Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:45 PM   #1

Hi, all

I bought an Oly legacy 100mmF/2 thinking it would allow me to sometimes not use the large ZD 35-100 f/2, since I typically use that lens wide open at 100mm.

I've been playing with the legacy 100mm and have the following observations:

1. Manual focus with a 200mm (eq) legacy lens, wide open at F/2 with little DOF, is difficult. The ZD 35-100 f/2 on the E3 always reaches focus on a monopod. (Don't believe the old rumors that the E3 has focus problems.)

2. So to give the legacy 100mm a fair shake I bought the JinFinance butterfly adapter. I mounted it on the E3 on a tripod and compared it to the ZD 35-100 f/2. My experience with that is that sometimes the 100mmF/2 focus is dead on, othertimes it's not. (All of this at f/2.)

3. I believe the legacy 100mm can do fine, stopped down, and if I added a Katzeye to the E3 I'd probably be OK. But for the E3 a Katzeye is not a user-installed option.

4. I could add a Katzeye to my E-500 but that cam doesn't have the high ISO performance I need for shooting at F/2 at EV 5.

My conclusion is that long FL legacy (manual focus) lenses don't work so well, wide open, on a modern pro-level DSLR. Shorter FL legacy lenses may be fine, but that's not what I need for the work I do.

But the experiment was fun.

Anyone want an Oly 100mmF/2 lens? (grin)

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:28 PM   #2

Hi Ted

Thanks for th mini review of how the old OM 100 f2 works with the E3. What was the cA/Purple fringing like with the lens ? A friend of mine picked up a 180mm f2.8 for his L1 - a really nice lens, excellent reach but it had some very bad CA and he ended up returning the lens. I'm wondering if Oly provided AF confirmation for the E3 if that would have helped with the OM lens ?

The 100 F2 macro is due at some point but I'm wondering what price it'll be, its size, whether a macro lens would be good enough if it doesn't have a limiter for a portrait lens. I'd like oly just do a 100 f2 - straight portrait lens, whether I;d use one I'm not sure - definitely if its of a reasonable size.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:56 PM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ted

Thanks for th mini review of how the old OM 100 f2 works with the E3. What was the cA/Purple fringing like with the lens ?
Hi, Harj

The times when I was able to achieve good focus with the Oly 100F/2, the color was fine (no purple fringing), and in fact it seems to have a bit more contrast than the ZD 35-100F/2. I'd like that lens a lot if I just could count on it enough to take reliable (focused) photos, andI think that folks who don't need to shoot it wide open will be happy with it. As they should be, since in these days it's an expensive legacy lens.

Ted

Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:01 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I'd like oly just do a 100 f2 - straight portrait lens, whether I;d use one I'm not sure - definitely if its of a reasonable size.
I would use a 100mmF/2if Oly produced one, and the IQ was good. It wouldn't need to be a "reasonable size" if you think about the 35-100F/2 you andI haul around. I'm still looking for one of those Sherpas in the US, that you seem to have in the UK (grin).

Although I do want to say that the 35-100F/2 on the E3, works better on a monopod than the legacy 100F/2 does on real sticks.

Ted

Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:48 PM   #5

Hey Ted,

Thanks for posting your insights relative to the OM 100mm f2 lens. While I would have liked to have heard a different result, I'm not totallysurprised. After messing with a number of non ZD digital lenses this last year. I've come to realize that manual focus results are just a mixed bag and I've no clear understanding of why some of the shots come out okay while others 'stink'. I've tried different settings on the E-510 using live view with manual focus all while on a tripod.. the last thing I bought was a split-focus screen from Jin Finance. End result is pretty much the same.

At one time I thought that with the larger OPV on the E-3, manually focusing an OM lens would be a snap. Guess I was wrong.

As a result, I've decided that I'm just going to buy Olympus ZD digital lenses rather than 'throw' money away.

Guess I'll justhave to take a look at another 'slow' lens :roll:like the ZD Digital9-18mm f4-5.6

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:59 PM   #6

Hi Ted: Thanks for the info. I've apparently had better results than you, but then again, my 100mm Zuiko is only an f2.8, and I rarely shoot wide open. So the very small DOFof your f2 does impact your focus. I used the jinfinance adapter with the focus confirmation LED. Is that the one that you are using.?

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:29 AM   #7

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
I used the jinfinance adapter with the focus confirmation LED. Is that the one that you are using.?
Hi, Steve

Yes, that's the one I'm using. And it gives a focus confirmation even when the lens isn't quite on focus. One thing I noticed, though, is that I don't get a focus confirmation unles the shutter release is pressed down half way (on the E3). Rong Jin's directions don't say that that's necessary. Is that how yours works?

Ted
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:02 AM   #8

Yes, that's right, kind of press the shutter part way while turning the focus ring.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote