Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2008, 5:58 AM   #1

Just saw this and thought I'd pass along the announcement of olympus' new E30 model.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...amp;subj=Crave

edited 8:50am:

Well, this link was working up until a little while ago.................

Perhaps, Olympus forced CNET to remove it.

Anyways, from what I remember, the E-30 has a 12.3mp sensor, articulated LCD 2.7"screen, larger OPV with 98% magnification, 5FPS, no weathersealing, MSRP $1299

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:34 AM   #2

I'd like to know how they got 6.5 fps from the E-3.

Taint happening.

I wish they'd say something about weight. As I see it, that's the only reason I'd choose it over the E-3.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:56 AM   #3

Since I'm not a sports enthusiast, the fps is not a major concern to me. But yes, I did catch the fact that the article stated E-3 fps @ 6.5.

Since I own an E-510, I've had a great deal of interest in the release of this new 'interim' Dslr for OLy. I think the writer of the CNET article is right in that there is a large gap between the E-520 and the E-3.

I've always been a bit unhappy with the OPV of the E-510. That and a new sensor,improved AF, articulated LCD would really get me interested in upgrading. However, if the MSRP is going to be $1299 then I might as well wait a little longer and save up for the E-3 with weatherproofing-which is certainly worth the add'l 200bucks to me.

Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:17 AM   #4

Here is a photo of the E-30
Attached Images

Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:26 PM   #5

Hi Guys

It looks an interesting cam and I'm wondering at what price they are going to pitch the camera and how it will faire (price wise) to the competition.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:33 PM   #6

Hi Harj,

Suggested price is 1299 for the body.

You can read about it here:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/...ween-e-520e-3/
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:17 AM   #7

I'm not so sure about this one. Seems to me that springing the extra $200(+/-) for the E-3 would be a better option. I've never been much impressed with candyfloss bells and whistles, 90% of which I never use. I couldn't justify upgrading to this from my E-510, I'd jump right to the E-3.

Nor do I see this as fitting between the 520 and E3 price-wise.
Here in Ontario, Canada the E-510 bod retails for $500, E-520for $600, and the E-3 for $1700 (not necessarily "best prices").

Unless OLY is intending to upgrade the E-3 and increase its price by a wider margin.

I'm more interested in the second generation 14 - 54 mm lens thats being released at the same time. Was hinting at the 1st gen for Xmas.. had to put the brakes on that for the time being (although gift certs are a great idea :-))!

Bob

OLY US has just added the E-30 their site, still waiting for OlyCan to update.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1430

Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:41 AM   #8

For me, it's mainly a sensor issue. The E-3 sensor doesn't especially impress me (not for the price). The E-30 has more MP and if it can do that without increased noise or dynamic range problems, that would make it a buy for me. We shall see.

The lack of weather sealing is a non-issue on the E-30 and not worth the money on the E-3. In 40 years, I've never taken a camera into conditions that would require it. Yes, I suppose such occassion do arises...I'm just not paying a lot for a feature I MIGHT use once during the life of the camera.

One minor feature on the E-30 that really appeals to me is the built in level guage. I live on the prairie and those flat horizons are just murder! I doubt that I get 10% of my broad horizons level. It drives me crazy.

But still, it's 90% sensor. If they can get good DR andno increase in noise out of 12.3MP, it'll be a winner.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:43 AM   #9

Retread wrote:
Quote:
I'm not so sure about this one. Seems to me that springing the extra $200(+/-) for the E-3 would be a better option. I've never been much impressed with candyfloss bells and whistles, 90% of which I never use. I couldn't justify upgrading to this from my E-510, I'd jump right to the E-3.

Unless OLY is intending to upgrade the E-3 and increase its price by a wider margin.

Bob

I was quick to dismiss this new camera until I read some of the specs in the press release as issued this morning. The new 12.3MP live sensor along with the new firmware/softwaredealing with improving dynamic range and 11 point AF system has my interest.

In the end, I may still upgrade to the E-3 due to having a larger OPV and weatherproofing but the E-30 sounds like a major improvement over my E--510. In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to it's release and subsequent reviews.

Zig

Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:10 PM   #10

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

I was quick to dismiss this new camera until I read some of the specs in the press release as issued this morning. The new 12.3MP live sensor along with the new firmware/softwaredealing with improving dynamic range and 11 point AF system has my interest.

In the end, I may still upgrade to the E-3 due to having a larger OPV and weatherproofing but the E-30 sounds like a major improvement over my E--510. In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to it's release and subsequent reviews.

Zig

I will be looking very closely at this model myself. Very tempting... of course, there are other things I need more right now, like the 24" iMac I want to get sooner rather than later.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote