Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:49 PM   #11

Number 2 owns!
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:35 PM   #12

Thanks for the links for EXIFTools. I'll download it when I get a chance later tonite.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 5:52 PM   #13

Hi Tulio

THose are some fine pics and further goes to show how good both the 520 and the 70-300 are - plus you always need a fab photographer behind tha camera too!

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:53 PM   #14

Thanks very much for your kind words, Harj. The 70-300mm is a fine lens. I obtained great results with it and the E510 and now the trend continues with the E520.

Zig, here's a shot from the same series but w/o any PP. Not bad in terms of noise considering the 800 ISO.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:31 AM   #15

Hi Tullio,

Thanks for taking the time to post the unprocessed image. Not bad is an understatement!!:-)

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:40 AM   #16

You're welcome, Zig.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:05 PM   #17

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Bahadir, you have a great memory. Indeed, you were the one who introduced me to Neatimage a few years back and yes, a red flower was the first picture I ran through it. I don't use it that often because I find it very intrusive. It can smudge/smear the image quite a bit if one is not careful. Nevertheless, it is a handy tool to clean up noise.
Oh, though I have never been proud of my memory, I think there's still room in it forbeauty and friends : )

As for yourthe unprocessed image you've posted; I would hardly tell that it was shot more than iso 400!The colour and the lifelike droplets have quite appealed to me

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:50 PM   #18

Thanks, Bahadir. I was a bit surprised myself at the IQ produced at ISO 800. Granted the conditions were not extreme (real lack of light), which helps quite a bit. As you can see, the shutter was 1/500 at f/8, so I did have a bit of room to reduce the ISO w/o suffering from camera shake.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:59 AM   #19

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Bahadir. I was a bit surprised myself at the IQ produced at ISO 800. Granted the conditions were not extreme (real lack of light), which helps quite a bit. As you can see, the shutter was 1/500 at f/8, so I did have a bit of room to reduce the ISO w/o suffering from camera shake.
Ishoud say it's always useful to follow you,Tullio : )I'd also like to see a comperative wide end and zoom end comparison of this lens (eh, a mid zoom example wouldn't hurt:-))! Hey, with only half the price of the Bigma (sigma 50-500) for my present dslr, it enables a great zoom range (140-600 eqivalent) almost offeringthe e520 bodyas a bonus!! Am I wrong?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 12:19 PM   #20

You make my day, Bahadir:-)

You are correct, the 70-300mm on a 4/3 camera translates to 140-600mm. This is one of the biggest advantages of the 4/3 system. The lenses are smaller but offer greater reach. The downside of it is noise, which is more difficult to control at higher ISO values due to the small sensor size. However, as you can see, the newer Oly models are doing a much better job in this department.

I will take some shots with the 70-300mm at both 70mm and 300mm to show how it compares. I'll probably start a new topic focusing on it. So, stay tuned!