Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:17 PM   #1

We've been talking a lotthe last week or so,about the newproducts that Oly and Panasonic is coming out with in the near future. All good stuff from my perspective. Which led me to start thinking why I like taking photos, what lens or body would I buy next ( should I hit the lottery).

Not sure about the latter, but here are just4 of the reasons I like to take picutres:

I love watching my grandkids grow and see them every chance we get. Taking candids of them allows me to 'see' them when they are not with us.

What are your reasons?

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:48 PM   #2

.............and those are reasons enough I believe.

As you know, Zig, I have some of the very same reasons. Ahhhh, the grandkids.... we are very fortunate, you & I and all those other G'PAs & G'MAs
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:48 PM   #3

WOW! Cute kids Ziggy, must have gotten their looks down your wifes DNA...:-)
Really cute, such sweet innocent faces...until they wake up!

Yeh, I know what you mean, my family is so spread out that I don't see them nearly often enough. These two brats Talia and Elih have lived in China (Born in NZ) half their lives. Belong to Jenny my eldest, with a bit of help from David. I see them about every 18 months
Actually I have two great son in laws.

Mandy will be over from New Zealand in April with her two, Connor and Grace, Ihaven't seen them in a long while. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forwardto it.

Make the most of it you guys....It's fleeting

I never did do babies very well ...Ugly, smelly, squalling things (Be honest) But I love these guys, just so much fun.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:29 PM   #4

Great looking kids guys. :-)

Sounds like excellent reasons to own a camera.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:47 AM   #5

I can't draw or paint, so for me it's always been about creating art, not for snapshots of kids, pets, or sunsets, unless it's artistic (different, rather than a copy of every shot people have done before). For instance these shots of a ride at a fair where I purposely moved the camera during a long exposure:

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 6:06 AM   #6

Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses and kind words about the grandkiddies.

yes, Ken, how did you guess that my wife's DNA is predominant inour G-kids?:?Also, In these days where famiies are spread around the World, I feel very fortunate to have my family living withing a 150mile of my wife and I. Take lots of photos when your grandkids are visiting.

Mike, those are reallygreat shots! Far more creative than what I do. I'm altogether guilty of taking 'me too shots' of the standard landscape, sunset, people images. I hope you post more of your work.

The reason for this post was to get a discussion started (with photos, if possible) as to why we find ourselves drawn to this hobby. What we enjoy photographing. Equipment we use-obviously Olympus but type of camera,lens, etc. The point is to get some creative juices flowing andshare ideas.

I hope you respond.

:|

Zig

Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:08 PM   #7

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Mike, those are reallygreat shots! Far more creative than what I do. I'm altogether guilty of taking 'me too shots' of the standard landscape, sunset, people images. I hope you post more of your work.
Well, I've been photographing for over 30 years so I've done all of the "me too" shots, and unless it's a special family event I don't even take pictures of people anymore. Here's some more of my creative stuff, playing with LED lights:

Peacock Strut

Tunnel Vision

Parrot at Flower

Soul of H.A.L (laser pointer right up against lens)

Larger verion of Soul of H.A.L (the result amazed me):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...t/P7183813.jpg

Stapling a document (this was done in a dark room, firing the on camera flash when the shutter opens, moving the hand, and firing a portable flash with the TEST button before the shutter closed)

The next two sets are done with long shutter speeds and zooming the lens while the shutter is open...the first image of each batch is what the unaltered scene looks like:

Here's a link to an "accidental" Orton of the second scene (an Orton, an effect developed by Michael Orton is when you take two images, a normal one and one of the same scene blurred and sandwhich them together to get a glowing effect...this one was "accidental" because it is actually ONE image and someone called me so I moved the camera while the shutter was open to get a blurred image within the still image):

Larger version (you need to see the larger version to see the effect)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...PA134832aa.jpg

This one was taken with a 2mp C-700 (pictured in my avatar) and even using the hot pixels as a benefit, in this case stars..."Spaceship Over a Red Dwarf":

It's a closeup of a plasma globe:

Larger version so you can see what the gadget actually is:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...lasmaglobe.jpg

I love experimenting with the camera to see what I can capture, while digital has been great in that I don't need to worry about how much each pisture costs, I've seen it also as a negative in photography in general where people take boring shots and think, "I'll do something creative with Photoshop later." ALL of the shots here have been done in camera, with only minor corrections.

And one non-digital, this was the first image I created in the chemical darkroom, done WITHOUT a camera by placing objects right on the photographic paper and exposing the paper, I did this when I was 11 years old:

Larger version:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...darkroom11.jpg

Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:01 PM   #8

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I can't draw or paint, so for me it's always been about creating art,
Well Mike,

You say that you can't draw or paint and that may be true, (although I'm not so sure I believe that after having seen these images) but you certainly don't lack for an imagination!

I am absolutely impressed with your originality. I can honestly say that I don't think I've seen these types of images before. Greatcreativity and thanks sharing.

11years old?.........hmmmm, I was playingstickball at the time.

I have to add that I'm most impressed with the last image you posted-done without the aid of a camera. At 11, that to me is really amazing.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 4:30 PM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
11years old?.........hmmmm, I was playingstickball at the time.
Well, my mother was also a photographer with her own darkroom when she was younger...I actually started shooting with a 6x6 medium format that required using a light meter and range finder before I was 6, so I had the aptitude for photography and was already advanced before I was 11...the fear people had was a child using chemicals.

But it was digital that really opened up my creativity. I started editing images on the computer in the late-80's, but even though there was no limit on the computer I was more interested in what I could capture in-camera, and it's a lot more satisfying as well. Whenever I go on an outing I'll decide on a new technique to try.