Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:24 AM   #1

Hi all,

It's raining, cold, raw up here in the Northeast. Too lousy to take photos. So I thought I'd surf the net this am and found this post on Fourthirdsphoto.com.

Srf4real posted some surfing images using an E-3 and the 70-300mm lens. Really pretty fine shots and a fine example of the quality you can get out of the lens.

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/sho...686&page=3

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:43 AM   #2

That's not the first time I have seensomeone comment about the 70-300 focusing faster to much faster on the E3. Those are some very nice shots.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:10 AM   #3

Hi Greg,

I've also read that the 70-300 focuses faster on the E-3. That certainly is one quibble I have using it with the E-510. I'm patiently awaiting the official release of the E-30 and see how that performs with a 70-300.

I'm hoping to upgrade from the E-510 to either an E-3 or E-30 in the next 6months or so. How this new camera performs will determine which direction I'll go.

Anyways, I thought the surfing photos were pretty well done.

Zig
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:20 AM   #4

Yes, they were.

Saturday when I went to the high school football playoffgame at Texas Stadium, I had my E1 set to continuous AF with the 70-300 and it did a very good job when I'd track a runner across the field, either side to side, or running straight at or away from me. I deleted veryfew files due to being out of focus and the ones I didwere mainly movement blurdue to the shutter speed being too slow to freeze action, not bad AF. This lens must just absolutely jump into focus with the E3.

The timesmy 70-300has racked back & forth searching for focusare when I try to jump from a subject that's maybe10 feet away to one across the field. WhenI took it to the Baylor-Wake Forest game, from time to time someone would get up 4-5 rows in front of me as I was panning to follow a play in the fieldand that wouldthrow the AF system into a back & forth racking idiot and it'd take asecond or twoto get things back in order.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:22 PM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Saturday when I went to the high school football playoffgame at Texas Stadium, I had my E1 set to continuous AF with the 70-300 and it did a very good job when I'd track a runner across the field, either side to side, or running straight at or away from me. I deleted veryfew files due to being out of focus and the ones I didwere mainly movement blurdue to the shutter speed being too slow to freeze action, not bad AF. This lens must just absolutely jump into focus with the E3.

The timesmy 70-300has racked back & forth searching for focusare when I try to jump from a subject that's maybe10 feet away to one across the field. WhenI took it to the Baylor-Wake Forest game, from time to time someone would get up 4-5 rows in front of me as I was panning to follow a play in the fieldand that wouldthrow the AF system into a back & forth racking idiot and it'd take asecond or twoto get things back in order.
I'm curious to hear how the continuousauto focusof the 70-300/E-1 combo compares to that of the E-510/70-300. I've pretty much given up on CAF when using my E-510 and the 70-300mm lens. I've tried numerous times to capture a bird in flight using CAF. I've had about zero success - and it really doesn't matter if the bird is coming straight at me or straight back or going from side to side. The lens goes into slow focus mode and just focuses back and forth without actually getting into focus at all. Very frustrating.

Zig
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:01 PM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

I'm curious to hear how the continuousauto focusof the 70-300/E-1 combo compares to that of the E-510/70-300. I've pretty much given up on CAF when using my E-510 and the 70-300mm lens. I've tried numerous times to capture a bird in flight using CAF. I've had about zero success - and it really doesn't matter if the bird is coming straight at me or straight back or going from side to side. The lens goes into slow focus mode and just focuses back and forth without actually getting into focus at all. Very frustrating.

Zig
I would have to try it on a bird. Their flight patterns can be so random. I would figure following one across the sky would create more issues than following a football player across the field, and a bigger subject like aplayer, even at distance,is probably easier to aquire focus initially.