Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:27 PM   #1

Our school athletic director asked me if I could attempt to get some shots for the school yearbookduring a recent game. They had been using students with P&S cameras and wanted to get a little closer to the action. These are some of my efforts. Since I was right on the sidelines I didn't need the full 300, but on the shole I was pleased with the results. I hope our AD likes them!
Attached Images

spedangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2

Our team is in blue
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3

The opposing team had a BIG QB!
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:34 PM   #4

Our kids played well but the other team claimed the victory.
Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:42 PM   #5

A bright sunny afternoon made the task pretty easy.
Attached Images

Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:00 AM   #6

Spedangie,

I few suggestions if you don't mind. There are a couple things you can easily do that will make a big improvement.

1. Focus is off on several of these - appears to be focused on the background. I'm assuming your camera allows you to select using a single focus point vs all points. Use that option. Then the task is just to keep the focus point on the player you're interested in.

2. Fill the frame with your subject - this will greatly help your focus. It's even easier when you shoot in portrait orientation. If you get the player filling 2/3 of the frame in portrait orientation your focus will be much better.

3. Shutter speeds. I see speeds of 1/400 - that's really too slow and you've got a bit of motion blur. Bump up the ISO - don't be afraid of ISO 400 even on a bright day.

4. Faces. Position yourself in front of, rather than behind, the action. This way you'll be able to see faces in the photos. Just think about what player you want to get a picture of and where the best vantage point will be to get a photo of their face during a play.

I think for what you're after that will be enough. Tighter framing, single focus point and portrait orientation will all get you better focus and bumping up the ISO will remove the motion blur. And they're all pretty easy things to apply at your next game!

Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:29 AM   #7

Again - hope you don't mind I find it helpful to see illustrations of principles when I'm getting advice. So to that end:

On positioning. Running backs are the easiest to shoot because they have the ball so much. Get down field from the line of scrimmage so they're running towards you:

Defense - at or behind the line of scrimmage:

Linemen - position yourself so you have a view of that lineman through a gap in the opposing team:

Quarterack - side is easiest:

But if you can get one from downfield a bit with the quarterback throwing towards you that's great too. Again, please dont think I'm trying to hijack your thread - just trying to show you how a face in the photo really makes a strong impression.

Receivers are tougher. But there probably aren't a LOT of fly routes in middleschool where the receiver is catching a pass over their shoulder. Probably a lot more where the receiver is turning back toward the quarterback. So, position yourself just past the line of scrimmage (so less players in the way but not too far downfield) and catch the receiver turning around to catch the ball.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote