Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:07 AM   #1

Just looking to see if anyone can recommend a great lens for the Olympus E500 for taking portraits. I have a new baby and would like to be able to do my own shots as opposed to going elsewhere...If anyone has any suggestions and recommend one, it would be much appreciated :-)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks in advance :-)
stephiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2

stephiemac wrote:
Quote:
Just looking to see if anyone can recommend a great lens for the Olympus E500 for taking portraits. I have a new baby and would like to be able to do my own shots as opposed to going elsewhere...If anyone has any suggestions and recommend one, it would be much appreciated :-)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks in advance :-)
Hi,

Congratulations to you on this great occasion!

As for your question relative to portrait lenses. You'll get many different responses on this question,I think. But from my perspective, proper lighting, and set up ismore important than lens choice. That's why the first thing I would suggestis for you to take a look at a couple of the Olympus tutorials relative to how best to take indoor shots of children. While they may not be exactly geared towards babies, they'll get you started in thinkinghow bestto set up a shot, different lighting techniques and the use of an external flash and diffuser.

http://www.olympusdigitalschool.com/...its/index.html

I use a 14-54mm ZD lenswhen taking portraitsof my grandchildren. I've also used the 50mm f2.0 macro lens for this purpose. It's a stunningly sharp lens and really does wonders with portraits. My only problem with the lens was that it might be a tad too sharp when taking a portrait. I often had to post process the image in Photoshop to soften a bit.

By the way, the tutorial above uses the 14-45mm ZD kit lens. Take a look, well worth the read.

Congrats again,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:55 PM   #3

I agree with Zig.. you can;t really go wrong with the 14-54ZD and esp at its current prices, although you do have the new MKII on its way. There's also the 12-60 SWD or if you can get your mitts on it the Leica D 14-50 as well. Finally, you might find that your 14-45 kit lens is pretty sharp and good for what you want to do as well.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:48 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Zig
Me too - his advice was excellent, and also in the flash thread here. I thought coffee was only a Religion in the Pacific Northwest part of the US, but since I figure heis on a roll, workingoff ofa double latte, it mustbe aReligionin the New England area of the US also (grin).

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:34 PM   #5

hi StephieMac
.......ok, I will throw in my 2-cents!

I have the 14-54ZD lens and everyone here knows that I think it is just the right lens for most everything close and portrait like. I too, have the original 14-45ZD that I like to use every once in a while because it is a terrific lens, is lightweight and easy to work with. The newer 14-45ZD is even lighter and IQ of the files from either is near identical to the other.

So, if you have a 14-45 'kit' lens with the E500 I suggest you work with it 'til you know you would do better if only you had 'better' lens. If you do not have the 14-45 then I suggest the Olympus 14-54ZD, as Harj mentioned the current price is quite good, the 14-54 is a very good lens.

I hope to start seeing some of your photos soon. Oh! and I agree with them other guys, good advice especially Zig's.
_________
boBBrennan

Here are a couple samples from both the lenses.

...my granddaughter E-300 w/14-45ZD 35mm f/8.0 1/60sec ISO 100

.........my other granddaughter E-3 w/14=54ZD 35mm f/4.0 1/125sec ISO 1250

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:34 PM   #6

Why thank you guys.........I consider it high praise that anything I may say makes any sense at all.

Ted, as for the coffee, in the interest of full disclosure, I do add a touch of a certain brown liquid normally distilled in aparticular region in France to my coffee. It helps clear the mind.

Zig

Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:43 PM   #7

...hey Zig,

I like 'honey' in my coffee but I use the local stuff from Waxahachie, Texas. You are talking about the honey of the bee aren't you?

Is it snowing there yet? Starting to cool off down here now.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:59 PM   #8

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Ted, as for the coffee, in the interest of full disclosure, I do add a touch of a certain brown liquid normally distilled in aparticular region in France to my coffee.
France? Not Ireland? Huh?

(grin)

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:07 PM   #9

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
...hey Zig,

I like 'honey' in my coffee but I use the local stuff from Waxahachie, Texas. You are talking about the honey of the bee aren't you?

Is it snowing there yet? Starting to cool off down here now.
____
boBB

Hi Bob,

Although I do like honey, particularly in my tea at night I was actually referring to a little cognac that I use to 'spice up' a cup of coffee from time to time.

As for theweatherup here, yikes it's cold! I had an opportunity to go to the Keys this weekend with a buddy to do a little fishing. Our plans were to stay 'til Thursday. Monday evening, we got a call that his mother-in-law had died from a stroke.

We got the next available flight to Boston and arrived to 38degree temps. This morning, I woke up to ocean affect snow falling, temps in the low 20's.

Guess it's time to hunker down for the Winter.

Zig

Ted, the stuff from Ireland is good too!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:43 PM   #10

Hi Stephiemac,

Somehow, I've managed to get your post sidetracked into a totally different area which doesn't help you at all. For that I apologize and would like to add a couple of points to get this back on track.

First off, most of the responses have all suggested the use of a zoom lens .i..e. 14-45mm or 12-60mm or the 14-54mm lens as opposed to a prime lens such as the 50mm f2.0.. Reason being, that you can fill the frame with your baby without having to get too close and risk frightening the baby with the flash. With a prime lens, you have to physically move closer to your subject in order to fill the frame. a zoom offers a great deal more flexibility.

Second; If you take a look at Bob's two sample photos. Two features of the images pop out and make them standout. In both shots, the subject's eyes are focused on the camera and in both, the eyes are perfectly sharp and in foucs.

When taking a portrait shot focus on the eyes of your subject. If the eyes of the subject are in focus, you'll have a great shot. you'll find that as you zoom in on a face, the closer you get, the thinner the depth of field. This means that some of the subject's face may at times, be slightly out of focus. As long as the eyes stay tack sharp, your results will be a great deal more satisfying.

And, as Bob mentioned, do post some images of your new baby.

Zig