Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:06 PM   #11

David,

I'm going to echo some advice here- at this stage in the game I wouldn't spend money on any camera body upgrade.

As to lenses - the simple truth is there is no one-lens-does-it-all. Lens purchases should be made based upon individual shooting needs. From your post I get the feeling you believe the 150mm lens you already have is somehow insufficient.

What types of photos are you taking where you find the lens lacking? The reason this is important is - when you get to longer lenses there is no such thing as a QUALITY INEXPENSIVE lens. Doesn't exist. And different lenses have different pros/cons to them. The key (since most people are constrained by budget) is to find a solution whose PROS map to YOUR specific needs. And sometimes the solution to a photography problem is NOT buying a lens but possibly another piece of equipment or changing how you use the equipment you already have.

So, getting back to the question at hand:

What is it about your current photography that you think the two lenses you currently have is letting you down?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:39 PM   #12

Some are kinda hazy, at least the mountain shots are, If I could figure out how to upload my pics I would post them foryou. If you know how to do that and have time to instruct me let me know I would like you to look at them and tell me what I'm doing wrong....Thanks David
outdoorsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 6:03 PM   #13

outdoorsur wrote:
Quote:
If I could figure out how to upload my pics I would post them foryou. If you know how to do that and have time to instruct me let me know I would like you to look at them and tell me what I'm doing wrong....Thanks David
Here are the instructions.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

Although right off the bat when you saythere is haze when shooting mountains I'd say the problem is likely to be more atmospheric than camera related. If you post one, please specify location, date and time (Taking a photo at 2 in the afternoon in the middle of August in many Nortern hemisphere locations is almost always going to have haze).
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:20 PM   #14

Here are some sites that you (and ALL Olympus users) should visit to learn more about using your camera:

- Olympus camera and photography lessons
http://www.olympusdigitalschool.com/

- General tidbits, lenses and accessories that are available, lots of useful info:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:32 AM   #15

Hi David

Welcome to the forum! I can;t add anything to whats already been suggested by the others on forum as its all pretty much spot on advice.

Looking forward to seeing a few pics from the E500 !

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:48 PM   #16

outdoorsur wrote:
Quote:
Some are kinda hazy, at least the mountain shots are, If I could figure out how to upload my pics I would post them foryou. If you know how to do that and have time to instruct me let me know I would like you to look at them and tell me what I'm doing wrong....Thanks David
Next time you reply to a post take a look at the bottom of the dialog box and you'll see a label saying "browse." Open that and it'll take you to "your" files. Just sort out the one you want, make sure it's not too big or it wont work and click "send" and we can snicker at your pic.....:-)

Joking about the snickering, Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:49 PM   #17

Thanks PJM,

I have the mono-pod I will certainly look at the 70-300
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:18 AM   #18

Good morning David and welcome,

I'm a little late in responding to your request for information but everyone has already given you some great suggestions and advice. I would like to just add a couple of suggestions if I may.

First off, Mike has already suggested you visit: wrotniak.net which is a great website and can't be overemphazied. There is a wealth of useful information with no less than a half dozen articles on the E-500 camera not to mention a whole host of practical articles on all things Olympus.

Second, try visiting http://www.biofos.com/ It's a website that is managed by John Foster, an Engligh fellow that also provides a tremendous amount of information on olympus cameras, lenses, etc.

Also, if you haven't already done so,you might want to visit any of the photo hosting sites found on the web for ideas and inspiration. Smugmug, zenfolio, and the site I visit most often, PBase.com

If you run a search on a particular type of photography, you can find a myriad of photographs that should provide ample ideas of what can be doneand how it was done. Here is just one:

http://www.pbase.com/pipkin/birds_of_prey

The reason I chose this particular example is that the photos were all taken with an olympus camera. Most all of them with the E-500. If you take a look at the EXIF data, you'll find the settings and paramters that the photographer usedin order to achieve the image. It's a great way to learn. Of course, it's also going to cause you to lust after additional lenses.

That being said, I'll echo what others have already advised. Get to know your camera first. It's a very powerful and capable tool. Most of all, have fun, take lots of photos, and don't forget to post some so we can criticize-(only kidding)

:|

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:49 AM   #19

I just wanted to add something to zig's post.

There is something to be said for seeking out information about a specific camera or lens BUT, and this is a big BUT - most of the principles involved with a certain type of photography are completely camera independent.

What makes a good portrait shot really is independent of the brand of gear you use. So, don't limit yourself to only Oly people or photos for inspiration. I'm a huge proponent of the genre sections on this forum. If you like to shoot portraits for example - you can learn more from a Nikon portrait photographer than you can from an Oly photographer that doesn't shoot portraits.

Now, the one caveat to my above statement is that when you're looking to make PURCHASE decisions - THEN you want to seek out the Oly specific photos and advice. But if you're just looking to improve landscape shots you do yourself a disservice if you limit your research to only those who shoot Oly. For whatever reason at Steve's there seems to be this cult mentality of staying within the 'brand' you own. You may be surprised to find you could learn a lot from photographers that shoot Pentax or Nikon or Canon. The real key, in my experience isn't that the photographer in question shoots with your specific gear as much as they shoot that specific genre of photography. So don't narrow your learning to only Oly.

Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:06 AM   #20

Thanks Zig and John,

Zigs i have bookmarked that site it is very helpful.

John you are right, I do visit the other camera forums and have viewed their pics. One thing that I have found is that sometimes its not the camera or the equipment itsometimes comes down to how the shot is captured. I've noticed on some of the pics I've seen are all around complete, from the subject to the background to thesetting. There are some really good pics here and some of mine I have found would be "better" if the background were more favorable.