Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:06 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I am a retired Police Officer from NC. I have an Olympus E-500. It came with the 2 standard lens. The 14-45 and the 40-150. I wanted to know how good of a camera people think this is. I'm considering the new Olympus E-3 but if the E-500 is good enough I will just stick with it and upgrade with some better lens. I would also like to know what lens would work best for nature scenes. The 3rd question I had is regarding a tele-converter. How does that work? You get a teleconverter for an existing lens or buy a bigger lens that is compatible with the converter? Thanks David.
outdoorsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:04 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome. You'll probably have a better chance of getting responses to your questions in our Olympus dSLR Forum, where Olympus dSLR owners are more likely to see them. So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:17 PM   #3

...hi David,

You are in the 'right' forum for plenty of advice regarding your camera, the other Oly DSLRs, your lenses and most all the other Olympus lenses and accessories.

I have the E-300, an E-3 and the two(2) lenses you have which are quite good and have a permanent place in my bag. I also have the 50-200 ZD non-SWD which is just a terrific lens for about any photography where more than 100mm can be an advantage. It is my favorite long reach lens but I do have the ever popular 70-300ZD which IMO, and certain others you will hear from, may be the best of the bunch for the cost of it.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, welcome and get ready....you will likely get some good info here. There are some E-500 cheerleaders too.

Thanks for checking in.........
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:08 PM   #4

Hi David: You are in the right forum, there are some very knowledgeable guys on herewho are very patient with newbies to the Oly systems. You didn't mentioned how experienced you are with other cameras, but with your being new to Olympus, I think you have the right camera to develop your familiarity with the 4/3s system. The kit lens are excellent lenses for the money, better than the kits from other manufacturers.

Don't fret about not having an E-3, get to know yourE-500. Time will tell if it's really worth the extra dollars to jump all the way to an E-3. I haveseveral different Oly models, and am a satisfiedwith thephotos I get with them. So far I have no desire to spend the money on an E-3; Iwould rather spend the money onextra lenses.

Free free to ask questions and post photos; you'll like the group here.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the hospitality, I do have alot of questions. I probably will stcik with the E 500 for now and just concentrate on some lens for it. Where can I find Info. on a tele. converter. How does that work?

Thanks

David
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:45 AM   #6

Hi and welcome David,
You did not mention how experienced of a photographer you are. My advice to you is don't buy anything for now but learn to use what you have first. You will find the lenses you have are quite good in their own applications. Nature scenes meaning Landscapes or what. The 14-45 holds it's own there. It is my opinion to learn what you have completely then make your choice of future purchases based on what your current lenses can't do with your style of photography. And, the 500 is a very good camera.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:54 AM   #7

I'm basically a beginner. I understand the "tack sharp" concept and have read Scott Kelby's digital basic book. I have just enough knowledge to be fascinated with photography. I don't really understand the f-stop's on the different lens and how that is relevant, but I do catch on very quickly. I have a small scrap book of what I would call my "show off pictures" that I like. As far as the white balance, the noise reduction, the shutter speed, I don't really know alot about how or when to adjust them, so I guess that gives you an idea on my knowledge, which isn't much. I have photoshop elements 5.0 and I have had some good sucess with that. Otherwise I'm here to learn everything I can from people who know the ends and outs of photography. I probably like nature pics the best as well as B&W. I alwaysgrab my Tamrac carry bag anytime I leave the house, you never know where that next shot is going to appear.

David
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:13 AM   #8

Well then David my advice remains the same. Since you don't understand the basics, learn them and your equipment before any purchases. Once you understand the basics you will be surprised what you can do with what you have.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:04 AM   #9
PJM

I have 2 E-500s and I think they are very comfortable cameras. Instead of a teleconverter I would recommend the 70-300mm and get a monopod.
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:50 AM   #10

Hi David, Welcome aboard.

I've had my E500 for about 3 years now and I'm still impressed with what it can do. Up to a couple of months ago I just used the 2 kit lenses and got some great results. Then like quite a few on this board I picked up the 70-300 Zuiko and that really extended my pleasure with the camera, the macro and range are just great.

As mentioned before though, get yourself really comfortable with the lenses you have. Learn the camera and I'm still learning it and experiment. It took me a while to get over the old film mindset that I only had 36 shots. Now I'll take a bunch of shots and pick the ones I like best!

If and when you have time, go back through the pages of posts here, you'll find as I did some valuable advice and see some fine photographs taken with the olys and their lenses.

The E3 is a top end pro camera and a few people here have and really enjoy using, for me though Oly are coming out with a new camera in the spring that is somewhere beween the 500 series and the E3. with the best of both features. I'm waiting.

Here's one (Very) basic interactive lesson that I and a couple of others found useful.
http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php

Long winded I know...:-)but I like this camera. Take lots of pics, ask questions and let us see what you're shots look like. Nobody laughed at me...out aloud that it.

Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote