Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:57 PM   #1

The one camera that I always wanted when I had my FZ10 was the LC1 and at the time I never even imaged getting an SLR from any manufacturer. I ended up with the wonderful E1 (Pana had stopped producing the LC1 6-12 months earlier) and now I have the wonderful E3. If I were ever to look at getting an M43 cam - Pana or Oly it would have to be very similar to the DMC LC1:

Make it slightly smaller in size, with Pana's EVF, 12MP sensor, sensor IS, articulated LCD and if it had too video to (although not necessary for me) I'd buy one at the drop of a hat. For a candid/street shooters cam it would be just perfect and as show piece m43 it would be tops. Add a nice fast 28-90 f2 and the likes of Canon's G10 would be toast...

It would also compliment the E3 and other EX cam's - no way I;d stick the 35-100F2 on something that small.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2008, 6:08 PM   #2

Just athought this design in the 4/3rd micro format a small backup or as you say street cam. Sounds good to me?
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 6:35 PM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Add a nice fast 28-90 f2 and the likes of Canon's G10 would be toast...
Hi, Harj

I could be wrong (I often am) but I would be surprised ifF2 lenses are in Oly'sm43business plan, just because an 28-90 f2 lens would be physically too large to fit in the m43 sales model. But if they do do that, I'll reverse my skepticism of the value of the m43 line for myself, and get one as a walkabout cam.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:51 AM   #4

Hi Ted

I'm hoping that we'd get to see some SHG lenses for m43 (minus the price) but there's a chance we might not see them from Oly, esp after reading the Q&A with Oly over at DPR. I think its a mistake esp if theyre smaller but I'd hope that Pana would intro a lens like the 22-90 f2.0-2.4 summricon on the LC1, which is possible one of the best ever lenses fitted to a P&S - minus the price!

I wouldn't want another DSLR style cam in m43 - the E3 is fine in that size and form.

Cheers

Harj

Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:31 PM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I'd hope that Pana would intro a lens like the 22-90 f2.0-2.4 summricon on the LC1, which is possible one of the best ever lenses fitted to a P&S - minus the price!

Hi, Harj

I assume the Pany LC1 has a much smaller sensor than a 4/3. Is the 22-90 a 35mm eq. focal range?

It's much easier to make fast zoom lenses if the lens has tocover a small sensor, which is why 4/3 lenses are smaller than lenses for FF cameras. Oly knows how to make small fast zooms - theE20 has a great lens (35-140mm eq. F2.0-2.4) but a much smaller sensor than the 4/3. My point is simply that for the market Oly thinks willbe interested ina m43 cam, a fast zoomwill likely be much larger thanthe buyerswill want.

Youcan't make any lens smaller for the m43 than it would be for a regular 4/3 cam.

Ted
__________________________________________________ ___________

Edit: In fact as I thought about this more, moving the lens closer to the sensor will increase the apparent size of the sensor that the lens "sees".So all things being equal an m43 lens would need to be slightly larger thanthe same4/3 lens, to produce the same optical performance.

And the "35mm equivalent" conversion factor, ~X2 for 4/3 lenses with a 4/3 sensor, would theoretically change (get slightly smaller)when mounted on an m43 cam. Has there been any discussion of this over at DPR?

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:28 AM   #6

Hi Ted

The sensor in the LC1, I think is the same as the E20 - it was a 2/3" CCD made by Sony, so your right about the lens size and speed of the LC1's 7-22 (22-90 f2-2.4 =35mm).

Regards the size of lenses for the m43 I don;t think anyones looked into in detail. From what I;ve seen the 14-45 G from Pana is a lot smaller than the Leica D 14-50 f3.5-5.6 and if Pana were using in cam IS I'm assuming the G would be even smaller. The new 7-14 F4 G is substantially smaller than Olys 7-14 but then again the G I;d say is an entry level lens. How much larger or smaller a fast Pro and SHG f2+ zooms would be on m43 is an interesting question ? I don't think we'll know Pana or Oly decides that they want to go after the serious am/semi-pro users, altough I think there is a definite market there for the taking of a rangefinder style cam with at least fast pro level glass.

Cheers

Harj