Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:38 AM   #11

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

Hi Greg,

Good catch....I hadn't heard that as yet. I did go on the Sox' website and here is the article detailing the improvements:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/pr...p&c_id=bos

Sounds like you need to make a road trip to see the Rangers play the Sox!:-)The Rangers are in Boston for a 3 game visit June 5, 6, 7th.

Zig
Absolutely! I'll be on watch for when they put tickets on sale. If it's anything like it was the year I went to Chicago to see the Cubs in Wrigley, you'll want to be on the phone or online the day it happens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:50 PM   #12

You really get great results with your E510, Zig. I loved that camera (although I like my E520 better).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:42 PM   #13

Thanks for the kind words Tullio.

While not having an E-520, certainly one of the things we share is the appreciation for the 70-300mm ZD lens. I brought 2 lenses with me when we went to Fenway, with the 2nd being the 70-300. I'm really happy that I have it as it would have been impossible for me to get any close shots from where we were seated. Our seats were actually about 8 rows from the back of the stadium. Here is a photo taken from our location at 14mm:

Shots 2 and 3 were taken from my seat but using the 70-300mm.

Ifyou have anyinterest in seeing the rest of the photos taken that day, here is a link to the gallery: http://www.pbase.com/zig123/fenway_park

I really have had a lot of fun using the 70-300mm this summer and at the current price, it's really a steal. I've gotten a bunch of flack from certain members of this forum:roll:because it's a "slow" lens but if you work with it , you can get some really fine results.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:30 PM   #14

The 70-300mm is a great lens. It almost feels like it has IS because despite the magnification (600mm with the 2x cropping factor), most shots I take with it are dead sharp.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:34 PM   #15

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Zig,

I was just in an elevatorriding up to the 8th floor where my office is. It has one of those television screens that shows news storiesof the day. One of the stories it showed was the Red Sox are adding 569 seats at Fenway for next year....I wonder where?!
Just thought you might want to know that the Red Sox announced that they are not going up on next season's ticket prices citing the economy as the principal reason. They conveniently didn't mention that their prices are already the highest in MLB.

Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:27 PM   #16

I doubt the new Yankee Stadium will be a cheap ticket, either....

Yes, I'll need to get my hands around everything, from airfare, to where to stay close by...assuming there is such a place, or at least, somewhere that allows easy reach by public transportation. Always a lot oflogistics to work out in a trip like that.

I can understand Sox ticket prices to a point...it's a popular product, and going there is way more than about just going to a ball game. It's being played, literally,in a livingmuseum for baseball. I saw in looking at the link you provided,they were going to be making some major renovations to parts of the stadium first built in 1915.

Too bad the White Sox were not good for decades in keeping up with maintenance at oldComisky Park. Back in 2004 when I went to Chicago for those games with the Cubs, it would have been neat going to Wrigley for a day game, thenriding the red line to South Chicago for a night game there, but heck, their new stadium is, well...kind of boring like ours down here. And besides, we are talking South Chicago....at night....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:48 PM   #17

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I'll need to get my hands around everything, from airfare, to where to stay close by...assuming there is such a place, or at least, somewhere that allows easy reach by public transportation. Always a lot oflogistics to work out in a trip like that.

I can understand Sox ticket prices to a point...it's a popular product, and going there is way more than about just going to a ball game. It's being played, literally,in a livingmuseum for baseball. I saw in looking at the link you provided,they were going to be making some major renovations to parts of the stadium first built in 1915.
One of the nice features of Boston is it's small insize. It''s quitea managable city to get around. Fenway Park is in Kemore Sq. and is on the main trolley line. Getting there by public transportation is easy.

Depending on budget, there are hotels close by in Brookline, Cambridge & Boston. I would try to stay in the City by the Harbor. It's downright lovely in June and would be a great place to use as a base.

As for Fenway, the best thing that could have happened to the Park and the Team was the sale to the Henry group. The previous owners simply didn't have the money to invest in the renovation of the Park or invest in the talent. For an old Park, it's a unique experience in that you're so close to the action, you can hear the players talking from your seat.

I hope it works out that you can take in a game.

Zig