Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 5, 2008, 2:57 PM   #11
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

See this page for the full press release with photos:

Olympus E-30 Digital SLR





JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 2:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
I will be looking very closely at this model myself. Very tempting... of course, there are other things I need more right now, like the 24" iMac I want to get sooner rather than later.
For me it's a simple matter of so many toys to buy, so little discretionary income:?:?:?
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Hi All,

The Olympus website has a pretty detailed release of the E-30 including detailed video explainations of the 'AF Liveview' and face detection technology. It's worth taking a minute to look at it

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...30&msg=yes

One item of note is that the website states that the "estimated" price of the E-30 is to be $1,299. Sounds like this price isn't written in stone as yet.






zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
For me, it's mainly a sensor issue. The E-3 sensor doesn't especially impress me (not for the price). The E-30 has more MP and if it can do that without increased noise or dynamic range problems, that would make it a buy for me. We shall see.

The lack of weather sealing is a non-issue on the E-30 and not worth the money on the E-3. In 40 years, I've never taken a camera into conditions that would require it. Yes, I suppose such occassion do arises...I'm just not paying a lot for a feature I MIGHT use once during the life of the camera.

One minor feature on the E-30 that really appeals to me is the built in level guage. I live on the prairie and those flat horizons are just murder! I doubt that I get 10% of my broad horizons level. It drives me crazy.

But still, it's 90% sensor. If they can get good DR andno increase in noise out of 12.3MP, it'll be a winner.
I suppose its different strokes.

I have the E-3. Before that (and still do) the E500. I remember several times over the year it was my main camera when I was keeping it under the rain coat and bringing it out only to fire a shot and pray it would keep working.

The weather sealing is a huge peace of mind issue for me. I still dont keep it out in the elements, but I'm not as worried anymore.

To me the E-3 sensor is fine. I actually don't see much difference until you jump to 35mm full frame, and thats an extra grand. That and I don't want to lug the long lenses around.

I've had the E-3 for more than a year, and I think its worth the price paid to me. If it went up in smoke, I'd likely buy another.

The E-30 is exciting. I'm gald they filled the void between the E520 and the E-3. Its not in my plans. The E-3 fits my needs.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
For me it's a simple matter of so many toys to buy, so little discretionary income:??:?
My sentiments exactly, Zig. I would love to have one of each of the E-series, but I have to pay the mortgage.

I do like the artistic in-camera filters, and the built in level indicator. To me the E-330is the best handling Evolt under the E-3. I couldn't justify the price to upgrade to the E-3; I just hope that the price of the E-30 drops some more after the first of the year. I definitely likethe articulating screen of my E330, and any replacement would have to have that feature, plus be relatively affordable. But I'm more likely tospend the money on some more lenses instead.

Steve R.


Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 8:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
My sentiments exactly, Zig. I would love to have one of each of the E-series, but I have to pay the mortgage.

I do like the artistic in-camera filters, and the built in level indicator. To me the E-330is the best handling Evolt under the E-3. I couldn't justify the price to upgrade to the E-3; I just hope that the price of the E-30 drops some more after the first of the year. I definitely likethe articulating screen of my E330, and any replacement would have to have that feature, plus be relatively affordable. But I'm more likely tospend the money on some more lenses instead.

Steve R.

Hi Steven,

You're right about the articulating LCD screen. My first expierence with a digital camera having an articulating lcd screen was the Oly C-5060WZ. I never realized how handy that feature was until I started using it when we went on a vacation in Italy. There were crowds everywhere we went. In order to get a shot of a popular location, I just lifted the camera over the crowd with the screen tilted downto where I could see the shot, then took the photo. It is a wonderful feature and one that I miss having.

Zig









zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:40 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,901
Default

Hi zig: yes the C5060 was a very nice handling camera. I still have several digital Olys, but the two that have the articulating screen are still my favorites.If I come across a C7070 for a good price, I would like to add it to my collection. My C8080 is probably my favorite all around camera, and I still use it frequently. One of the reasons I went with the E-330 over the E-500 was the similarityto the C8080 and its' articulating screen. I also had a large collection of OM lens, and I still use several of them with the E330.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi zig: yes the C5060 was a very nice handling camera. I still have several digital Olys, but the two that have the articulating screen are still my favorites.If I come across a C7070 for a good price, I would like to add it to my collection. My C8080 is probably my favorite all around camera, and I still use it frequently. One of the reasons I went with the E-330 over the E-500 was the similarityto the C8080 and its' articulating screen. I also had a large collection of OM lens, and I still use several of them with the E330.

Steve R.
Hi Steven,

Much as I loved the C-5060wz, I had to get a camera that had image stabilization. That's why I sold it and my E-500 (another great cam) and upgraded to the E-510.

One thing I've noticed in recent days is the pricing for the E-3 is coming down. I saw a factory demo body only being sold at $1,215US on EBay. I have to think that the pricing will continue to drop once the E-30 is officially on the store shelves. And, that would be a good thing for those of us looking to upgrade.


zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:07 PM.