Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 22, 2008, 5:03 AM   #1

Here is a link to a press relase that announces the development of a new DSLR camera from Olympus.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...r%20thirds.asp

Details on the Camera will be unveiled at Photokina. The Camera is scheduled for release in the 1st qtr of '09

Zig

some more info -albeit not much more from imaging resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1222059602.html
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:35 AM   #2

Panasonic can have the micro four-thirds market for all I care. This is a MUCH more interesting development for someone interested in the Olympus system.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3

The first link don't work?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

Page Not Found
Sorry, that page doesn't exist on this server.

You may be following an outdated link or broken link within this site.

Please refer to our home page for a full set of links or search for specific news articles using the news article search engine.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:43 AM   #4

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...r%20thirds.asp

not sure why the original linkis no longer valid..........anyways,

If the above doesn't work, go to the home page and look at the breaking news.

zig
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:52 AM   #5

Wow, not only a less expensive alternate to the E-3, but did you also see the super tiny micro 4/3 with interchangable lens? What a great alternative to a cheap point and shoot, yet still fits in your pocket to carry anywhere!. I want one of each.

Don't underestimate the appeal ofdSLR quality intiny package that fits in your pocket. I was reminded of that just this week when I took my camera along when I went for a long walk.After an hour,the weightof the camera started to be a real drag.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:55 AM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic can have the micro four-thirds market for all I care. This is a MUCH more interesting development for someone interested in the Olympus system.
Iagree. This to me is of greater interest, in that the features mentioned in the release answer many of the issues that have been brought up as problems by the user community of Oly Dslr cameras.

The one disappointing point, to me, is that it looks like Olympus wasn't really planning on releasing this camera at Photokina. Either that, or they have had problems in development.I say that because the press release clearly states that this is an 'under development product'. Well, to me that says that Marketing was under some pressure to announce something at Photokina to keep up with the 'other' guys.

BUT, this is exciting to me. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

Zig

Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:57 AM   #7

Yes, Oly announced that the dSLR will come to market in the first quarter of 09. (That's within the next six months, so it's not that far away.)

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:18 AM   #8

What I found interesting on that press release page is the press release of the Oly SP-565 UZ.The release includes the note that it will accomodate a micro-SD card (!) using a "bundled attachment" which is presumably an xD-type card that holds a micro-SD. Does this mean that Oly will finally move away from xD?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:19 AM   #9

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Wow, not only a less expensive alternate to the E-3, but did you also see the super tiny micro 4/3 with interchangable lens? What a great alternative to a cheap point and shoot, yet still fits in your pocket to carry anywhere!. I want one of each.

Don't underestimate the appeal ofdSLR quality intiny package that fits in your pocket. I was reminded of that just this week when I took my camera along when I went for a long walk.After an hour,the weightof the camera started to be a real drag.

I'm sure that everyone is going to have an opinion as to which camera (Panasonic's G! or the Oly)will have greater market appeal. From my perspective, Olympus' camera design is head and shoulders better than the Panasonic G1. It is simple looking, smart in fact, and I think it in, no way, looks like a DSLR.

Things are starting to percolate. I'll be looking foward to reading aboutwhat kind ofbuzzhas been created with this new micro fourthirds at Photokina.

But, as i've already stated, my interest is clearly with the announcement of this new Oly DSLR.

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:29 AM   #10

With the press release of this new intermediate model DSLR that will be available in the 1st quarter of 2009 which , as Steven has pointed out already, is about 6months, has Olympus effectively shut down sales of theirexisting E-series DSLRcamera?

Knowing that a new camera is about to be relased, would you buy an E-3? -or for that matter, any E-series camera?

Just a thought.