

SOOOO...

I bought the camera!. I now am the proud owner. Im loving the shots though they arent the best test shots since well its night, its raining so nothing post worthy yet.

I have a question....

Is the internal flash supposes to flash like 45 times before actually taking the pic. I took a couple of my parents and well I like blinded my father and my mom turned before the shot was even taken.

Just curious about that.

Still got alot to learn with this thing.
lauralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2

The multiple flash is the very annoying method of of focus assist for low light. If there isn't enough light for the camera to focus, it will keep flashing until it gets a lock. It can drive you crazy sometimes.

You can either try to get brighter ambient light so that the things won't flash a billion times or you can get an external flash. The Oly external flashes (I have the FL-36R) have their own AF illuminator which won't blind your parents and scare small children.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3

If I knew how to add a couple attachments..Id post both. But I dunno if I can do that. I mean im sure there is a way. Or I could just upload. Anyway here is one of the Dog first day with Oly. Below I will post the second
Attached Images

Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:50 PM   #4

And here is out new kitten that we have had about a month or so.

Say hello to Pepsi

Attached Images

Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:19 AM   #5

Sounds like a decent external flash. Price looks in favor, flash is about the price of a pocket cam I was looking to purchase which thats another question im going to ask in a sec.

So do you have the E-510 to. Do you have any portrait sample shots taken with it and the flash that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Also , do you think its smart to have a good pocket camera that you can take into places that may not allow a camera, or say your going to a small family event and dont want to haul the dslr would it be a good or bad investment.

As mentioned I have a fuji s700 but lets face it thats not going to be fittin into any pockets.

I have been looking at the Olympus Stylus 760 & 1020.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:34 AM   #6

I'm not the most organized guy in the world so it could take me a while to sort through which shots I have with the E-510 and FL-36R. I figured the quickest thing is just to grab my camera and shoot a fresh sample. I took this picture of my cat with the FL-36R, E-510 and the 70-300mm zoom lens set at 70mm.

Normally, the 70-300 isn't a lens that you would regularly use with a flash but it's the lens that was attached to the E-510 at the time. And it allows you to stand off for some distance which is handy when photographing pets. I'll sort through some other stuff later and see what I have.

As for a smaller pocket cam, It's never a bad idea to have a camera handy and I'm looking for one myself. As much as I love Oly's small cameras (IMHO, the best pocket digitals made by anybody), I'm not a fan of the XD card. However, I have to say that after using a DSLR almost exclusivley for more than 2 years, I really don't have much desire to go back to a tiny sensored pocket camera. Yes, it would be handy...but I wouldn't use it that often. It's an entirely personal choice but if I ONLY had money to buy an external flash OR a pocketable camera, I'd get the flash first. But that's me.

Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:15 PM   #7

Great shot, the 70-300mm is a lens I DEFO plan to get in the near future. Looks like Im just going to get the flash and a larger camera bag LoL.

Thanks for taking the shot. Doesnt look like the external flash blinded your kitty either. Unlike the focus flash which scared my dog and I had to keep telling him I would get him a treat to keep him looking at me. Poor guy.

Cant wait to see your other shots!.

And since your using the e-510...when you change the lens, and then zoom or zoom out you have to change the focal length on the camera setting correct? Also if when you zoom and look through the lcd and see its blurry...should that happen?

These are prolly stupid questions but im new to dslr. So any help mucho thanks
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:20 PM   #8

Welcome to the fold man! Now get out there and snap away!

**edit**

noticed your a lady sorry.:blah:
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 1:49 PM   #9

lauralei wrote:
Quote:
Great shot, the 70-300mm is a lens I DEFO plan to get in the near future. Looks like Im just going to get the flash and a larger camera bag LoL.

Thanks for taking the shot. Doesnt look like the external flash blinded your kitty either. Unlike the focus flash which scared my dog and I had to keep telling him I would get him a treat to keep him looking at me. Poor guy.

Cant wait to see your other shots!.

And since your using the e-510...when you change the lens, and then zoom or zoom out you have to change the focal length on the camera setting correct? Also if when you zoom and look through the lcd and see its blurry...should that happen?

These are prolly stupid questions but im new to dslr. So any help mucho thanks

The external flash emits a steady, relatively dim red light as a focus aid. It's very non-invasive and doesn't startle pets or people.

If you are using lenses for the E-system camera and a dedicated flash, there is no need to make any changes to any setting on either the camera or the flash. In fact, the cat pictures I took this morning may have been the very first flash pictures that I ever took with the 70-300 and I didn't have to enter any settings. The lens talks to the camera and the camera talks to the flash. As you zoom the camera lens, the flash will actually zoom to optimize it's lighting coverage with the viewing angle (well, with the 70-300, the flash is atmax zoom because it's such a long lens but, with something like the 14-42, you can observe the flash zoom with the lens).

You can enter various "modes" on the flash if you require special flash needs. For example, if you need the flash to fire outdoors for fill-in purposes (lessening deep shadows in backlit subjects) you can selct a mode for that. But for average flash photography, setting the flash to "TTL Auto" covers your basic needs.

If you are looking at an image on the LCD and it's blurry, I can only GUESS that your camera hasn't found focus lock yet. In Live view (which I rarely use) you are seeing what the camera is seeing. If the camera is hunting for focus (as happens in low light or if the subject is of low contrast), you will see the unfocussed image on the LCD. For test purposes, It's always best to go outside and shoot some bright, contrasty subjects to check the focus. If you go out on a bright, sunny day and have a consistenctly blurry LCD image, I'd be surprised. But such a condition wouldn't surprise me if you are shooting indoors in available light.

EDIT: Here's a couple of my previous Fl-36R Flash related posts:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=591507&forum_id=36

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=594966&forum_id=36

Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:41 PM   #10

LoL thanks signalsoldier. I will post some pics soon.

Brent, I may hold off on the flash for the time being since I actually found a way to shut off the blinking flash focus. I think if in the first tab setting in the menu like the 1 so a couple down..Im not lookin at the camera this second. And I believe it was the AF illumintor...anyway now when a pic is taken in a low light situatiion I dont frigten small children.

THen if I ever do need it to auto focus in low light I can simply turn it backk on to blind flash, so that was something I found handy to learn.

Also while I was in a camera store today, I saw the Olympus 850 SW. I haer it takes amazing pictures AND is waterproof which is a nifty little feature I can play around with to like 10 feet submerged, up to like 30 minutes and its freezeproof to. So I could take it in the snow and rain and not be worried. Image quality is obviously important. And its small and lightweight.

So okay now im torn between the Oly S 760 and S 1020 and now this Stlus 850 SW Con for the 850 has the waterproof going but again quality is the highest importanty as is something that will shoot video with sound.