Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:36 PM   #1

For those you who haven't found this as yet, here is a link to the E-30 release at Imaging Resource.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E30/E30A.HTM

This is the most complete explanation of the E-30 that I've seen to date. Well worth a look.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:47 PM   #2

The more i look at the e30, I do like what I see (apart from the art filters but hey thats just me) but I'm wondering why they kept the resolution on the LCD low when all the other manufacturer's are fitting 900k LCD's to theirs. They need to give the E30 some additional plus points and a new high res LCD would have been a good one to have. I'm also wondering what improvements if any they have made to the AF system on the camera and if these are firmware only or require additional hardware. If its just firmware than they need to provide an update to the E3.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:34 AM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
The more i look at the e30, I do like what I see (apart from the art filters but hey thats just me) but I'm wondering why they kept the resolution on the LCD low when all the other manufacturer's are fitting 900k LCD's to theirs. They need to give the E30 some additional plus points and a new high res LCD would have been a good one to have. I'm also wondering what improvements if any they have made to the AF system on the camera and if these are firmware only or require additional hardware. If its just firmware than they need to provide an update to the E3.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
The information published in the fourthirds.com release of the E-30 state that the AF System is the same as that of the E-3. It also has the capabilityto calibrate AF for either a Sigma or Panny 4/3 lens. It also has a fine adjustment AF feature, although I'm not quite clear on exactly what that is.

Everything I've read about the E-30 is good news to me. I'm really looking forward to some in-depthhands on reviews.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:24 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
The more i look at the e30, I do like what I see
Hi, Harj and Zig

I like it a lot also (so far - we'll have to see how it performs*).But the price is high enough that I'm not sure I'd recommend it over an E3 at this point.

The funny thing is, I've becomepersonally more intrigued with an M43 cam, just because there's an attraction to the lack of mirror-slap since I often shoot a sequence of pix, in a religious ceremony where that noise distracts the participants. I wonder about two things though: a) howwill regular 4/3 ZD lenses perform on them, and b) how much noise does the iris in a ZD lens make when you trip the shutter on an M43 cam.

Ted

* Get a cup of cofee here, Zig - Polish Physicist explanation follows (grin).

Many folks may not realize that performance of a DSLR has just as much to do with the processing software in the cam, as the sensor. This is because no DSLR is reallya digital camera - the sensor is analog just like film was. Regardless of whether the sensor is a Charge-Coupled-Device or a Complimentary-Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor, they both need an Analog-To-Digital-Convertor (ADC, also needed inhome theater audio systems) and ADC designs vary widely in quality. And after the ADC there's more processing software. (Oly is well-known for the quality of color rendition in their DSLR cams, because of the quality of the processing software built into the cam.)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:11 PM   #5

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
The more i look at the e30, I do like what I see
Hi, Harj and Zig

I like it a lot also (so far - we'll have to see how it performs*).But the price is high enough that I'm not sure I'd recommend it over an E3 at this point.

The funny thing is, I've becomepersonally more intrigued with an M43 cam, just because there's an attraction to the lack of mirror-slap since I often shoot a sequence of pix, in a religious ceremony where that noise distracts the participants. I wonder about two things though: a) howwill regular 4/3 ZD lenses perform on them, and b) how much noise does the iris in a ZD lens make when you trip the shutter on an M43 cam.

Ted

* Get a cup of cofee here, Zig - Polish Physicist explanation follows (grin).

Many folks may not realize that performance of a DSLR has just as much to do with the processing software in the cam, as the sensor. This is because no DSLR is reallya digital camera - the sensor is analog just like film was. Regardless of whether the sensor is a Charge-Coupled-Device or a Complimentary-Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor, they both need an Analog-To-Digital-Convertor (ADC, also needed inhome theater audio systems) and ADC designs vary widely in quality. And after the ADC there's more processing software. (Oly is well-known for the quality of color rendition in their DSLR cams, because of the quality of the processing software built into the cam.)
Et tu Brute?

Seems to me I recall-not too long ago- one Polish Physicist on a tear that anyone should be talking about an m43 camera in this forum..

Actually, truth be told. the Lumix G-1 surely has captured a lot attention-including mine. That's not to say that I'm going to get one anytime soon. But if it's as good as the first reviews indicate, it might be something I'll pick up for my wife.

BTW, I'mdrinking a doubleexpresso as I type this response to you. And, we in the home theater group:?? call that a DAC.

One last note, as I try to be semi serious, who knows what the pricing for the E-30 actually will be when it's on the store shelves. But I think it's having a bit of an effect on the E-3. I've beenlooking at the selling price at various sites and it seems that you can get an E-3 body for $1299US. Cameta, Amazon as well as Willoughby is currently advertising that price for a new body. My own feeling is that, if the pricing continues to go south, I think I would buy the E-3 with it's larger OPV and weathersealing over the E-30.

Zig
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:42 AM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Seems to me I recall-not too long ago- one Polish Physicist on a tear that anyone should be talking about an m43 camera in this forum.

Actually, truth be told. the Lumix G-1 surely has captured a lot attention-including mine. That's not to say that I'm going to get one anytime soon. But if it's as good as the first reviews indicate, it might be something I'll pick up for my wife.
Hi, Zig

I'm just pretty skeptical of EVFs, and it's not clear that full 4/3 lenses will keep all their functionality when mounted on a M43 body. But it would be nice to have an SLR that is as quiet as a rangefinder cam, as long asI don't need to buy more lenses. (Of course, with a shutter and the auto lensiris,no M43 will be totally silent.)

DonalDuc over in the PanaLeica forum seems happy with his G1, although he bought the M43 lens with it. One reason I'd prefer an Oly is that if I have to learn a new menu system my brain will explode. Although they've added more features, Oly hasn't changed the basic structure of its DSLR menus sincemy E20 (so I assume it's actually unchanged since the E10), and when I'm in a hurry to change settings I like knowing where to look.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:28 PM   #7

Hi Ted: You are right about not all Oly 4/3 lens having full compatibility now. They require an Oly update, as as of now those are only available for the following:

..Zuiko Digital 28-84mm equivalent (ED 14-42mm Four Thirds) f3.5-f5.6 lens;
  • Zuiko Digital 80-300mm equivalent (ED 40-150mm Four Thirds) f4.0-f5.6 lens;
[/*]
Zuiko Digital 50mm equivalent (ED 25mm Four Thirds) f2.8 lens;
  • Zuiko Digital 70-200mm equivalent (ED 35-100mm Four Thirds) f2.0 lens; [/*]
  • Zuiko Digital 70mm equivalent Macro (35mm Four Thirds) f3.5 lens.
[/*]
However, it is expected that more lens will be added to the list in the coming months.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:12 AM   #8

Not sure how many have seen this, but I just took a look at a video presenting the E-30 over at Digital Camera Review:

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...w=olympus+e-30