Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:48 PM   #1

...in another thread I said to Mikefellh:
Quote:
BTW, I believe you once posted a link for parts purchase for repairing the FL-36 lock ring assembly, mine has been broken for months and it is time to fix it. I once found a place, seemed reasonable.... the whole assembly at about $40.

Problem is I cannot find the link now, forgot what it is, did not save in bookmarks camera folder and just getting tired 'googling'.... any ideas or suggestions.
.....to which Mike replied:

"Yes, go directly to the site here:
http://www.uscamera.com/fl36.htm

Probably the easiest part for repair would be the entire assembly for $40, looking at the picture it appears to connect with just plugging in the wiring harness and doing up the four screws...the other parts appear to require more work to do the repair.

Note I have not done business with this company, I'm only passing on the link."

AND.......... I did order the part and received exactly the assembly, it was in a bag with the Olympus part number tag affixed. A #5 TORX (quite small) and 4 screws later all was well with the FL-36.

I used secure verified PayPal to pay for the order, I made a mistake in shipping instructions at order time, Gray sent me an email..... I corrected the order by sending another $2.00 via PayPal and there it was. The mistake I made was at checkout time I chose a different ship selection for the part than what was indicated as minimum in the main ad.

For my experience I will recommend USCamera, especially for the FL-36 repair parts such as I needed.

I am happy that again the flash will now lock to my cameras and I will be more careful when setting the lock ring.
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2

............just a note to say I did a repair price request of Olympus USA for the FL-36 flash. The reply was for the 'out of warranty' flat rate repair for the FL-36 @ $103.00.

For the broken lock ring repair, which is what my need was, the flat rate charge would have been too much IMO.

The $45.00 from USCamera for the parts assembly made for a reasonable cost and easy fix to put FL-36 new again.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:17 AM   #3

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
............just a note to say I did a repair price request of Olympus USA for the FL-36 flash. The reply was for the 'out of warranty' flat rate repair for the FL-36 @ $103.00.

For the broken lock ring repair, which is what my need was, the flat rate charge would have been too much IMO.

The $45.00 from USCamera for the parts assembly made for a reasonable cost and easy fix to put FL-36 is new again.
I love a deal !!! Olympus' pricing sounds awfully high. Not to mention you would have been without the Fl-36 for 3 weeks or so.

FWIW, I finally broke down and picked up a used FL-36 at B&H Photo, which by the way, was in pristine condition for 145bucks US delivered. Another reason not to senda flashunit back to Olympus for repair.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4

Default Olympus FL-36 Flash lock-ring repair?

Bob,

Your note on this a couple of years ago said the process was a simple one, i.e., remove 4 small screws, disconnect the old flash shoe assembly wiring connection, connect the new assembly wiring connection, and replace the 4 small screws. That seems pretty simple. But did you have any problem getting the old assembly to disconnect from the rest of the flash housing (i.e., where the 2 plastic pins shown in the uscamera.com photo plug into the rest of the flash housing)? I have tried to pull the parts apart after removing the screws, but find that to be extremely difficult. Any hints you (or any other forum members) may have on this would be most welcome (I'm delaying ordering the assembly until I am sure I can get the parts separated successfully).

Thanks for any help you may provide.

HJLarsen
HJLarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:08 AM   #5

....hey HJ,

I do not remember having any difficulty with the wiring connections and I am not certain whether the connections were wire-to-wire or wire-to-board.

Look for a 'clip-lock' at the connection point of the wiring harness, there may be one.

About the only thing I recall is the working area is quite small and I did not have difficulty in replacing the assembly.

Good Luck, I wish I could recall better for you.

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM.