Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2008, 5:58 PM   #1

A day game, but very overcast and played in Texas Stadium so had a definite evening type light. Kept the AF in continuous, shot RAW and usedburst shooting.

With the 12 image RAW buffer, the only real limiting factor was the 3 or so image per second burst speed of the E1. Started out at ISO 400, then upped it to ISO 800 to get the shutter speeds up to 1/800 second. Could REALLY have used the faster f3.5 setting of the 50-200 Zuiko at 200mmvs. the f5.6 maximum speed of the 70-300 at 300mm. The bright,100% finder of the E1 is always a pleasure toframe an imagewith.

Had to sneak one in with the 12-60 Zuiko. This isprobably my last time in Texas Stadium, which is going down after this year..

A split second after I snapped this, the receiver was separated from the ball with a vicious hit..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:36 PM   #2

Hi Greg

Now thats a superb series of shots and its a shame that you couldnt take the 50-200 with you but looking at the pics the 70-300 looks to have done a fine job. Now with all of these restrictions in place I wonder if you could get away with an m43 based camera with a m43 version of the 50-200 - I'm assuming its size would be close to the 70-300 or even smaller so the stadiums would never look at it as a serious camera - even more so if you got one in red or blue !

I'd like to shoot something similar with the E3 and 35-100f2 but Ive just not had the chance and see how well it would perform.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:16 PM   #3

Greg, a couple shots with some good action.

But I think there are 3 major things working against the images:

1. Lack of faces. Half the shots are from the back and the ones with the action coming towards are underexposed so you can't see faces.

2. Noise. If you haven't run these through noise reduction I would suggest it. There's quite a bit of it in the players.

3. Angle. Were you in the stands for these? Not much you can do about it if you don't have access to the field. If you do have access, you want to get lower so you're not shooting down on your subjects.

Of the series the last 2 have the most potentional. But the underexposure (i.e. no faces) and high noise keep them from being as good as they could be.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Now thats a superb series of shots and its a shame that you couldnt take the 50-200 with you but looking at the pics the 70-300 looks to have done a fine job. Now with all of these restrictions in place I wonder if you could get away with an m43 based camera with a m43 version of the 50-200 - I'm assuming its size would be close to the 70-300 or even smaller so the stadiums would never look at it as a serious camera - even more so if you got one in red or blue !
Quote:
Hi HarlTT,
Quote:
I have some serious doubts if the current Panasonic mecrio four-thirds cameras' finderis really good enough for even this type casual shooting I was doing from the stands. It was so easy to shoot continuously and follow the mainsubject over a series as a play was made. I still think there's enough hesitation and flickering and would make it a challenge to keep a player framed over a series of 4-5 shots in something like a 2 second burst. For a single shot, yes, if you can time it well enough.

I'd like to shoot something similar with the E3 and 35-100f2 but Ive just not had the chance and see how well it would perform.
Quote:
I'd like the E3 myself for this type stuff....and the 90-250 f2.8....and a field pass...

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:45 PM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Greg, a couple shots with some good action.

But I think there are 3 major things working against the images:

1. Lack of faces. Half the shots are from the back and the ones with the action coming towards are underexposed so you can't see faces.

2. Noise. If you haven't run these through noise reduction I would suggest it. There's quite a bit of it in the players.

3. Angle. Were you in the stands for these? Not much you can do about it if you don't have access to the field. If you do have access, you want to get lower so you're not shooting down on your subjects.
Quote:
Yes, I was in the stands. Around 8-10 rows up.

Of the series the last 2 have the most potentional. But the underexposure (i.e. no faces) and high noise keep them from being as good as they could be.
Quote:
Other than posting here, there'd be little where else these would go. These were just for personal entertainment.It's always fun being able to take ANY type outfit like this to a game at the big stadium. The Prince of Darkness (Jerry Jones) does notallow anyDSLR into Cowboys games anymore unless it is attached to a press photog. I truly would not be suprised if he didn't evenallow digicams into the new stadium. His photographypolicy, combined with ticket prices, means I won't be gracing the doors of that palace any time soon.
Quote:
I went back and played with a couple a little bit, applying some Neat Image filtering and not adding any sharpening after conversion, which helped a little bit, but I didn't go all the way attempting to get rid of all the noise. I also noticed some of these guys were wearing those dark visors over their eyes, so the best exposure from the sidelines with the best cameras,would have been needed to reveal detail in some cases. They were there, and I am sure they did.

Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:13 AM   #6

Greg,

I do notice a couple players have shields but the majority in these photos do not. The ones that do not are still underexposed. Proper exposure isn't going to change much from your position to the sidelines. The key for football, regardless of where you're shooting is to expose for the faces not the uniforms. I realize thes pictures are for your own entertainment but I would think if you're going to go through the trouble to bring a camera along and take photos as a photographer I would think you would want to get the best quality shots you could. Proper exposure would not only help with the faces but also with the noise problem in these.

Expressions are a big part of sports shooting. It makes a very big difference as it humanizes the photos. And, granted you may wish to discount myopinion because I don't shoot Oly, but others reading might be open to suggestions for how to alter their technique to get better shots. And exposing for faces is a technique that dramatically improves sports images.

Here are a couple shots - not to hijack the thread but just to show how having faces in difficult lighting can make a difference:

shot 1: bright light (faces in deep shadow)

Shot 2: no exciting action but thefacial expression makes it a compelling shot

shot 3: again, not great action but the eyes/faces make this more compelling:

shot 4: no flash but again I think seeing the face makes it a more interesting shot:

Again, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. Just trying to illustrate the point I'm trying to make that faces can make the shots look better - even if there isn't great action in the shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote