Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:02 PM   #1

Hi, today winter arrived in Germany. I took the train to the Eifel, a mountain area close to the Ardennes. We had a meeting with our Oly-Forum. There is a wild-life park were they bread raptor birds and even offer a flight show. It was amazing, the birds fly freely and they come back. They let come a sea-eagle cruize just a hand over my head. Fotos are done with the E-3. Please notice, that some white particle are due to the snow - it´s not noise.
http://barann.zenfolio.com/p636228405
Best regards, Martin

barann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Hi martin

Those are pretty fine shots, esp the BIF ones.. and the first i've seen from the E3 where action (in this case inflight) is just nailed spot on. Did you use CAF for that series or just normal AF ? Just curious to the camera settings and technique you used.

The landscape shots with all that snow look just great too .. although I'd not want to be out in that much snow for too long !

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:08 PM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi martin

Those are pretty fine shots, esp the BIF ones.. and the first i've seen from the E3 where action (in this case inflight) is just nailed spot on. Did you use CAF for that series or just normal AF ? Just curious to the camera settings and technique you used.

The landscape shots with all that snow look just great too .. although I'd not want to be out in that much snow for too long !

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Hi, I did use the "normal" AF, just tried. The pictures I show are about 10 % of what I did. I thought much about correcting the light: for the portraits I underexposed -2/3, when the birds were sitting in front of a dark background. That came out nice, since no distracting details can be seen. ISO was 400 - noise is still not visible. The lens was the old 50-200. When birds were in flight, I prefocused before on a tree or something else in the appr. distance.
Thanks for the comment, Martin
barann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:22 PM   #4

Hi Barann,

Very nice gallery, and thanks for sharing.

The birds of prey at rest photos are especially impressive. You nailed the exposure perfectly. Great composition and results.

As for the snow, I could do without!

regards,

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
As for the snow, I could do without!

regards,

Zig
That was all I could think about in looking at each of those imagesmyself. If I added up all the snowaccumulations we've had down here in my lifetime, it probably still would not equal what was there the day you took those! Beautiful place though.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote