Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:46 AM   #11

I appreciate everyone's comments. I am leaning towards the Olympus 510. You can pick this up now for about $550 with the camera and two of the standard zukio kit lenses. That is a pretty good entry price for moving up from a point and shoot. I can put the savings toward on of the prime 50mm lenses sooner.
Comments?
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:45 AM   #12

Im happy with my e-510, so I think youd be too.

As far as 50mm primes go, you have essentially two options:

the zuiko 50mm f2 macro for about $400
and the new sigma 50 f.14 , which is either coming out or brand new, for about $500
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:54 AM   #13

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
I can put the savings toward on of the prime 50mm lenses sooner.
Comments?
Hi! I do want to point out that a 50mm lens on a 4/3 camera is equivalent to a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera (film or DSLR). Is that the field of view you want?

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:18 AM   #14

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's comments. I am leaning towards the Olympus 510. You can pick this up now for about $550 with the camera and two of the standard zukio kit lenses. That is a pretty good entry price for moving up from a point and shoot. I can put the savings toward on of the prime 50mm lenses sooner.
Comments?
I too own an E-510 and am generally pleased with the camera. And, at the price point that the E-510 is currently being sold online, it's a compelling choice. Having said that, no camera in this price range is perfect. Each has their own features as well as foibles.

The E-510 has built-in image stabilization, has the abililty to be customized to each user's preferences. The GUI is easy to use and intuitive(IMO). Takes great images. Equally important to me, is that it "feels" right in my hands. It's fairly light but feels quite sturdy and doesn't feel plasticky-as so many other cameras do.

A couple of things that I don't care for are:

1, the optical viewfinder is small in comparison to one that I was used to on my 35mm slr. If you happen to wear glasses, like I do, it's a bummer. If you don't wear glasses , then it's not an issue.

2, The settings that the camera is set at are displayed on the right side when looking thru the viewfinder. They are rather difficult to read. This may or may not be an issue to you.

3, The Dynamic Range is not, quite frankly,as robust as in some other cameras.

If I were to buy a camera today in this price range, I would get the E-520 which appears, from the reviews I've read and comments made in this forum, to have better dynamic range and better control over it.

As Fldspringer as mentioned before, but it's worth repeating, go to a camera shop and get your hands on each of the cameras you're interested in. Take a look at the user interface of each.Examine how they "feel" in your hands. Bring along a CF card and take a bunch of test pictures which you can then take home and review them on your PC. See which camera gives you the results that you're looking for.

And as far as the 50 primes go, my recommendation to you would be to get the camera with the kit lenses first. Get to "know" the camera and lenses and whatthey can do. Once you get comfortable with the capabilities of what you have. It will then be much easier to decide what your next lens requirement might be.

The good news today is that mostall DSLRcameras are pretty amazing instruments and are quite capable of giving really pleasing results. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:32 AM   #15

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's comments. I am leaning towards the Olympus 510. .....
I too own an E-510 .........
3, The Dynamic Range is not, quite frankly,as robust as in some other cameras.

If I were to buy a camera today in this price range, I would get the E-520 which appears, from the reviews I've read and comments made in this forum, to have better dynamic range and better control over it.
Good to hear the perspective of an owner. The 520 is going for about ... well.. $520 :-) online with the 14-42 lens. The 40-140 lens is going for about $200. While the 40-140 is only a standard lens, it would be nice to have that included. That puts the 510 at about $200 "cheaper" than the 520 as a package. How bad is the DR problem? I guess I could shoot everying in HDR :lol:
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:37 AM   #16

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
I can put the savings toward on of the prime 50mm lenses sooner.
Comments?
Hi! I do want to point out that a 50mm lens on a 4/3 camera is equivalent to a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera (film or DSLR). Is that the field of view you want?

Ted

Ahh, good point. I keep forgetting about the 2x multiplier. I guess the pancake
http://tinyurl.com/56rlhn
lens would be the closest to the traditional 50mm lens. My father has a 50mm lens from his SLR that take really nice portraits and macro.

On an unrelated subject. How do you link URLs to words on this board. The editor has buttons for flash, WMV, quicktime, etc... but no hyper link button I can find....
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:00 AM   #17

Hotoru wrote:

Good to hear the perspective of an owner. The 520 is going for about ... well.. $520 :-) online with the 14-42 lens. The 40-140 lens is going for about $200. While the 40-140 is only a standard lens, it would be nice to have that included. That puts the 510 at about $200 "cheaper" than the 520 as a package. How bad is the DR problem? I guess I could shoot everying in HDR :lol:

Hi,

To me, the dynamic range issue is not a big enough reason for me to upgrade from my E-510.I can usually overcome those times when the Lighting is harsh or in high contrast situations by adjusting the contrast setting to -2 and the saturation setting to -2 while setting the exposure to -03 or lower, if the need arises. Also, if the shots are really important to me, I'll shoot in RAW, where you have a higher degree of control over the image. I only brought this matter up in the interest of full disclosure as many user's of competitive camera's always cite dynamic range as an Olympus shortcoming.

By the way, the 40-150mm lens can be found on E-Bay and Craig's List for a whole lot less than $200.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:34 PM   #18

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
Ahh, good point. I keep forgetting about the 2x multiplier. I guess the pancake
http://tinyurl.com/56rlhn
lens would be the closest to the traditional 50mm lens. My father has a 50mm lens from his SLR that take really nice portraits and macro.
Well there is the wonderful Leica 25mm f/1.4, but being that fast it's a fairly large lens and it's not a macro. Also it's been hard to find one available for purchase. Sigma has a 24mm f/1.8 macro that is available in a 4/3 mount.

My impression is that 50mm-equivalent lenses aren't as popular in the DSLR world as they were in the film days. If you want a macro, Oly does have a 35mm f/3.5 so if you could live with a 70mm-equivalent lens you could consider that one. But many folks here find that macro photography works better with long telephoto lenses, because you can stay farther away from the subject. For that, if you get atelephoto kit lens all you need is the EX-25 extension tube - you might start with that.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote