Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:25 PM   #1

Incase everyone missed it, Oly have updated the 14-54 F2.8-3.5 while they announced the E30. In some ways its a "big" deal as this lens does CAF, has better bokeh than the older lens and I'm assuming also better sharpness than the current lens. Not sure if it has SWD or not but its amde me think that the curent 14-54 may not be firmware upgrade able to using CAF and therefore which other lenses fall into that category.

Just noticed they added the silver and blue ring around the barrel.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:39 PM   #2

Thanks for the update, Harj. This is indeed exciting news. I doubt this lens won't be an improvement over the old one (although I don't find the new 14-42mm and 40-150mm kit lenses better than the old ones - they are smaller and lighter but not necessarily better IMO). The question is, what is the price tag Olympus is putting on it? I also assume that this lens' AF will work with the G1 (the old 14-54 does not).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:26 PM   #3

Hi Tulio

PRicewise I think the new 14-54MKII is going to retail for $699, so around $200 less than the 12-60 which makes me think why the update ? I'm assuming that the new lens is as good or better IQ than the 12-60, with CAF but without the SWD, although I'd say Oly would be a bit stupid to leave out the SWD on any new HG or SHG lenses.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:27 PM   #4

Hi Gang:

According to Olympus, the lens will be available as of Jan 2009 at a list price of $599.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:31 PM   #5

Hey Steve

Thanks for clearing that up! I'd like to see what reviewers state about the lens and hwo it compares to the new SWD glass.

http://olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_a...5_ii_20235.htm

I'm suprised theres no real details on the lens spec.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:32 PM   #6

$599, hey?!? I think $499 would be more like it. Oh well...
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:30 PM   #7

Give it year and you'll find it for $499 on Amazon or at Adorama. :G
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:46 PM   #8

The old 14-54 is a beautiful lens. No doubt this one will be an improvement and find many buyers, but still has the same issue that caused me to move to the 12-60 in that it stops at 14mm. The difference of a 35mm field ofview of 24mmcompared to28mm is not insignificant. $599 is, I think,$100 more than the original 14-54 cost when it first came out.

Of all the "new" lenses they could havecome out with, this one's hard to figure.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:17 PM   #9

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
...but still has the same issue that caused me to move to the 12-60 in that it stops at 14mm. The difference of a 35mm field ofview of 24mmcompared to28mm is not insignificant.
Hi Greg, I'm not sure I understand your comments. At first, you give the impression that the reason you went with the 12-60mm was because of the extra 2mm on the WA side (4mm after the 2x cropping factor). But then you state that the field of view between 24mm and 28mm is not significant. I think that overall, the 12-60mm has a much more useful range since you gain some "mm" on both ends. However, I find this lens to be way way over-priced. I have the old 14-54mm and find it to be a great lens but I don't think the new one will be worth $600. The old 14-54 performance is not too far from the old 14-45mm kit lens. It is superior but nothing that blows you away.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:47 PM   #10

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
...but still has the same issue that caused me to move to the 12-60 in that it stops at 14mm. The difference of a 35mm field ofview of 24mmcompared to28mm is not insignificant.
Hi Greg, I'm not sure I understand your comments. At first, you give the impression that the reason you went with the 12-60mm was because of the extra 2mm on the WA side (4mm after the 2x cropping factor). But then you state that the field of view between 24mm and 28mm is not significant. I think that overall, the 12-60mm has a much more useful range since you gain some "mm" on both ends. However, I find this lens to be way way over-priced. I have the old 14-54mm and find it to be a great lens but I don't think the new one will be worth $600. The old 14-54 performance is not too far from the old 14-45mm kit lens. It is superior but nothing that blows you away.
Actually, meant to say the difference was not insignificant. The extra wide end of the 12-60 makes all the difference to me, and the SWD motor even runs the AFpretty darn fast on an E1.

The new 14-54 seems way overpriced to me, too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote