Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:50 PM   #1

Over the Labor Day Weekend, a close friend of mine celebrated his 65th birthday. After a few too many beers, my wife and Bernie the birthday boy agreed that they would jump off the Sandwich boardwalk bridge the next day. Now mind you this is not a very high bridge, but...............

Anyways, Pam( Bernie's wife) and I went along for the ride and to take photos.

The following is a photo from that day

I decided to submit it to the local town newspaper to seei f they wouldpost it on their website. I guess they liked it 'cause I found out that it was published as an editor's choice image in the Sunday printedition.

I guess that I can finally say that my works been published:??:?

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2

Way to go Zig!! You have arrived, and can truthfully claim that your photography is published. And in the Sunday edition no less. (Too bad you didn't get paid for it! LOL!!)

:lol:

I think that's great. The only place my photos have ever been publishedare on my own HP Ink Jet Printer.

Keep up the good work.

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3

Well done Ziggy, It's a fun local interest photo and I can see why they picked it up.

Now I can say that I know (loosely) a professional 'tog.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:07 AM   #4

Hi Zig!

Just want to say well done mate !!! Any ideas what the bridge jumping event is ??

Cheers

Harj

: o )>
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:54 PM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I decided to submit it to the local town newspaper to seei f they wouldpost it on their website. I guess they liked it 'cause I found out that it was published as an editor's choice image in the Sunday printedition.

I guess that I can finally say that my works been published:??:?

Zig
Hi, Zig

Congratulations! I just had the same thing happen to me - a photo published in the county newspaper. I hadn't thought about posting it here because it wasn't taken with the 70-300 lens du jour, but I figure there are a few of us who are not lusting after a long slow lens so for those few of us,take heart - you can still use a good lens to take good photos.

We have an avian rescue building to accept theparrots that people bought as adecoration in their house before they realized that most parrots live as long as humans,are more intelligent that most primates, and get neurotic when they are trapped in a cage (much as dogs are if you put them in a cage and never ever let them out). We had added an outdoor flight cage to the aviary and had a public event to unveil it.

The county newspaper published this photo of mine with the story. Curiously, they had sent a pro 'tog to the event, but it was a typical mid-atlantic summer afternoon - 95ยบ F plus 100% humidity. So he set his FF CaNikon on burst mode and scrambled out of there without any patience to set up good shots.

PS: His FF CaNikon caused me to remember how big and heavy those FF DSLRs are, and caused me to chuckle in remembering all the whining about the size and weight of the E3 on on DPReview when the E3 came out.

Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:05 PM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Zig!

Just want to say well done mate !!! Any ideas what the bridge jumping event is ??

Cheers

Harj

: o )>
I was going to ask that as well...I thought it was going to be something like this.

[img]http://xtremesport4u.files.wordpress...=300&h=200[/img]

Victoria falls. 111 metre jump...:O
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:35 PM   #7

Hi All, Thanks to all of you for the kind comments.

Yes, Ken, it's pretty much a local interest story here, in the town of East Sandwich. Most all of the "townies" and those tourists that find out, go to the boardwalk that crosses Old Sandwich Harbor Creek.

Harj,

Throughout the Summer, at high tide, you can see a huge crowd build up around high tide- the sole purpose is to jump off the Bridge and cool offfrom the heat. That is the "event" Most times, there is a flotilla ofkayaks, rubber inflatables, etc. watching people jump off the bridge. Much to my surprise, this is not a sport limited to young kids. There are peopl of all ages there, jumping off and swimming back to the bridge only to do it again.

Ted, I'm glad you posted the photo using a lens other than 'the you know what'.

Congratulations on getting your photo in to the newspaper. It is said that a good picture tells the story without the need for words. Yours certainly succeeded in doing that.

BTW, how did you ever make out with your OM Legacy lens?

Hey Steven,

I know what it's like to publish your own work- I do it all the time since no one has ever asked for one. I'm sure you can imagine the surprise I felt when Bernie's wife called to say tha Bernie and Martha's picture were int the siunday paper

zig

Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:07 PM   #8

HI Ted

Now that you mentioned the FF Canikons - I had the chance to play with a Nikon D3 on Sunday, an impressive cam and the IQ looked superb but is it a big and heavy beastie. There is no way i would ever get a camera that weighed so much without a lens attached. The tog at the event (it was retirement party) was shooting with a standard Nikoor 3.5-5.6 zoom (not a kit lens) and I've got to say that the two combined seemed to weigh as much as the E3 + 35-100F2! I;d hate see what the D3 plus Nikkons 70-200F2.8 would wiegh.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:36 PM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Ted, BTW, how did you ever make out with your OM Legacy lens?

Hi, Zig

Sorry for this delayed response to your question.

You're referring to the legacy (manual) Oly 100mm F2. I had bought it because a lot of the shotsI take with the ZD 35-100 f/2 are at 100mm so I was thinking it would be nice to use the way smaller and lighter legacy100mm F2.

I did a number oftest shots and the legacy Oly 100mm F2 seemedconsistently softer to me, than the ZD 35-100 f/2. Another way of putting it is that the images with the ZD 35-100 f/2 just have a lot of pop to them.

I don't have the time to do extensive testing, but my conclusion is that Oly's claim that lenses for their DSLR cams, having been designed forDSLR sensors, work better, is in general a valid claim. I do know that many of the folks in this forum have been very happy using Oly legacy lenses, but based on my limited testing I'm inclinedto stay with the Oly ZD lenses.

All that said, I figure that part of my conclusion is just that the ZD 35-100 f/2 is simply an extraordinary lens - to me it should go down in history books as a classic. So the legacyOly 100mm F2 is probably a good lens but I think it can't really compete with one of the best lenses Oly has ever produced. I'm not a pro 'tog but I'm way above an amateur - I say that because I want to say that the ZD 35-100 f/2 has never produced anything but a great image, except when I have not held it steady enough to get a good focus in dim interior available-light situations.

Ted

Edit: the ZD 35-100 f/2 is to me like my cast iron Delta drill press made in 1946. Very heavy but when you need it, nothing else comes close.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:02 PM   #10

Hi Ted,

Been away from the computerfor a few days, so haven't checked the forum responses.

Not surprised by your findings. I've really had mixed results with various OM lenses. Some of my shots come out really sharp while many others are just plain soft or worse. I tried various procedures, liveview, split focus screen,tripod andI've come to the conclusion that rather than waste anymore money on lenses not designed specifically for the 4/3 system, I'm going to just concentrate on buying the best available Zuiko digitallens for a particular purpose( within my budget). Doing anything less is a waste of money and is frustrating.

Also, There is a darth of practical information (reviews)on the ZD 35-100mm f2 lens. I've tried to find reviews on the lens and have found none. On the plus side, I have been able to view a fair amount of photo samples on PBase and all of the images i've seen certainly support your statement that this lens is a classic. All the images I've seen were stunningly sharp.

Zig