Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:15 AM   #1

From Saturday night, as mentioned above, shot with the E510 and 12-60mm f2.8-4 Digital Zuiko. I also used the FL50R flash with the Demb bounce attachment. Shot RAW and processed in Olympus Studio 2.0 software.

Here, I did "cheat" a little with Photoshop, duplicating the Layer, using the Gaussian blur filter to create a soft focus look, then used a Layer Mask to paint through the blurred Layer to reveal the sharper tree and bride. I also cloned out someonearriving lateto the ceremony that wasjust to the right of the tree walking down to take their seat.

A Groom's cake you'd only find in Texas..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:53 AM   #2

...............hey,

These are great with all the attributes I've come to expect of your photos. The naturalness (is that a word) in your finished photos continues to be something I strive for.

Which size Demb reflector do you have? I like the idea of maybe replacing the rubberband/paper arrangement I use.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:55 AM   #3

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Which size Demb reflector do you have? I like the idea of maybe replacing the rubberband/paper arrangement I use.

Thanks Bob!

It's called the "Big Bounce", but it's the middle of the three sizes. There's an even bigger one, but it seems to me like it'd be overkill, or meant to impress the clients! It's a very light weight accessory.

I also flipped out the flashes'built-indifussor panelto further spread out the light.

Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:18 PM   #4

......back again Greg and have to say that after seeing the gallery I am somewhat surprised with the many files showing high levels of noise which is unlike your usual work.

I am wondering if maybe it is due to the lighting offered via the 'Big Bounce'. I do see the effects in some of the indoor shots as well as in many of the outdoor scenes.

This is not meant to be a critique.... I'm just curious as to what may have caused the occurrence particular to this event set.

I did download one file, ran it through Bibble - Noise Ninja and that file cleaned quite well. Does Olmpus Studio have a noise plugin?

thanks,
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:23 PM   #5

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
......back again Greg and have to say that after seeing the gallery I am somewhat surprised with the many files showing high levels of noise which is unlike your usual work.

I am wondering if maybe it is due to the lighting offered via the 'Big Bounce'. I do see the effects in some of the indoor shots as well as in many of the outdoor scenes.

This is not meant to be a critique.... I'm just curious as to what may have caused the occurrence particular to this event set.

I did download one file, ran it through Bibble - Noise Ninja and that file cleaned quite well. Does Olmpus Studio have a noise plugin?

thanks,
____
boBB
Hi again Bob. Comments/observations are why I post images, so keep them coming, I can handle it!

Yes, it was pitch dark by the time it was time to do group images. I left the "info/camera data" off since that particular folder is a proof set for them to look at, but I'll tell you I did shoot all the flash shots once the light was all gone at ISO 800 to maximize the flash range,adjusting the bounce attachment to a 45 degree angle tointensify the light, Ileft the cameras'noise filter off, and did raise the light levels on many of those a littlevia the (+) exposure compensation adjustment in the RAW processor, which would have emphasized what you are seeing even more.

Studio doesoffer the ability to use the same noise filter settings you coulduse in-camera although I did leave it off to retain all the detail the file had. I alsobelieve Studio has anoise filter that could be applied to the finished JPEGS although I have nottried it. I'm not exactly sure how much I'd evenwant to try andremove. The noise in these images isn't the ugly, splotchy, colornoise like I see in high ISO files from a camera like my Panasonic FZ50. A little grainey effect like I used to see in Fuji NHG 800 film isn't all that completely bad, and the last thing I'd want are completely noiseless images with smoothed outdetails.

I do notanticipate any of these will be printed to any appreciable size beyond possibly the miscellaneous 8x10 or so, and my experience has been prints do not show noise to the same extent looking at a file at a larger sizeonline will,and I don't see most of these guysdoing that either beyond possibly a fit to screen size.

Most people typically don't know how to use the crop tool in Smugmugwhen ordering prints, so I include a note asking anyone to notify me if they plan to order anything larger than an 8x10 so I can supply them with an image that's already cropped for printing to that size, and I could, at that point, prepare the file for larger printing by running it through Neat Image or Studio again with noise filtering, but for proof printing or up to8x10 I don'tbelievethese will be objectionable. I may order a larger print or two just to see how they come out.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:43 PM   #6

Hi Greg,

nice shots.The flash diffuser reallly does make a difference in the quality of the image.

What flavorwould an armadillo wedding cake be exactly?????:shock:

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:56 PM   #7

Thanks Greg for the explanation, some of which I suspected.

I have a 22" widescreen monitor @ 1680 x 1024 that when viewing SmugMug in slideshow format pretty much shows at 11x14 size. The color runs very close to print 'real' and viewed IQ pretty much shows the range of 'oh! oh! to wow plus'.

Sometimes I see things that present questions so in this case I asked. If viewing the Smugfiles in the normal mode the 'grain' of course is not as noticeable.

....agreed that the SmugMug crop tool is not used by most people at print time but the tool is quite good if used and maneuvered as intended, you and I know that. During the past high school baseball season a lot of my files were printed (that made me feel good), I had a talk with some of the parents before they did print and those people told others how the crop tool works and how to use it. The results were good for them.

I like how you do your large print files with the photo file matted to the backdrop. Do you still have the instruction gallery online? It has always been one of those exercises I intended to try but never did.

Again thanks for the reasoning explanation, I do understand it.

Surely is a pretty day today, we should have gone to the fair !!!

boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:07 PM   #8

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

What flavorwould an armadillo wedding cake be exactly?????:shock:

Zig
In this case, RED VELVET! I've never had Red Velvet with chocolate icing, but it did look"real" on the outside, and when they cut into it, it kind-of reminded me of the way I typically see armadillos down here....on the side of the road.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 3:47 PM   #9

Got some good photo's there. ? where you the main photographer ?

I like the idea of his/ her cake, we don't do that over hear.

the e510 & 12-60mm combo looks good.

how do you find it in low light i still find low light the lenses still hunt even with E3, E330. I wish olympus would put another detection system in there future cameras. or make the onboard infrared work better i find my E330 finds focus faster than the E3 when fl50 flash attached in low light. and future fl50R should be radio instead of IR as you still need line of sight. alough i did get the fl50R free so cant crumble to much.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:58 AM   #10

Hi Greg

Those are some fine shots and good compositions. Looks as if the Demb bounce is a pretty handy bit of kit to have. The 12-60 definitely sharper than the 14-54 and I'm assuming even with the 510 focuses pretty rapidly.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote