Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1

What a wonderful couple of weekends of weather following 'Ike' we've had in North central Texas.

In this area of Texas football is the king of fall sports but along with youth soccer we do have T-ball and I am shooting baseball again after a few weeks reprieve.

This brand of baseball can be quite entertaining, though somewhat depending on how many grandkids are playing. I have one, Grant will be 5-YO in December, this is his rookie season. No trading cards yet but.........

Hey Zig, here are a couple my reasons I own a camera, pretty much the same as you, Ken and others

From the E-3, 50-200ZD or 14-54ZD
_________
boBBrennan

....the bench, Grant in helmet. Here we have the usual action at each of the bases

........this will be a great RBI opportunity for Grant, gotta get hydrated -- his sister checks the game situation.

........and grandson Grant sends one deep. Actually it got past 'fielders row'.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:31 PM   #2

Hey Bob,

Great photos!! and watching grandkids play organized sport of any kind at that age is a real hoot.

Acoupleitems I've noticed in your shots;

It appears that you have a lot more adult coaches per player than we do back here. Obviuosly, the parents are a bit are involved-and that's a good thing.

More importantly, Grant looks like he's got the swing down pat. He looks good at the plate.

Have fun and thanks for sharing!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:16 PM   #3

..........thanks Zig,

You know, 34 years ago when I coached on that same field and Grants daddy played there we did not have as many 'coaches'. It was me and one other fellow for our team, but today the program is different and for the better too.

When the youngsters take the field a parent or a whomever big person is encouraged to stand alongside the ball player to verbally assist with the what's, where's and thattaway's.

Yep, it has been a long time since I was involved with the the sport at this age level, I too was surprised to see how it has changed. Most of the kids still have a good time as do most of the grownups, I surely do and it's a great way to spend Saturday mornings.

I hope 'Kyle' only whispers on the way by Cape Cod!
____
boBB

Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:01 PM   #4

No, No, No....this subject line makes NO SENSE! There is no other Fall sport than football!:lol:

That is one busy field, and I miss those days. I'm left with going to Lubbock and trying to find my daughter in the mass of uniforms during halftime at Texas Tech football games. It's the only time she'll not make an ugly face when I try to take her picture....I guess from a lifetime of having had her picture taken too many times.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:33 PM   #5

No No No No Football is the only fall sport. Football were you kick the ball I mean..! :-)

I coached football or Sawker as you colonials like to call it for 10 years in town here. (Gave up when my knees gave out last year!)

OK "Soccer" is an English term and one has to differenciate between the sports. Ireallydo enjoy following the Seahawks and the sport itself but never saw anything of the sport except on old Holywood movies other than a novelty match played on a military base. In England or when I was in Germany.

Promised myself I'd try some pics of some of the kids soccer this year, if they're as good as what you guys get I might try match reports and photos with the local rag.

Nice shots Bob. Great one of Grant, nice follow through and I love the eyes fixed on the ball.
In an earlier photo I saw the way he was getting his hips into the swing. (No, sorry that was Ziggys )
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:19 PM   #6

Hi guys,

Up here in the Northeast, this time of year,we've got lots of sports for boys. we've got football, then there's Football, and uh, I almost forgot FOOTBALL!!!!

Baseball is a Spring and Summer sport here. That is except for the Red Sox.

Greg, I had to laugh when you mentioned that your daughter makes faces everytime you try and take a photo. I thought it happened to only me. My grandkids have gotten so tired of me taking their picture that. They run away when they see me taking the E-510 out.

Well, Kyle never really got too close to the Cape- just close enough to dump 6.5inches of rain over the weekend where I live. Finally saw some Sun this afternoon after 5days of Washington State weather:roll:

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:31 PM   #7

Man, I am nuts.....

Just went online and bought a ticket to the Texas-Oklahoma game October 11 in the Cotton Bowl....$212 for one ticket....and it's not even on the *right* side of the stadium, but I'll be there! The Fair that day is quite an experience, and with the Cotton Bowl expansion, instead of 73,000 fans, it'll be closer to 92,000.

It's a ton of fun to be in the middle of a crowd like that, as the stadium is in the middle of Fair Park and the State Fair is going on, so there's 92,000 football fans and as many or more in the park outside the stadium. I will just have to keep my mouth shut during the game...
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:38 PM   #8

Yeah right on keeping quiet, a hook'em horns & the orange will take care of that. For 212 let'em know how you feel 'boutit. The year (1974) we moved here from California was my first experience with OU weekend Friday night in downtown Dallas, B4 one way streets, and all the streets downtown were part of it. The downtown non-party businessess closed at 3pm and most of us got out of town before sundown that day.

I had to go into the office next morning, Saturday, and in my parking lot there was this massive mountain of cans hauled there to be hauled away by dump truck. I was amazed and still can see that pile 34 years ago.

I don't remember what the ticket prices were but probably less than 50$ for 50-yard seats. Shoot, Cowboy tickets them days was reasonable, compared to their $150,000 per seat license plus $400 per seat per game at the new stadium.

Greg, you got a pretty good deal just to get tickets this close to the game. I will look for you in HD, they do show that side don't they?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:23 PM   #9

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Yeah right on keeping quiet, a hook'em horns & the orange will take care of that. For 212 let'em know how you feel 'boutit.
Absolutely...BUT, I didn't say which side was the *right* one. The last time I made this game, it was just a *little* crowded. Can't imagine this scene with 20,000 MORE fans in the same area...

and I wound up going home happy..

The otherissue is, I'm pretty certain they won't be letting DSLR's in the stadium, so I'll be going in to Fair Park with something else to take pictures with....just not sure what yet.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:02 PM   #10

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Yeah right on keeping quiet, a hook'em horns & the orange will take care of that. For 212 let'em know how you feel 'boutit.
Greg, again! .....buy some 'horns' stuff and learn to do the hook, nobody over there will pay attention when you start the 'boomer sooner' thing.

I ain't admitting you hooked me with your post.......

Besides, I really like watching Sam Bradford play football.

well, enough of that .. I posted a query to you in your 'Big Bounce' thread.