Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:31 PM   #11

Greg Chappell wrote:

Actually, meant to say the difference was not insignificant. The extra wide end of the 12-60 makes all the difference to me, and the SWD motor even runs the AFpretty darn fast on an E1.

The new 14-54 seems way overpriced to me, too.

Mybelief is that the market will determine what the price will be. Once the lenses hit the stores and there aren't enough sales, Oly will reduce the price to reflect what the market will pay.

i.e. the 9-18mm lens which has only been out for a very short time is already being sold on Amazon.com for $539.00.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:24 PM   #12

Hi Guys

I also can't see why Oly updated the lens. I had been of the opinion that with the 12-60 and 11-22 the 14-54 was pretty much redundant. The new lens doesn;t have SWD which I find odd as I would have thought SWD would be standard for all new HG zukios. If the new lens is as sharp as the 12-60, provided SWD, CAF and better bokeh then I could sort of see the point but this MKII I don;t think so. I agree with Greg about the 12-60 being the more attractive of the two lenses.

Cheers

Harj

:?:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:01 PM   #13

The 12-60 certainly offers a nice, very useful range BUT...it's not cheap ($756 at Amazon). This is more than twice of what I paid for my 14-54mm ($315). I think the new 14-54 should cost about $450 and the 12-60 no more than $600 (and that's a stretch).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:45 PM   #14

Hi guys: it's my understanding that one of the main reasons for the new MKII label for this lens is not so much for different glass elements. But rather one of the major changes for this new versionis for the background blur. The new lens will have a perfect circle in the aperture opening, to make for better looking out of focus backgrounds. If you look at the back of the current lens, the iris opening is not a perfect circle. the new lens also is for the contrast detect AF. I'm not sure if you will see much of an improvement in lines of resolution, that remains to be seen.

and you are right, it is the street that will determine the final price. I don't expect the "suggested street price of $599" will hold up for long.

Steve R.

P.S to Greg: As you can see, I continue in my refusal to use that particular "word", if you catch my drift.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:54 PM   #15

An updated 14-54 is more appealing to me than the 12-60.

I've got the 11-22. For that reason, it's hard for me to justify adding the 12-60 to my collection. I could spend a lot of money to buy a lens that's ALMOST as wide as the 11-22 by essentially overlapping it to within a millimeter. I just don't need it. Not that the 12-60 isn't a fine lens but I've already got too many lenses with ridiculous amounts of overlap.

On the other hand, if I can save a couple of hundred bucks and get a high quality lens that doesn't almost entirely overlap the range of the 11-22, I'd probably buy it. The 11-22 and 14-54 would make for a reasonably priced, one-two punch lens kit.
Brent Gair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:15 AM   #16

Brent Gair wrote:
Quote:
An updated 14-54 is more appealing to me than the 12-60.

I've got the 11-22. For that reason, it's hard for me to justify adding the 12-60 to my collection. I could spend a lot of money to buy a lens that's ALMOST as wide as the 11-22 by essentially overlapping it to within a millimeter. I just don't need it. Not that the 12-60 isn't a fine lens but I've already got too many lenses with ridiculous amounts of overlap.

On the other hand, if I can save a couple of hundred bucks and get a high quality lens that doesn't almost entirely overlap the range of the 11-22, I'd probably buy it. The 11-22 and 14-54 would make for a reasonably priced, one-two punch lens kit.
Interesting perspective and one that I share as I have the 14-54mm old style. I too wanted a 12-60mm but found it just too darned much money. During the summer I was able to pick up the 14-54mm and have never looked back. It is one beautiful lens and with the release of the new version 14-54, the price of theoriginal will further be reduced.

I'm looking at getting the 9-18mm lens. That with the 14-54mm and the 70- 300mm will give me all that I'll need in terms of range.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:39 PM   #17

I'm actually on the market for an old 14-45mm. From what I've seen and read, the IQ is very good (although not as good as the 14-54 but I can get one for $70 rather than $315 on eBay. Obviously the 14-54 has good advantages over the old kit lens but... I want to at least check it out.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote