Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:18 PM   #11

I think Oly not including an EVF on the m43 cam is a mistake, although anyone used to a P&S may not miss it and that coudl well be the intended audience for this one.

For me the m43 - needs to be about a G9/G10 size, in a rangefinder shape (oly's m43 design is pretty cool - but my personal fav LC1) and with Pana's EVF. If Pana or Oly made one of those I;d get it without thinking about it - it would be the perfect street/candid cam and until they do I'll just sit and wait and see.

Now the tweener - thats interesting as they've but the AF-lamp back, and more than likely are using the new 12MP NMOS sensor. It'll be interesting to see what the IQ from the cam is like and also its size compared to the E1 and E3.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:20 PM   #12

Hi ted

I have a feeling they wont be ditching XD any time soon. Another reason to perhaps look at a Panaleica m43 cam, unless Oly do a CF version then I'm all ears.

:idea:

harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:37 PM   #13

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
With the press release of this new intermediate model DSLR that will be available in the 1st quarter of 2009 which , as Steven has pointed out already, is about 6months, has Olympus effectively shut down sales of theirexisting E-series DSLRcamera?

Knowing that a new camera is about to be relased, would you buy an E-3? -or for that matter, any E-series camera?

Just a thought.

I think there will still be lots ofusers who would prefer a body the size of an E520 and/or E420 if all the options were on the table today, which they aren't. Now, the ones contemplating moving up will have to think about what they want, unless they need an upgraded body now, making the decision easy since the E3 will continue to beyour only option for several months, and that'sassumingOlympus has the time line right, which we should not assume they do.....it could be longer before that new body actually hits the store shelves. The longer you wait, the more you miss shooting.

Now that I have the FL50R I'd like to try the wireless flash option. The idea of using a bracket to get the flash further away from the lens axis is much more simple and appealingif you can eliminate the off-camera TTL cord.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:46 PM   #14

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Wow, not only a less expensive alternate to the E-3, but did you also see the super tiny micro 4/3 with interchangable lens? What a great alternative to a cheap point and shoot, yet still fits in your pocket to carry anywhere!. I want one of each.

Don't underestimate the appeal ofdSLR quality intiny package that fits in your pocket. I was reminded of that just this week when I took my camera along when I went for a long walk.After an hour,the weightof the camera started to be a real drag.

Yup. I'm one who's dying for a camera like that. The G1 is actually quite a bit bigger. At the dimensions they announced on this, 119x64x31mm, that's only 3mm thicker, and 7mm taller, than my Fuji F30. It is about 26mm loner, so I imagine dropping it into a jeans pocket, it's not going to be quite as comfortable to sit down. But still, a 4/3 sensor and Olympus Zuiko glass on what looks like a compact camera is pretty interesting to me.

How much can I really do with my E-330 that I won't be able to do with this?

But apparently, this one is not even an actual model yet, but a concept camera. So I'm not expecting it to be available too soon. Hopefully the design is a sign they will have some prime lenses in the plans as well though?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:25 PM   #15

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Don't underestimate the appeal ofdSLR quality intiny package that fits in your pocket. I was reminded of that just this week when I took my camera along when I went for a long walk.After an hour,the weightof the camera started to be a real drag.
Well I am completely baffled by this. Sure, you can take an m43 cam on a long walk. But if it is a DSLR with interchangeable lenses and you want some extra lenses, which you will need to get a wide FL range, you'll be carrying more weight.

I don't understand why the folks in this forum completely ignore the Oly SP-5XX UZ line of DSLR cameras for grab-and-go cams (like for taking on a hike). For example the latest one, the SP-565 UZ, has a (non-interchangeable) 26 - 520mm eq., f/2.8 - 4.5 lens. Although I'm not excited about the EVF at least it has a viewfinder, and I can guarantee, based on my experience with my SP-550 UZ, that you would NOT have been dragged down by its weight on a long hike.

I can understand why Oly has introduced the m43 line, based on the competition in the marketplace and the need to move P&S folks into DSLRs, but I can't understand why the DSLR folks in this forum are so intrigued by the m43 line.

Matbe someone can enlighten me on this...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 7:21 PM   #16

Hi Ted: Let me explain a little bit better why I was excited about both cameras and would like to have both. Among the 6 Oly digital cameras I own, I already have an UZ, and it is a nice camera, and relatively compact. But the point is I still can't put it in my shirt pocket.

There are times when I just want a pocket camera, because I have no specific plans to take pictures, but just want a "just in case I see something interesting" camera.In those cases, I slip my Stylus 860 in a pocket. But lets face it, the snapshotsfrom that don't compete with my more expensive digitals that don't fit in my shirt pocket. The proposed Oly m4/3 would be about the same size as my Stylus, but should give better quality.

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 7:22 PM   #17

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
I can understand why Oly has introduced the m43 line, based on the competition in the marketplace and the need to move P&S folks into DSLRs, but I can't understand why the DSLR folks in this forum are so intrigued by the m43 line.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on this...

Ted
There are a few reasons why the micro 4/3 intrigues me.

1. It is small. e.g. Can take it skiing without a backpack.
2. You can use micro 4/3 or 4/3 lenses, so you can use your existing 4/3 lenses if you want to. (same lens base)
3. Because the flange/registration distance is short (20mm), you will be able to use ANY previous manual focus SLR lenses. e.g. The mount on Canon FD lenses is too bulky to be able to use an FD -> 4/3 adapter for infinity focus. With micro 4/3, you will be able to use Canon FD lenses via an adapter.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:13 PM   #18

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:

Matbe someone can enlighten me on this...

Ted
Hi Ted,

What got me excited this morning was the announcement by Olympus that a new mid-level DSLR (fourthirds)camera was under development and slated for release sometime in the 1st qtr of '09. According to the press release, it appears that this camera may be a significant improvement over the E-510, which I happen to own. Only time will tell wether that's true.

Having said that, I'm naturally interested in the micro fourthirds to the extent that it's a product that's being marketed by Olympus. While I don't plan to buy one (at least at this time) I hope that the product is a big success and makes Olympus a much stronger player in the marketplace. With greater success comes greater revenue, allowing for greater investment into research and design of better sensors, lenses and cameras.

If that happens, we'll all benefit by havinga better product offering.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:37 AM   #19

some photos of the new DSLR camera:

http://www.akam.no/artikler/spennend...us/56214?pid=1

So far, I like what I see. Wish I could read German though....................
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:59 AM   #20

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
some photos of the new DSLR camera:

http://www.akam.no/artikler/spennend...us/56214?pid=1

So far, I like what I see. Wish I could read German though....................
That's actually Norwegian!!!!

If you paste the web address into Google, and hit translate, you will get it all!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote