Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:59 PM   #11

Well between these programs, I ought process my RAW files OK.

According to my "open" in PS7, it shows RAW files? So, shouldn't it work in PS7?

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 2:16 PM   #12

I love lightroom it does everything I need 1 stop pop......although I am sure I would not own it if it was not free. Government licensed got it to me for free so I guess I am one of the lucky ones who did not have to pay $300

my .02
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:02 PM   #13

Thought I;d chip in as well!

Now I really like the way LR works - Adobe have it nailed down to perfection and I like CS3 too (both use CR 4.4 or newer), but personally I think the best RAW convertor for the E3's ORF files is Studio 2. I say that only becuase with LR/CS3 the RAW files have a noticable but slight NR applied to files (even with no NR set), whereas with Studio and the incam jpegs, you get very fine grain instead. I still end up using CS3/LR just because its so much easier to recover detail and has a nicer work flow but Studio2 produces better detailed files. I'll post some example crops to show the difference if any one wants to see what I mean. Itd be cool to see what Bibble, silkypix and Capture One compare to the Jpegs from the cam.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:38 AM   #14

jack55,

What you see in the box is just plain old "RAW" What you are looking for is '.ORF" which is the Olympus extension for it's raw file. Open your image in Olympus Master 2 which you already have then save it to a folder of your choice. As the image is saved OM2 will convert it to jpg where you can work on it in 7.0 if you choose.

Simple question, simple answer.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Administrator

jack55 wrote:
Quote:
According to my "open" in PS7, it shows RAW files? So, shouldn't it work in PS7?
No.

RAW files are different between camera models, even when they have the same extension (.orf in the case of Olympus dSLR models).

The Olympus E-510 wasn't added until Camera Raw version 4.2, which requires Photoshop CS3. So, you'd need a 4.x or newer version of Camera Raw for it to work (current is 4.5). Camera Raw version 4.x plugins will not work with earlier versions of Photoshop. So, you'd need to upgrade to CS3 if you want to use a newer Adobe Camera Raw Plugin supporting your camera. Or, you could use Photoshop Elements Version 5 or 6 with a Camera Raw Version 4.x plugin (Elements for Windows versions earlier than 5 won't work with it either).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 1:42 PM   #16

JimC & Old Jim... thanks for clearing things up for me.

I don't want to buy a newer photoshop or CS or Elements as my current PhotoShop works pretty good for me. I'd rather blow $300-$600 on camera gear.

So, I'll do like Old Jim says, convert the RAW in Olympus Master 2 and then work with them in PhotoShop 7. I'll play around with Picasa 3 & Raw Therapee too.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:53 PM   #17

FYI

I have been running Photoshop CS4 the last few days to test it out. It opens RFO files free and clean. No additional programs needed. As you can see you have options at your fingertips.

Just thought I would give you a heads up.
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote