Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:06 PM   #1

As good as the E-3 w/14-54ZD combo is, it is HEAVY. Not heavy as in kink in neck, see chiropractor, look for something lighter.......... but it is heavy compared to my E-300 and 14-45ZD f/3.5 - 5.6

Today I followed these fellows as they installed IR strobe switches (emergency traffic gate control) on the gates of our neighborhood. I chose to use the E-300 14-45ZD and realized again for the first time how really good the setup can be. It has been a while since using the lens and like the 40-150 ZD it should be used a bit more often, especially when there is LIGHT.

These files are rather 'snapshotish' from program mode during early morning harsh light.....but the end files are pretty decent quality I think.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:44 PM   #2

Hi Bob

Thanks for the pics and comments on the setup, my E1+14-45ZD gives the exact same feeling compared to the E3. I think some 14-14-45s are of pretty high quality and come pretty close to the 14-54ZD and I think Wroitnaik's review of the two lenses shows this to be the case. So as a kit lens its a crackign little lens.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:01 PM   #3

Thanks Harj,

Yes, the original 14-45 and 40-150 that I have are both so good that I will never part with either so long as I have a 4/3 camera to use them with. I've used both with the E-3 and the 14-45 turns out to be an easy load, just a tiny bit smaller than with the ...54 it becomes a nice walk out setup.

Good to see you on, been a while, I hope you've been having fun.
____
boBB
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:06 AM   #4

That was my reason for buying the E-300 instead of the only other choice the E-1 three years ago, and while I had the opportunity to try out Olympus' entire lens and accessory lineup two years ago, I stuck with the kit lenses due to weight issues.

When the 14-42 came out I tried it because people kept saying how much better it was than the 14-45, HOWEVER I found no improvement, in fact it was worse so I stuck with the 14-45, and I told people this...needless to say this caused a lot of debate to the point where all we could agree on is there's good copies and bad copies of both lenses.

I finally found a used 14-42 that was as decent as my 14-45 was, so I could shed some more weight and size.

So, why didn't I opt for the even lighter, smaller newer Oly's...I didn't like the feel of them, and even though the E-4xx format was almost the same size as the SLR I used for 20 years:

I now find the E-4xx format TOO SMALL when I try to use it, so I stuck with the E-300, until a few months ago when I bought the E-330 for its live view features and tilt screen.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:39 AM   #5

.......hi Mike,

We've both said before the E-300 just feels good. Every once in a while I get rehooked to it for casual usage. I have fairly large hands and the newer smaller model cameras don't even get a chance from me.

I really like using the E-3 but there are times when 'been there and done that' takes over. Same thing happened many (MANY) years ago when I was racing, certain grand prix runs just required bringing out the old 'fun' iron.

BTW, I believe you once posted a link for parts purchase for repairing the FL-36 lock ring assembly, mine has been broken for months and it is time to fix it. I once found a place, seemed reasonable.... the whole assembly at about $40.

Problem is I cannot find the link now, forgot what it is, did not save in bookmarks camera folder and just getting tired 'googling'.... any ideas or suggestions.

tnx, boBB

Old Oct 3, 2008, 2:56 AM   #6

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
BTW, I believe you once posted a link for parts purchase for repairing the FL-36 lock ring assembly, mine has been broken for months and it is time to fix it. I once found a place, seemed reasonable.... the whole assembly at about $40.

Problem is I cannot find the link now, forgot what it is, did not save in bookmarks camera folder and just getting tired 'googling'.... any ideas or suggestions.
Yes, go directly to the site here:
http://www.uscamera.com/fl36.htm

Probably the easiest part for repair would be the entire assembly for $40, looking at the picture it appears to connect with just plugging in the wiring harness and doing up the four screws...the other parts appear to require more work to do the repair.

Note I have not done business with this company, I'm only passing on the link.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:06 AM   #7

Yep, that's the place and part I had in mind. I am going to order the assembly today.

tnx,
____
boBB