Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:38 PM   #1

Just found out my favorite program, PhotoShop 7 doesn't convert RAW to jpeg.

Doesn't the OLYMPUS Masterâ„¢ 2 software convert RAW to jpeg?

I have that program, but haven't used it yet. Then I can do the rest of the work needed in PhotoShop?

I also have the trial version of Olympus Studio 2. What does that do. Is it worth using?

For that matter, is RAW worth even bothering with?

Forgive the questions as I've never shot RAW before and now plan to experiment with it.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:07 PM   #2

Hi Jack,

As far as software is concerned, Photoshop 7 is pretty long in the tooth having been around (I think) since 2001-2002. The problem here is that your E-510 wasn't around then. It was released around 2006(?).

As new cameras are released by different companies, Adobe writes new software updates and makes them available on their site. Their Camera RAW update version 4.2 has the fix to enable their Photoshop software to recognize the RAW files created by the E-510. Trouble is, that fix only works only in Photoshop Elements 5.0 or Photoshop CS3.

I have Olympus Master v2.04 and it opens and lets you work on ORF. files (Olympus RAW Files). I don't particularly care for it as it just isn't intuitive and the GUI , to me is lousy. It, however, does work.

Don't have so don't know much about Studio 2.

Frankly, I was faced with the same situation you find yourself in. Only difference was that I had Photoshop Elements v4.0 and I needed to go to Elements 5.0 or better. Not liking the fact that Adobe stopped supporting Elements 4.0, I refused to get any newer version. So off I went and found RAW Therapee as well as Stepok RAW importer. Both of these are available free. And, to me most of the time, you get what you pay for. I really didn't like either one.

I ended up upgrading to Elements 6.0.

As to the question of using RAW at all vs JPEG. Raw(ORF.) files are straight out of the camera without any adjustments or compression. You have greater control over the master file. You can better control exposure, recover highlights that may have been clipped, etc. It does add some more work in the process.

This is what I do: For everyday snapshots and candids, I use JPEG. If I'm trying to take a shotin particularly harsh lighting or low lightingor the shots are important to me-i.e. i'm on vacation and I'm never going to be back in this part of the World, I shoot in RAW.

Hope that helps and I apologize for being long winded.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:08 PM   #3

Hi Jack.

Simple and quick for viewing and easy fixes is "Picasa" . .

Take a look, it;s a quick free download.
Go to http://www.google.com top line has the item "more" open that and at the bottom of the drop down find "Even More" that opens into a bunch of free options from Google. Look for "Picasa" and download. I've just gone to their "Beta 3" edition.

Going from RAW or ORF you just choose the shots you want and export to a file (Be sure you send it to the right file and at the right size, you have choices) and they come out JPEG. You can touch up in ORD before or in JPEG later. Or once they're in JPEG you can open them in photshop.

You can send pics right from there to email. make online web albums to show to friends "Or us" and much more.

No it's not Photoshop and no it doesn't cost $600 plus, it's free and fun.

Ken

Oh, I almost forgot. It'll find every photo in your computer and make a library of them. Just so you know.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4

Thanks zig-123 and Scouse. I will try those.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:48 PM   #5

..........hey Jack,

I'm curious, if you are using PS/elements 7.0 the software should carry the Camera RAW 4.5 Plug-in.

I needed to upgrade PS/elements to version 6.0 during the past year for a couple reasons, when I changed computers and started running MS/Vista and too I bought the Olympus E-3. The boxed software (PS/el 6.0) came with Camera RAW 4.3 Plug-in. I was a bit surprised that I needed to immediately upgrade the Plug-in to the 4.5 version which had already been released.......but obviously after the software CD had been cut, the Camera RAW Plug-in version was v4.3.1 at PS/el 6.0 install.

So, if you've not checked the CamRaw Plug-in version I suggest you do that.
HELP
About Plug-in >
Camera Raw........

A popup will show the version selected....... Also, PS keeps a history of the applets in the pulldown list, if more than one is listed (in my case two(2)), select the last one in the list.

If the Camera Raw version is any other than v4.5.x then that may very well be why your PS/el 7 is not handling your .ORF files.

This link may help you
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3943

I do use RAW most of the time and like Zig I sometimes shoot direct to .jpg . I do not use Olympus or PS elements to convert RAW but of course those applications will work for you given that PS has the correct Camera Raw function code installed.

good luck & let us know how it turns out.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:56 PM   #6

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
..........hey Jack,

I'm curious, if you are using PS/elements 7.0 the software should carry the Camera RAW 4.5 Plug-in.
I'm using PhotoShop 7.0, but don't have Elements. I will look into those links you gave me. Thanks for your help.

Update: The links says it won't work with my version of PS.

[img]file:///C:/Users/Jack/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/Jack/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
The Camera Raw 4.5 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS3

Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:10 AM   #7

.............ok, I was a bit confused and wanted to sure if it were elements that the plug-in was correct. It is a bummer when likable software finally wears out.

Ken & Zig have some good interim suggestions, give those a try. I have strongly supported shareware and open source coding for many years. I know what is involved to write this stuff (I've done it) and every once in a while a Raw Therapee piece of code shows up that is pretty good stuff; a new version will be released soon.

Raw Therapee is 'FREE' but a donation to the author should be considered IMO if one continues to use it.

Good Luck,
____
boBB
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:49 AM   #8

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
.............ok, I was a bit confused and wanted to sure if it were elements that the plug-in was correct. It is a bummer when likable software finally wears out.

Ken & Zig have some good interim suggestions, give those a try. I have strongly supported shareware and open source coding for many years. I know what is involved to write this stuff (I've done it) and every once in a while a Raw Therapee piece of code shows up that is pretty good stuff; a new version will be released soon.

Raw Therapee is 'FREE' but it a donation to the author should be considered IMO.

Good Luck,
____
boBB
Bob,

I was a bit harsh when I stated that you get what you pay for. You're right about open source coding and shareware. I just don't happen to enjoy using Raw Therapee or Picasa to process my RAW files as much as I do Elements. I should have just said that. Instead,my statement overlooked the efforts and hard work of those folks who write and design shareware-for that I apologize.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:38 AM   #9

...hey Zig, I don't think it was a harsh statement, and I don't think an apology was necessary either.

I know (knew) exactly what you were saying, please do not take my statement as a rebuttal, it was not and this is not. I believe we should speak our mind about such things as software, what we like and why we don't like, pretty much like cameras/lenses.

Of what I've seen of Picassa it does nothing that interests me, but the program does fit a need and most who use it on a regular basis like it, I have friends (and family) who won't try anything else.

I happen to believe the Raw Therapee project is a good effort that warrants $-donation support if one uses the program.

My support to shareware/FREE code dates back to the mid-80's and thru the 90's when the proliferation of individuals writing small computer code set the directions to what we have today, including photo editors (Paint Shop & Raw Shooter) and so many other code sets which started as shareware/FREE programs such as McAfee anti-virus, PKZip(that is quite a story), emailers and data handlers such as OpenOffice.org and all the old dialup bulletin board code without which we would not be enjoying internet communications in the same way we are today, including Steve's Digicams.com which is a reflection of 'them good old days'

I do not support everything I try.... only those that I like well enough to use or believe a donation may further the development. I agree with Zig, "you usually get what you pay for", and lack of shareware support has run off some good FREE stuff over the years. Heck fire, I won't pay the price for Photoshop because for me there is no ROI.

We now see fewer individual authors putting out code but there is now open source and shareware code written and maintained at development team levels that can and does rival the big guys.

Some of it is worthwhile to somebody.............. a part of the fun of our hobbies is finding ways of making it more fun. In this case, try RAW and the shareware editors and let us hear about them.

thanks for reading my rant,

de pgmCoder

Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:56 AM   #10

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
My support to shareware/FREE code dates back to the mid-80's and thru the 90's when the proliferation of individuals writing small computer code set the directions to what we have today, including photo editors (Paint Shop & Raw Shooter) and so many other code sets which started as shareware/FREE programs such as McAfee anti-virus, PKZip(that is quite a story), emailers and data handlers such as OpenOffice.org and all the old dialup bulletin board code without which we would not be enjoying internet communications in the same way we are today, including Steve's Digicams.com
I'll add another classic. CoolEdit was (and is) a very powerful digital audio file editor. It was purchased by Adobe and is now Adobe Audition, but the older CoolEdit shareware versions are still available on the internet.

One of the features it has, that is usually lacking in more "pro" editors, is its ability to capture a noise signature from a "quiet" part of a recording, and then subtract it from the entire recording. Really nice for those of us doing live recording, to take out the HVAC noise, etc.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote