Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:57 AM   #11

BuddyBoy wrote:
Quote:
Hello-My E3 gets stuck and doesn't take the picture. It just sits there stuck and the shutter doesn't complete its cycle. I have to shut the camera off to reset. I am in M mode, S-AF with live view. It seems to have something to do with the focus for when I manually focus it sometimes works.
Thanks,
Warren
Another couple possibilities.

First, are you using a battery grip. Oly has had a bunch of trouble with the things. If you do use a grip, try taking it off and see if the problem persists.

Second, I have heard of a couple cameras that had the mirror break free and that should be seen with the lens off.

Sorry to hear your problem and hope the reset does the trick.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:31 PM   #12

Hi Warren

Not too sure what to add in terms of advice that already hasnlt been said and Greg, thanks for pointing out the grip issues with the E3 and it would be good to know if the problem that Warren has could be due to the new grip.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:53 PM   #13

I reset the camera and things are working now. This is an intermittent problem so I have to use it for a while and see if it reoccurs. I do not have a grip by the way. The lens is an Oly 12-60 mm ZD. Thanks for the help
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:55 PM   #14

BuddyBoy wrote:
Quote:
I reset the camera and things are working now. This is an intermittent problem so I have to use it for a while and see if it reoccurs. I do not have a grip by the way. The lens is an Oly 12-60 mm ZD. Thanks for the help
Hi,

Not sure if you're aware of this but Olympus had a problem a while back with the 12-60mm lens. Specifically there was an intermittent focus problem. This may be the root cause of your issues.

Not all the 12-60mm lenses were affected but there were enough to have Olympus issue a service notice.

Here is a link to the information found on the Olympus website dealing with this issue:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...pport_1260.asp

Good Luck
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:22 AM   #15

Hey Zig-123-Thanks so much for the heads up on the lens bulletin. I am packaging it up now to send it in for repair.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:31 AM   #16

Hi BuddyBoy, Greetings from England, I was experiencing many faults including what you describe, my E-3 was returned to OLYMPUS UK for repair and the exposure system was replaced, I am not alone with this I know of many more, one lad has had 3 E's replaced and repaired for the same problem. What is frustrating that mine has started playing up again so will have to be returned.

Inevitably you will have to send your E-3 for service, I hope this helps you and other forum users if only to confirm there is a problem with the E-3 locking up, its not just a one off and not your imagination.

NOTE: I have used 3 batteries and 4 CF cards to test and these are not faulty.

Fault 1: Using pop-up flash, camera locked up, no functions on the camera work, only the top LCD control panel lit.
Settings: Custom or Default, regardless of lens used.
Frequency: Happened 6 times out of 10 times I have used the pop-up flash.

Scenario: Night low light: The E-3 was being used with the pop-up flash, I took 5 shoots over 5 mins, the camera locked up? switched the camera "OFF/ON" I reset the camera to default settings and I took another 4 shoots over 10 mins, the camera locked again? Switched the camera "OFF" this had no effect and I had to remove the battery, when the battery was replaced the camera would not switch on for 10 mins.

Fault 2: Using sequential shooting H/L, camera locked up/mirror locked up, no functions on the camera work, only the top LCD lit.
Settings: Custom or on reset to Default, regardless of lens used.
Frequency: Regular

Scenario: Day: Whilst sequential shooting in either H/L mode camera will lock up, on occasion the camera has locked after a few shoots, more common when a few shoots are fired, pause then fire again. On 5 of these occasions the mirror has locked up too and there is a whirring sound. Camera will not switch off even if left for a few mins, you have no alternative but to remove the battery, when you re-insert the battery the mirror comes down.

Fault 3: Using wireless flash function, all photos underexposed.
Settings: Custom or Default
Frequency: happened once

Scenario: Indoor: Set up two FL36R's all settings on camera/flash correct, photos were under exposed regardless of adjustment of setting, reset the camera everything worked fine.

Fault 4: Battery indicator flashes red intermittently with fully charged batteries, either in camera or HLD-4

Scenario: On occasion in use the battery indicator flashes red with fully charged batteries, this is in the camera on HLD-4, if you switch the camera "off/on" battery indicator states batteries are full.

This seems to be a common fault and it's about time OLYMPUS got their act together and sorted this problem once and for all.

Good Luck: Ian

Simba2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:18 AM   #17

Hi Simba-I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I got the lens back from repair and it is working now. I hope that is the end of my problems. :O