Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:21 PM   #1

...well I have a few but it has hard to take off the big one!

I was rooting through my camera stuff today and found this little guy hiding there. It'smyZuiko 50mm 1.4. I bought it along with my OM1 way back in the early 70's.

I tried a few shots and it's really cool, I'd forgotten with all the zooooms and autos how versatile this little guy is. I can see now though why I put a split screen prism in my other cameras.

I shot this wide open to see how it would come out. Well you can see that focusing is critical with the lack of DOF with 1.4. But I was amazed that it took this on a dreary damp day at 1/640 @100asa. Did I say ASA??!

No I won't enter this in any contests, I just wanted to see what it looked like on screen though.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:21 PM   #2

Hi Ken,

Nice shot. Having the apple on the lower left in focus really draws your eye to it.I too enjoy using the OM legacy lenses and you're right, a split focus screen really does make a huge difference in getting the shot properly in focus.

Gotta go now, getting hungry....... think I'll check and see if we have any apples in the fridge

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3

nice bokeh. Which adapter do you use?
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:50 AM   #4

I pick mine from the trees....

I broke down a while ago and bought into Oly. I missed the time when all you had to do was call in and Oly would send you one...free.

The only other around I could find on line, looked like it was made out of scrap alloy and shaped with a bad file..:-)
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 6:21 AM   #5

dlpin wrote:
Quote:
nice bokeh. Which adapter do you use?
There are a couple of manufacturers found on EBay that supply good adapters for the 4/3 system.

I bought mine from Cirrus Wholesale. It is a very good quality adapter for around 25bucks US including shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/OM-lens-adapter-...742.m153.l1262

Only caveat is the supplier is in China and shipping takes about 2weeks.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:04 AM   #6

Hi Guys:Try RJ Camera Accessory Store on E-bay. Very reputable seller, withgood quality. While they sell the regular OM to 4/3 adapter, you need to look at the OM adapter with the focus confirmation LED. It's more expensive at about50 bucks, but the extra cost is worth it. The downside is the two week shipping time from China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-OM-ad...713.m153.l1262

I like the legacy lens. (As I should since I had a lot of lens from my old OM-2 days). My 50mm lens are all 1.8, I can tell who had the big dollars, as Ken had the 1.4!

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:29 AM   #7

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys:Try RJ Camera Accessory Store on E-bay. Very reputable seller, withgood quality. While they sell the regular OM to 4/3 adapter, you need to look at the OM adapter with the focus confirmation LED. It's more expensive at about50 bucks, but the extra cost is worth it. The downside is the two week shipping time from China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-OM-ad...713.m153.l1262

I like the legacy lens. (As I should since I had a lot of lens from my old OM-2 days). My 50mm lens are all 1.8, I can tell who had the big dollars, as Ken had the 1.4!

Steve R.
Hi Steven,

I've more than once almost pulled the trigger on getting the auto-confirm chip/OM adapter from RJ Camera but I haven't done itand probably wontbecause I've found that liveview on the E-510 worksquite well in 'fine tuning' in the focus.

Although I have 4 OM lenses and the 2XA converter which I pull out and use from time to time I've promised myself that I'm not going to buy anymore legacy lenses, preferring instead to save my pennies and only invest inZD lenses or those designed for the 4/3 system.

Having said that, if I find a nice OM 90mm macro somewhere, I might change my mind.:?

Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:19 AM   #8

Hi zig: I understand that, if I buy anymore lens, they will be the digitals. I just have a bunch ofvarious Zuikos from my 35mm days.

Somehow I can't seem to part with them, so it's best to make use of them. Anyway, I think you ought to spend the money on the focus confirm, so you can focus without taking your eye off the viewfinder. (See how easy it is for me to recommend that, since it doesn't cost me anything and it's not my money! LOL!!)

:lol:

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:14 PM   #9

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Somehow I can't seem to part with them, so it's best to make use of them. Anyway, I think you ought to spend the money on the focus confirm, so you can focus without taking your eye off the viewfinder. (See how easy it is for me to recommend that, since it doesn't cost me anything and it's not my money! LOL!!)

:lol:

Steve R.
Hi Steven,

I know the feeling, the OM lenses that I have a worth far more to me than what I could get for them on EBay these days. Besides, it still great fun mounting an older lens and using the camera as you would a film camera.

As for the auto-confirm adapter, when you get yours, you can tell us all about how you like it-that will compel me to buy one:roll:.