Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:42 PM   #1

I'm not sure if anyone else does this, here in the states but when you're in need of a picture frameforthat specialphoto have you ever considered going to Home Goods?

Let me explain, about a year ago, my wife corralled me into going to Home Goods with her because she was buying something big and needed my help and my truck to haul it back home. While I was there, I noticed that they sell framed prints complete with double matting for rediculously low prices. The framed prints generally run from 12bucks to about 50bucks - depending on the size. I just buy the framed prints when they're on sale-which is 12 to 15bucks, take out the print and insert my photo in it's place.

The quality of the frames are reallyvery good and you get the glass, frame, and matting for the price of the glass alone. I don't know how they do it- but it's great for the times you need a nice frame complete with mat and don't want to spend a fortune.

Now just to be clear, I don't work for Home Goods, don't own any of their stock, etc. - I just thought if any of you are cheap, like me, you might want to know.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2

Hi zig: Thanks for the info; so often the best suggestions are those where you say: Duh!! why didn't I think of that??

I lived in Atlanta for a time, and my wife shopped at a craft/home store called Garden Ridge. When I went there, I discovered that they carried a huge supply of frames and mats of all sizes and shapes at really good prices for the "do-it-yourself" crowd. I used them frequently. But when I moved back to Florida, there is no such store in Tampa. I drifted more to the electronic LCD frames with rotating images displayed. The frame shops were more expensive than I cared to spend to display a print.

But we have several Home Goods stores nearby. So thanks again for the suggestion, and we will say good by to thoseframe shops!!

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:51 AM   #3

....yep, done that for sure a couple times

Just last week Bonnie & I were at Michaels, I was looking for an 11x14 for this one for my son, I found one for under $20 that worked quite well.

Also we have the Home Goods, Garden Ridge and Hobby Lobby stores locally, all good sources.

Thanks for the post Zig, it never occured to me that someone else might do such a thing too.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:25 AM   #4

Hi guys,

I figured I wasn't the 1st to discover this but thought it might be worthwhile for those who hadn't thought of it yet mainly because most guys don't set foot in a place like that.

One thing that I didn't mention in the 1st post is that I find a lot of great frames there but sometimes the openings are a bit on the odd size. For that reason, it's good to have a decent printer at home so you can manipulate the size to suit.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:52 PM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

One thing that I didn't mention in the 1st post is that I find a lot of great frames there but sometimes the openings are a bit on the odd size. For that reason, it's good to have a decent printer at home so you can manipulate the size to suit.
I have an "OK" printer at home for up to letter sized prints. One thing I have done for largerodd-sized frameshas been to layer a print I wanted to frame on top of a traditional-sized background for printing at Smugmug, then taken the resulting print to Hobby Lobby and had themtrim it using a much more precise cutter than me with scissors.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:50 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone else does this, here in the states but when you're in need of a picture frameforthat specialphoto have you ever considered going to Home Goods?

Hi, Zig

Thanks for the suggestion. In the DC area I hadn't seen one but after your suggestionI found that there's one or two out far from the metropolitan area, which I will check out.

I also wanted to note that I have framed a lot of large prints over the years, using the excellent American Frame e-store. Their prices are good and their web site design is terrific. All you need to do to work out all the frame and mat dimensions, is to accurately measure and enter the original size of the artwork. Then their site walks you through the rest of the construction of the frame (1 or 2 mats, etc.) without you needing to compute dimensions - they do it all based on relative dimensions (do you want a 1" mat, etc.). I have found that I can do a large posterfor around $40 which ain't bad considering that when they ship the package all you need to do is minor assembly and you have a very professional result.Also they have a very good selection of metal and wood frames and mats, in a wide variety of colors. The only downside is that their cover is plexiglass although they do have UV-inhibiting/low reflection plexiglass - presumably shipping glass is too risky.

If you need to do larger (poster-sized) prints I highly recommend them.

Ted

Edit PS: If exact frame color is important to you and you haven't calibrated your monitor I recommend you get a hard copy catalog from them, to be sure of the colors especially the mat colors. Also, if you are undecided among a few choices, they will sendyou samples, especially if they know you. All in all, excellent customer service!

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 2:38 PM   #7

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the tip on American Frame. I'll bookmark the site later today.

As Imentioned, Home Goods is a great place for frames-provided you have some flexibility. Sometimes, I just can't find a suitable frame size due to the photo I want to frame. Having an alternative is therefore valuable.

Zig