Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1

I have 3 camera bodies (Sony A300, Sony A700 and Olympus 410) and I am starting out in wedding photography. I want to use both my Sony A700 and Olympus 410 for a wedding shoot. Does this seem like a good idea? I will use my Sony A700 with a 28mm 2.8 lens and I want to use the Olympus for wide angle shots (14-42 lens) and the zoom shots with zoom lens that comes in the kit. The reason is because Olympus has a better dust cleaning system, so I feel more comfortable changing lenses on the spot. Otherwise I'd use the A700 with the 28mm lens and use the A300 with my 18-70 lens and switch it with my 70-300 when I need zoom shots. Any insight or ideas? Will the 410 produce shots good enough for a wedding? My concerns are low light and noise levels.
Thanks,
Estevan Montoya
estevanmontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:32 PM   #2

The most needed piece of equipment for a wedding is the Flash gun, If it rains and all evening shots you will be using flash, Also if it is very bright I use fill in flash a lot also. and you do need a good flash gun with q quick recycle time. as for lenses the standard 14-45mm (28-90mm) you can do a whole wedding with this lense if need be. other lenses are used for creative work. but rdo use bounce flash and not direct unless its fill in. maybay buy a good diffuser for the flash too.

www.BrianKirkwood.co.uk

most shots taken with E330 and Fl50 Flash with 12-60mm lense, later shots with E3 and 12-60mm lense. I also have the 50-200mm swd too but not used halfe as much as the 12-60mm.

hope this helps.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:48 PM   #3

Thanks. I know I need a flash that can bounce light. I really like the wide angle on the Olympus. I don't have any current weddings lined up, so that can give me time to get a flash.

This is a really hard transition, being that I primarily shoot fine art landscape. Any tips would be helpful.

EM

PS. I am not trying to spam here. I want some opinions on my wedding photos. Here is the link, please don't take this as spam.
www.estevanmontoya.com
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:56 PM   #4

I took a quick look. Your 'gallery' link doesn't really do much except change the featured photo. But I looked through a number of those. I think you have a good artistic eye. The one area where your shots struggle is the low light shots. There's a lot of noise in the shots and white balance starts to suffer. There is where getting flash - and bracket (you can't always bounce) will help. You really shouldn't have that much noise in any wedding shots - you never know what shot a couple might like enlarged.

The key basics for wedding work is - crystal clear, well exposed shots.

Having said all that the one area you're possibly lacking is a long wide aperture lens for ceremony work. You can't count on using flash and anti-shake while very beneficial won't be enough with 5.6 lenses (and 28mm is too short of a 2.8). I would plan on investing in a 70-200 2.8 lens for your sony.

The biggest issue I see with the oly is the lesser dynamic range. I think with wedding work that could pose more of a problem than the anti-dust corrects. That's why your A700 needs to be the workhorse - better dynamic range, better high ISO.

Also a big downside to using 2 different systems is different lenses, different flashes etc. And since you need a backup for all equipment if you're going to do weddings that means buying 2 sony flashes, 2 oly flashes plus backup lenses for each system. Given you're already invested in Sony I don't see buying into ANY other system as a great move unless you were going to go full frame - and if you're going to do that, it just makes sense to get the A900 and keep it all in Sony. That's a lot of extra cash and hassle for an anti-dust system. And if you're careful changing lenses dust isn't a major problem. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of weddings on the beach.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:43 PM   #5

One thing I do have is the other Sony A300. Also, I am looking into the sigma 28-70 2.8 lens. It keeps the aperture at 2.8 the entire range. As for my zoom lens (70-300), you don't think that would be good even with a flash?
Thanks
EM
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:01 PM   #6

estevanmontoya wrote:
Quote:
As for my zoom lens (70-300), you don't think that would be good even with a flash?
Thanks
EM
The problem is ceremonies that don't allow flash. You need some reach to be able to shoot from the sides or back of the churches.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:04 PM   #7

What do you recommend? 70-200 2.8?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:14 PM   #8

Hello Estevan, I looked at your website and you have what I consider to be artistic skill (though I hope that not all of your shots are at 45 degrees!). I know that artistic commentary from a random person on the internet isn't of much value, but take from this what you may.

I have been the official amateur photographer at two weddings this year, using my E3, 12-60, 50-200 and FL36R. This is solid and flexible equipment, though I feel I missed many good shots due to a lack of skill. I also note that changing lenses takes a long time when the pressure is on! Still, my best outdoor shots are candids from the 50-200.

I agree with the others about backup equipment. This argues against mixing systems. I also agree that flash is sometimes necessary, though I wish it was not, since I don't produce particularly nice flash shots (despite bouncing off the ceiling or using bounce cards).

Together, I think this argues for extending your Sony investment, aiming for cleaner high ISO results.

Don't get me wrong; I think skill will triumph over equipment. But in wedding photography, the cost of failure is so high that I would argue for a conservative approach.

Best of luck!
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:27 PM   #9

Well, I think I would use the Olympus sparingly, while my main shooter would be the A700. I like the Olympus because of the kit it came with. I don't really plan on investing on my Olympus. I just want to use it for the zoom purposes. If this doesn't seem like a good idea, then I plan on selling it on ebay, and just using the money for a better lens on my Sony.

EM

Thanks for all the comment and concerns. As for angled shots, I have more that are upright, I just like those shots. THX again
Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:53 AM   #10

Hi Estavan

I'd personally go with the A700 and A300 as the second camera becuase:

* As john mentioned, I would have the A700 as your main camera with the best lens you have because of its higher ISO and better DR. Have the wide angle 28mm on the A300 ?
* Share batteries, flash and lens for both the A700 and A300

You might want to keep the E410 in the car - just incase there's a problem with both Sony's.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote