Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:00 AM   #21

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
I can understand why Oly has introduced the m43 line, based on the competition in the marketplace and the need to move P&S folks into DSLRs, but I can't understand why the DSLR folks in this forum are so intrigued by the m43 line.

Matbe someone can enlighten me on this...

Ted
Hi Ted,

What got me excited this morning was the announcement by Olympus that a new mid-level DSLR (fourthirds)camera was under development and slated for release sometime in the 1st qtr of '09. According to the press release, it appears that this camera may be a significant improvement over the E-510, which I happen to own. Only time will tell wether that's true.

Having said that, I'm naturally interested in the micro fourthirds to the extent that it's a product that's being marketed by Olympus. While I don't plan to buy one (at least at this time) I hope that the product is a big success and makes Olympus a much stronger player in the marketplace. With greater success comes greater revenue, allowing for greater investment into research and design of better sensors, lenses and cameras.

If that happens, we'll all benefit by havinga better product offering.

Zig
I'm with you here Zig. There's no interest to me in the mini 4/3 or the pocket dslr but if they can generate interest and sales it has to better for all of us Oly fans.

This new (Tweenie) DSLR sounds like my kind of camera though. I'm not up for the E3 but I want a little more than my E500. They've made some major changes since the 500 andIlike others want to try them. It probably won't make me a better tog I'm not at all convinced that the camera make the man but I think I could enjoy using these newer features.

Google choked on the translation.....:?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:56 AM   #22

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
I can understand why Oly has introduced the m43 line, based on the competition in the marketplace and the need to move P&S folks into DSLRs, but I can't understand why the DSLR folks in this forum are so intrigued by the m43 line.

Matbe someone can enlighten me on this...

Ted
Hi Ted,

Having said that, I'm naturally interested in the micro fourthirds to the extent that it's a product that's being marketed by Olympus. While I don't plan to buy one (at least at this time) I hope that the product is a big success and makes Olympus a much stronger player in the marketplace. With greater success comes greater revenue, allowing for greater investment into research and design of better sensors, lenses and cameras.

If that happens, we'll all benefit by havinga better product offering.

Zig
I'm with you here Zig. There's no interest to me in the mini 4/3 or the pocket dslr but if they can generate interest and sales it has to better for all of us Oly fans.

This new (Tweenie) DSLR sounds like my kind of camera though. I'm not up for the E3 but I want a little more than my E500. They've made some major changes since the 500 andIlike others want to try them. It probably won't make me a better tog I'm not at all convinced that the camera make the man but I think I could enjoy using these newer features.

Google choked on the translation.....:?
Thanks to all for pointing out why a m43 camera might be of interest to folks in this forum. However, if you want the lens to be as compact as the camera body, the lens will be pretty slow especially if it's a zoom, so that combination will largelybe an outdoor camera only.

Scouse, you're not missing anything without the Norwegian translation - it's basicallya repeat of the Oly announcement.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 2:34 PM   #23

Hey Dnas,

Thanks for the correction.........I didn't have my morning coffee yet and was obviously not thinking... Not that it mattered any as I don't understand Norwegian any better than German:?

Thanks forreminding me that google can translate ......

As for the EA-1 Dslr, the more I look at it, the more I like it.

Articulated LCD display. I loved it on my C-5060WZ.

The mode dial being on the left makes the right side of the body a lot cleaner.

There doesn't appear to be an overwhelming numberof function buttons all over the body.

New control panel on top of body.

All good stuff....I'm lovin' it.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:43 PM   #24

Jeff over at DCr has some offical pics of the new m43 from Oly:

http://dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3807

When I first saw the tweener - I thought it was an E3 update. Looking at the latest batch of pics I'd say its preety close to teh final thing but when to expect a launch date and at what price without hitting E3 and E520 sales is anyones guess.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:10 PM   #25

Scouse, you're not missing anything without the Norwegian translation - it's basicallya repeat of the Oly announcement.

Ted

Thanks Ted. Actually if I'd have read properly instead of stopping when someone said German.....I'd have put in the correct language for translation...no wonder it choked.:-)
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:59 PM   #26

Some more pics of the EA1:

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/o...digitos,1_4590

Looking at those shots I;d say it wasn;t that much smaller than the E3 - possibly it might be a wee bit smaller than than the E1 but not by much. From the prism bump - it looks as if its got a much bigger OVF and some have suggested its the one from the E1. Personally its about time too that Oly used the e1's or one of the same size OVF.

Cheers

Harj

Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:25 PM   #27

Hey Harj,

i've not had an E-3 in my hands so I can't' compare it to any other bodies than theE-500 or E-510.. But the prototype unvieled ths week certainly looks closer to production than I first thought. There is an additional photo roaming around different forums with the new body equipped with a 14-54mm lens. This link takes you to an announcement in Japanese. you can easily see that this looks like the finished body-and not some hunk of wood or plastic made to look like a prototype.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/pa...-9294-4-1.html

Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:42 PM   #28

does anyone know what the megapixel count is gonna be? I'm planning on diving into olympus (from nikon), but, for specific reasons, more megapixels would come in handy.

while we're at it, does anyone know when the new 9-18 is going to be marketed?

thanks
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:52 PM   #29

kezs wrote:
Quote:
does anyone know what the megapixel count is gonna be? I'm planning on diving into olympus (from nikon), but, for specific reasons, more megapixels would come in handy.

while we're at it, does anyone know when the new 9-18 is going to be marketed?

thanks
There is a lot of speculation out relative to MP count as well as sensor type etc. These are the features thathave been included in Oly's press release:
  • World's fastest autofocus system (11-point) [/*]
  • Image stabilization with 5 steps of compensation [/*]
  • Splash and dustproof [/*]
  • 1/8000 sec max shutter speed [/*]
  • Rotating LCD display [/*]
  • High speed contrast detect AF with face detection [/*]
  • Ships in the first quarter of 2009 [/*]
One sentence in the announcement references the fact that this new camera will have all the features of the E-3. If that is the case, then this new DSLR will be a 10.1mp camera.

As for the 9-18mm lens, it was supposed to be released in the Fall of 2008-that's now. But, as far as I see, only Adorama is taking orders now with no delivery timeframe.

Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:12 AM   #30

Hi Kesz

As a guess I'd say it'll be using a 12MP sensor and possibly the same as the m43 G1, which is supposed to be an improvment over the e3's. Pana have already stated that the new 12MP sensor has more or less noise than the current 10MP and better DR.

Zig, my thoughts as well.. looking at those pics I'd say that's more than a prototype - it looks like the finished product and I wouldn;t be suprised if we see it any time soon.

Cheers

Harj