Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:07 AM   #1

Thischubby yellowfinchwas sunning on my deckthe first week I had this camera.

I shot one without flash and one with fill flash turned 2 stops down.

Shot with Olympus E-510 w/40-150mm, Program mode, 100 ISO, F/5.6, 1/180sec, 150mm, cropped resized for posting.

Which one do you all like. I'm leaning toward the fill flash shot.

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:24 AM   #2

good morning,

both nice shots with the first exhibitng great detail because of the flash..... I'm a natural light guy and prefer the latter. But that's just me.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:56 AM   #3

I rarely use flash much like what is said above I love natural light....however in the case of choosing between the two the first picture shows awesome detail due to having more light.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:05 AM   #4

Those yellow finches like your deck don't they Jack? "If you feed them, they will come" (to quote from the corny "Field of dreams" where heaven is a cornfield in Ohio....)

Nice shots I like the flash shot a little better, it does highlight the colours and feathers better. Brings life to the shot.

Nicely done.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:54 PM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
good morning,

both nice shots with the first exhibitng great detail because of the flash..... I'm a natural light guy and prefer the latter. But that's just me.

Zig
signalsoldier wrote:
Quote:
I rarely use flash much like what is said above I love natural light....however in the case of choosing between the two the first picture shows awesome detail due to having more light.
Sometimes the only good shot with detail you can get, even in sunlight is with flash.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 4:51 AM   #6

nice shots jack. my nanday turns 23 in october - still going strong - a little too strong sometimes
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:34 AM   #7

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
nice shots jack. my nanday turns 23 in october - still going strong - a little too strong sometimes
Yeah, the Nanday can be pretty loud, spirited at times. But she is my pal. I've had her for 6 years now... have no idea how old she is because she landed on my shoulders in the woods 6 years ago in the Olympic Mountains and claimed me. We tried to find the owner and no one ever responded, so she is my girl now and a spoiled on at that. Here she is the day I got the two cockatiels my sister didn't want anymore.she is the day I got the two cockatiels my sister didn't want anymore.

Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8

Jack, even though I'm not too fond of flash photography, I think the E510 did a great job here. Now, I went ahead and played with that second shot a bit since my preference isfor non-flash images. Hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:17 AM   #9

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Jack, even though I'm not too fond of flash photography, I think the E510 did a great job here. Now, I went ahead and played with that second shot a bit since my preference isfor non-flash images. Hope you don't mind.
I don't mind at all... but it would help me if you tell me what you did so I can LEARN something.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:38 AM   #10

I did very little. I have PSE4 so I went to Enhance/Adjust Lighting/Shadow&Highlights and adjusted the three sliding bars to my liking. Then I cropped it in Picasa.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote