Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:05 PM   #1

I saw this today and know how some of you guys are always looking at faster prime lenses.

Then I noticed that it came out earlier in the year. Oops! Oh well..:-)

http://reviews.photographyreview.com...x-dg-hsm-lens/

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:35 PM   #2

Hi Ken,

Actually, you're not off the mark.

Sigma announced on Sep 23rd that the 50mm f1.4 released earlier in the year, would now be available in the fourthirds mount.

I also thought there would be some more interest in the news given that a number of discussions in this forumhave revolved around the availability of a fast 50mm prime. I guess it was overlooked given the buzz about the release of the G1, tweener dslr, micro fourthirds by Olympus..

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:29 AM   #3

The Sigma's had some really good reviews for Canon/Nikon and I'm waiting to see how it fairs on the 4/3's - I'm hoping its as good and fingers crossed even better. If I get a chance to get my mits on one I'll let you all know!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4

Love to see what you think of it Harj so please grab one when you can...

I'm staying with my 2 kit lenses for a while yet, them and the 70-300 seem to do what I need to do right now. As a small prime I'll keep hold of my 50mm 1.4 legacy glass. My other old lenses seem to be too much of an effort to set up when I know I'm already covered in those ranges.

The only other "Lens" and I use the term loosely is my 5 inch Celestron. I need another camera mount for it. (The original is hiding in my basement somewhere!) Oh and a tripod mount. But I'll start playing with this next year when I have more time.
I'd love to see what I can do with this on the E500.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:45 PM   #5

I have to admit, this is a Sigma lens that interests me. The macro 50mm f2 Zuiko is as good as this type lens gets, and f2 is fast, but a lens with a 35mm FOV of 100mm, with a speed of f1.4 is worth looking at, and this one looks very nice.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:56 PM   #6

Having had the 50mm f2 ZD, I can attest to it's superbly sharp image qualities. I sold it last year because I really didn't use it all thatmuch. (I regret having done that, now)One thing about that lensthat I found annoying was that it had a tendency to hunt in low light.

It would be interesting to me to see how thesigma 50mm f1.4 compares to the ZD 50mm in terms of resolution and being a faster lens, it shouldbe superin low light. Seems to me,that it would make a heck of a portrait lens.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote